PDA

View Full Version : How to install the DEVKIT correctly?

AtrusDni
04-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Hey guys, im new to the API and im trying to isntall the devkit Maya Plugin Wizard for visual studio. Im pretty lost. In the instructions it says:

Unzip MayaPluginWizard2.0.zip

Copy these files to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcprojects":
MayaPluginWizard.vsdir
MayaPluginWizard.vsz
MayaPluginWizard.ico

Copy the MayaPluginWizard directory to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCWizards"

Start Microsoft Visual Studio 8 and invoke File -> New -> Project -> Visual C++ Projects and select MayaPluginWizard.

Alrighty, seems straight forward enough . . . although the folders it tells me to put the files in dont exist in the first place . . .

Secondly, it doesnt show up in the new projects selection when I start Visual Studio . . .

Anyone who has got this setup and would like to shed some light on this subject, it would be much appreciated.

Oh and for the record, im using Maya 2009 with Visual Studio 8 / 2005. Is this an issue, or is this the correct IDE that I should be using?

saedAbdelhafez
04-24-2009, 03:43 AM
hay Dude
1- make sure you installed the VC++ from VS2008/2005.

2- in order for the Maya Plugin Wizard to work i made some changes on it.

edit the file named MayaPluginWizard.vsz

and replace wuts in side it with :

VSWIZARD 7.0
Wizard=VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.9.0

Param="WIZARD_NAME = MayaPluginWizard"
Param="FALLBACK_LCID = 1033"
Param="MANAGED = FALSE"

AtrusDni
04-24-2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the reply, Max-Saed-Hulk. I will try what you recommended.

In the instructions it says to put the files into specific folders in the Visual Studio folder, but those folders dont exist on my machine, so I had to make them by hand. Did you have to do this as well? Or did those folders exist for you?

AtrusDni
04-24-2009, 04:45 AM
I tried the above code, and it still doesn't show up . . . :cry:

saedAbdelhafez
04-24-2009, 06:06 AM
those folders already exist... i think the problem is in your VS installation cause u must have those folders ...

look if u go file->new Project .. and u chose from project type Visual C++ , can u see on your right the visual studio installed templates icons ?

AtrusDni
04-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Hmmm weird. Ok heres what shows up under the C++ Project Templates window:

Visual Studio installed templates:
Windows Forms Application
Win32 Console Application
MFC Application
ASP.NET Web Service
Class Library
Empty Project
MFC DLL
MFC Smart Device Application
Win32 Project
Windows Forms Control Library
customwiz
CLR Console Application
ATL Project
Makefile Project
ATL Smart Device Project
CLR Empty Project
MFC ActiveX Control
MFC Smart Device ActiveX Control
MFC Smart Device DLL
Win32 Smart Device Project
Windows Service

My Templates:
Search Online Templates ...

Thats werid that I didn't have the folders already. What options should I install when installing Visual Studio? I might have to reinstall it I think.

Keilun
04-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Although you may want to still figure out what's going on with your VS install, this info may be pertinent to you. These are the settings that a Maya plug-in requires that the wizard will setup for you:

§Configuration Properties
§C/C++
§General
§Additional Include Directories:
§$(SolutionDir);C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2009\include
§Preprocessor
§Preprocessor Definitions:
§NT_PLUGIN;REQUIRE_IOSTREAM
§Linker
§General
§Output File:
§Debug\yourPluginName.mll
§Additional Library Directories:
§C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2009\lib
§Input
§Additional Library Dependencies:
§Foundation.lib OpenMaya.lib
§Command Line
§Additional Options
§/export:initializePlugin /export:uninitializePlugin

It will also setup a cpp file with the appropriate initialization routines, but you can have a look at the devkit examples to figure out what's necessary there. Speaking of which, copying an existing devkit's vcproj and replacing the names as necessary is probably the easiest way of being sure that you have everything.

saedAbdelhafez
04-25-2009, 12:18 AM
u have the templates and VCWizards already .. but u cant find the folder that contain them

... hmmm

o.k search for the MFCAppWiz file its suppose to be in the vcprojects folder that the VS

already installed

MFCAppWiz is listed in your templates it should be in the vcprojects and its the same folder

that u r going to all the MayaPluginWizard inside.

AtrusDni
04-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Sa'ed!!! You're a genius! For some reason i have a Visual Studio 8 folder on BOTH my C and D drive, but only the one on the D drive contains more data . . . odd. Anyways it shows up in Visual Studio now, so thank you much for your help! ::cheers::

AtrusDni
08-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey thanks for the help so far guys, although I have run into a problem. Im trying to compile the basic "hello world' plugin that comes with the devkit, and im running into errors. When I try to build the project, it says:

Cannot open include file: 'maya/MTemplateCommand.h': No such file or directory

I have looked everywhere for MTemplateCommand.h and cannot find it. Im a little lost . . . any help?

AtrusDni
08-26-2009, 10:40 PM
YES!!! Got it. Had to change a bunch of settings here and there but I finally got it working! Yay for API programming! :scream: I find that after posting a question in the forums, I can usually figure it out afterwards. But only if I post in the first place, haha.

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2009, 10:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.