PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone. Cel shader question...

Sycada
07-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Hello to all I'm the new guy.

I'm a 3d artist/animator who of course uses Lightwave :)
I hope I can share my work with you guys and gain insight from your own in the future.

For now though I have a question... I'm working on a project that is heavy on the cel shading and was wondering whether you guys could assist me with some outline problems I'm having. I can't get line work that isn't around the edge of the character or a surface, to appear. This is chiefly a problem around the nose edge and on the mouth. I'm using the Unreal Cel Shader at the moment but since it's Japanese I can't read the documentation :(

I'd appreciate any assistance but I'd also like to hear any suggestions for a better cel shader if you have them.

Thanks everyone
:)

Celshader
07-14-2003, 10:35 AM
For what it's worth, I use LightWave Edges for most of my "inking." I have the technical rules of LightWave Edges listed here for modelers:
http://www.celshader.com/gallery/kara/about4.htm

If unReal's ink lines behave anything like Silhouette Edges, perhaps the geometry of the nose does not turn away from the camera enough to qualify for an ink line.

---

You might supplement unReal's ink lines by painting fixed ink lines directly on the model. You can create "ink lines" with texture maps and geometry flat-shaded with the same color as the ink line.

For example, on this character (http://www.celshader.com/gallery/lore/) I used color texture maps to make the eyebrows. I also built fixed "ink lines" on the character with geometry -- the jaw line, the innermost part of the ear, the inside of the nose, and the ink line that defines the bottom of the lower lip.

Sycada
07-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Ah! Edges! For whatever reason that never occurred to me. Thank you very much for your help. I'll go and try a few things now.

Oh and btw, very nice character model you referred me to :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.