PDA

View Full Version : using ~ in an object name

jschieck
04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I need be able to use ~ in an object name but Maya won't allow it. I'm looking for the script for the "rename" procedure so I can change it to allow for this character but can't seem to find it. If anyone knows where it's located or knows of a workaround please let me know. Thanks!

DOor
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
someone else may correct me if I am wrong but I believe node names may only use ASCII characters so you cant use "~" . The rename command is not contained within a script file, this is coded in maya and can not be changed.

Keilun
04-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Yep, ~ characters are illegal for Maya names.

Perhaps as a way of working around the issue, you could put in a temporary token that is legal like perhaps 3 underscores: "___" and then at time of export or import you can replace that back with your tilde (~). Not sure if that will work for your workflow, but if you could let us know a bit more about why you need the ~ character in the name, that would probably help.

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2009, 03:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.