PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best compositing work?

andre_alder
07-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Hi guys,

Which is the best compositing work that you have seem in your life?
I am talking about 3D + live shot + mate painting + ........

I vote for "Lord of the Rings". All that movie is great, is very hard to choise just one part.
Who was the guys make that fantastic work and what app they used?

AD

jlelievre
07-15-2003, 02:43 AM
Hey Andre....

Choosing just one movie for the best compositing? Very tough! :)
I will agree that Lord of The Rings has some great compositing and other effects, but there are other films that have great compositing as well. Almost every movie these days seems to have some sort or CG set extension, matte painting, etc. The primary goal for any compositor or effect artists is to create something, (or someone) that in reality does not exist and make it seem believable. Building a CG building and comping that into a scene is relatively simple these days. It's creating CG characters that's the test. Gollum in LOTR (IMHO) is still the best CG creature to date.

An example of great compositing in The Truman Show. It just happens that it was on last night and it's fresh in my mind.
http://www.matteworld.com/film/1997/truman.html These artists at Matte World Digital have worked on numerous movies over the years. Upon going through their website, you'll be amazed at how many movies had effects you didn't even notice. :)

cheers

Joel
http://www.intrinsia.net

3DDave
07-15-2003, 09:20 AM
I would have to say Starwars Episode 2. I was amazed at the integration that was done. Each shot had at least 20 to 50 layers that were layered with true depth and attention for detail.

Secondly the work on the Two Towers with Golumn was stunning to say the least. Now does that count if it was a ton of grunt work painting out the actor that played Golumn?

TrenZ62
07-15-2003, 01:37 PM
I dont know if any of you have seen Taken. Its a sci-fi channel movie directed by Steven Speilburg.(I think thats how you spell his name) Anyways everything about that movie was amazing I think. If you havent seen it I suggest you do they'll be playing it again in September. The movie is about 10 hours long they play it for 2 hours a night for a week.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.