PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Rig tutorial for 3D Animated series

ajju4i
04-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Can anyone put any good links of dvds or tutorial regarding how to make lighting rigs for animated 3d sequence episodes...

mister3d
04-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Interesting for me too. I didn't meet much info on the subject in 3d tutorials. Though Jeremy Birn's book has some good points about lighting animated characters, check it out.
But think about the subject: you have several most common lighting situations like outdoor, indoor and close-ups. Usually you break-down the lighting into lighting background, middleground and (if present) foreground. If you plan lighting characters, then it implies creating a certain mood with available lights. You can start lighting characters with the most logical light sources, and if not enough, add more lights, but they must be motivated.
Light rigs... I don't think they differ that much for animation. But would like to hear more opinions from professionals too.

In animation you have shots with static (or relatively static) and dynamic objects. Lighting static objects is simplier of course, as you can finesse the lighting more. And lighting moving objects is more difficult: you can light key positions that's to say, i.e. you care much only where the character starts and stops. I think It's impossible to control the lighting thoughout the entire animation completely.

ajju4i
04-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Iam still experimenting on this. Its jus tht all these years i worked on individual shots in VFX. But now I am planning to go into 3D Animation tv series. So its a big question, how they go about the lighting of shots in series maintaining the same mood by different people working on it. There has to be a common rig. Iam trying to make a rig with spots dome. The problem is depth map shadows are difficult to manage, and raytrace are giving me good results, but taking time. I jus wanted to know if there is a proper set of rules to follow in animated episode series.

ajju4i
04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
i also feel max's shadow maps r more easier to handle

mister3d
04-24-2009, 05:57 AM
I can only guess, but logically thinking, the lights must be named (like key, fill, rim+names), the light rigs must be linked to helper objects to manipulate easily, and the light setup must be as simple as possible (or at least not too crazy complex) that the other person working on it wouldn't have a headache with your setup. If another person will work on creating other light rigs for the same scene, he must take into consideration already created ones. Maybe the color palette for lights could be created before lighting the scene that everyone working on it could use it to keep consistency.

ajju4i
04-24-2009, 11:27 AM
ya..all these parameters i have seen in a rig....But i jus wanted a through tutorial on it. So i will be spared the time of experimenting, as i may join a 3d animation company soon...

If anyone comes across a tutorial, please post the link

almightie
05-20-2009, 12:17 PM
If you are still on this thread then I really must try doing that thing with few tools.....let me know if you are still looking for solution....

RagingBull
05-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Definitely a subject that transpires to any good 3d program, so what works on one, will work on another.
If you use 3dsMax for example, don't be scared by looking at Maya/XSI/Houdini tutorials, as they are more likely to not be using FG/GI anyway for this kind of work.
Gnomon have loads of great tutorial DVD's, and look at the compositing ones as well because they will help you with typical passes required for animated work. Jeremy Vickery has made some excellent tutorials.

http://www.redi-vivus.com
Host's a fantastic set that Bernard Label created 'Production Solutions and Tips'.
They are all for free now, and really are still excellent (I originally bought them).
Vol 3 is pretty much how we lit an animated feature film, although some other techniques were implemented when required.

Obviously, goes without saying Jeremy Birn http://www.3drender.com :thumbsup:

There's a huge amount of info out there but it can definitely be tricky figuring out where to get advice from. Just make sure you understand how the concepts work, how to fake things, and how to keep those pesky render times down !

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2009, 12:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.