PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Microphone Character

allaboutkeys
07-14-2003, 02:58 PM
This is my first character that I am working on without following a tutorial (but I have to thank Steve Warner for helping me on the wire mesh). I have been using LW for only a few weeks so please keep the laughter to a minimum. ;)

Here are three test renders with different morph targets. I know there are still some problematic areas. Before I continue working on this character I'd like to read some crits and comments!

http://www.allaboutkeys.com/lightwave/mic_character_01.jpg

Steve Warner
07-17-2003, 03:09 AM
Allaboutkeys: Hey! Sorry I missed this! Our server at work was down on Monday and I didn't see this when I checked that evening.

I'm just repeating myself here, but for two weeks with LightWave, you're doing unspeakably well. :beer:

Here are a few crits/comments on the work:

The dark blue iris of the eyes is unnatural and distracts from the rest of the face. Try changing them to black. The eyes also need to appear moist and alive. To do this, add another sphere around the eye which is just slightly larger than the actual eyeball. Make it transparent, but crank up the specularity and adjust the glossiness accordingly.

You seem to have enough polys in place to sculpt the face. And I don't see any major pinching, so you've probably got a decent flow. From here, you just need to work through the refining process. Basically, it entails a lot of point manipulation.

Add another edge loop around the eyelids and sculpt that area so the eyelids run flush agains the eyeballs. Continue tweaking with the eyebrows, as they still look a little sharp and boxy. The nose looks like you might have too many polys in that area. But continue to refine it as well by rounding everything out. The same goes for the mouth and chin.

The only other thing I'd do is add a little more definition to the sides of the face (the area holding the mesh ball) so that it tightens up a bit. As it stands, it's a little on the soft side, which is inhibiting it from reading as metal.

Keep up the great work! You seem to have a great handle on the software!

Steve

W Wade
07-17-2003, 03:59 AM
Nice to see the work progressing keep it going.

allaboutkeys
07-17-2003, 09:45 AM
Steve: Your comments are very valuable and helpful for me!

Yeah, the eyeballs are a quick and dirty solution just to give the little guy - eyeballs. Also the shape of the eye hole doesn't follow the eyeball very well. I will have to fix this, too.

I am struggling with the eyebrow area because I want to have enough geometry for some morph targets with raised eyebrows and wrinkles on the forehead.

I am afraid I won't be able to upload an update very soon because I have to accomplish another job that pays my bills. But I will definitely bring this character project to an end! After finishing the head I will model the arms and legs (thank god, the body consists of a cone with an ON/OFF switch :buttrock: ). After that I will have to learn how to handle bones and weightmaps... ah... still a long way to go. But it's fun!

allaboutkeys
07-17-2003, 10:06 AM
This is no update. But I thought the wireframe could help you to detect problematic areas.

http://www.allaboutkeys.com/lightwave/mic_character_wireframe_01.jpg

faulknermano
07-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by allaboutkeys
Also the shape of the eye hole doesn't follow the eyeball very well. I will have to fix this, too.

tip: model the eyeball first and place it on location. and THEN model the eyelids. the lids follow the eyes, after all, not the other way around.

jugalo180
09-10-2003, 09:22 PM
can i get a quick tute on how you created the mesh for the mic excluding the face. i am trying to model a plain mic

allaboutkeys
09-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by jugalo180
can i get a quick tute on how you created the mesh for the mic excluding the face. i am trying to model a plain mic

Have a look at this thread. There's an animated gif by Steve Warner that explains it all:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74301&perpage=15&highlight=microphone&pagenumber=3

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.