PDA

View Full Version : 1st Lighting Showreel

pankajkaintura43
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Friends. Well I have just completed my first lighting showreel made up in maya. so plz c&c's needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNsme3CFkUY

MAV4d
04-25-2009, 05:08 AM
Hey man,

Good work!

the big thing is that you dont have any motion. Most studios work with animation, and lighting becomes much harder when things start moving around. I would suggest animating the camera and some of the objects in the scene. It also makes the work much more interesting to watch. Still images loose the viewer very easily.

I would suggest loosing all of the Grey scale lighting images... lighting is all about color and feel... the Grey images force people to loose interest.

Dont write what programs you have used or things you have done in the reel. Have a shot list available so that if someone is interested to see what you have done they can look at that.

Also try to vary the type of lighting. you have a direct sunlighting... show some flexability, and try to show emotion through the lighting.

Finally, Depth of field seems to be missing from all of the shots except for the opening.

hope this helps

-mav

pankajkaintura43
04-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Well Thanks MAV4D for all ur valuable suggestions. I will surely work on all the points u have mentioned & very soon u will see a new improved showreel. Thanks a lot

mister3d
04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Your first pic must be with textures, not without(and for what?) Are you sure you have no gamma problems and your gamma output is correct? Some pieces look too dark and saturated in places.
You left asphalt untextured in a scene, it's not a good idea, looks unfinished. I think you should cut it into 30 seconds. There are only images, so I'm also not sure why you made it as an animation.
Good try though, you got some experience making a reel. Many pieces have good lighting. Night scenes lack acccents into dark areas, like rims, reflections etc...

pankajkaintura43
04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
well thanks mister3d for ur valuble comments........well actually I included the grey mesh lighting into my showreel as to show my lighting skills without textures as well.....& as u said that I left asphalt untextured, I did it intentionly as I thought that its lloking good but u did'nt like it & calls it looking uncomplete so I will texture it.....well my showreel also got only still images its b'coz I saw many showreeels with still images so I thought it would be better for me to show still images but as u mentioned the lighting showreel shld have animation so I will put some animation as well......lastly can you or anyone can tell me what are the things we should keep in mind before creating a night scene.....so it will be a great help for me................well thanks mister3d & MAV4d for ur c&c's. ur suugestions have made me better to understand abt lighting......................thanks

mister3d
04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Showing grey shaded scenes lit makes no sense in my opinion. because shaders, textures change the lighting approach dramatically. And finally only with textures and shader the scene is considered lit. Lighting gray color scene is just a way different lighting. That's why i hold it's not very useful to put onto potfolio.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.