PDA

View Full Version : Question from an aspiring texture artist...

ManeatingPanda
04-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi :), thanks for reading my post. I'm currently enrolled at Full Sail University in their Computer Animation BS program, and am pretty far in. I'm almost 100% certain that I want to pursue a path specializing in texturing or shading, and I feel I'm not really getting up to speed in my area of interest because our courses seemed to be more focused on the modeling, rigging, and other more technical parts of cg, (I feel like my art is getting kind of left on the back burner)... I don't feel this is Full Sail's fault at all because my instructors and classes are really great, however I'm wondering if I should perhaps go into a more art related major, such as a Digital Art and Design BS, or if there is a perhaps a program better suited for someone like me who wants to really focus on texturing? By the way, I'm open to suggestions to any programs across the US/Canada. Thanks for the time :)!

jara
04-22-2009, 05:51 AM
I'm not sure of any college degrees specializing in texturing, but I would think studying traditional art might help.

ManeatingPanda
04-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion :)!
I've been looking into Gnomon today and I'm really impressed. They seem to have some really great programs. Is the school pretty well regarded in the industry?
I've also been considering SCAD or Ringling, I was wondering what the opinion was on these schools from a cg view point, as I know they have real solid art programs.

A-there
04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Natalie,

Truthfully speaking, technical for-profit only schools like Full Sail mainly teaches you how
to navigate the softwares and doesn't teach you the artistic side in depth.
You pretty much have to find alternatives on your own.
In addition, most of the inspirational artists who are really good with texturing
are all guys and it is really rare to see artists in general especially the texturing field
that are females. Not really sure why, but really good inspirational female artists are hard to find in the industry. Ask yourself this, just how many came out of Full Sail compare to Ringling and SCAD?
Maybe it is just a company preference.
You might want to find another field in this recession or transfer to Ringling or SCAD.

leigh
04-22-2009, 06:26 PM
In addition, most of the inspirational artists who are really good with texturing
are all guys

What the hell has this got to do with anything? And how long have you been working in this industry that you can make such a statement? I've actually worked with a lot of female texture painters over the years, in addition to myself, being a female texture painter. In fact, in my own experience, the texture department is often the 3D department with the most women in it. Not that gender really even matters anyway, but frankly I find the fact that you feel it necessary to state that "most of the inspirational artists who are good at texturing are male" offensive and myopic. Also, the fact that the industry is male dominated renders that statement meaningless anyway.

Natalie, if you want to be a texture painter, then get some tuition in Photoshop, colour theory, and possibly also traditional painting (because that teaches you to mix and work with colour very well). I learned 3D texturing on my own, and the lack of formal education in it has never been an issue.

Breyker4711
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
How are you in the program? I too am at Full Sail, and I have found some great texture artists (who are instructors)... but I had to go pick their brain to get any more in depth knowledge, still I would love a course just in color theory to keep running with it.

Imhotep397
04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
...most of the inspirational artists who are really good with texturing
are all guys and it is really rare to see artists in general especially the texturing field
that are females...

That's pretty f'd up...for real. Trying to discourage somebody based on their sex? In 2009? What the Hell?????? Sexist much dude?

Natalie:
Based on the fact that you want to do texturing Ringling or SCAD would probably be a better fit and relatively close to where you are. You just want to go through the whole transfer application process and see what things are looking like. Other than those I would probably recommend AAU SF/SD.

JamesMcPhail
04-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Natalie,
that are females.

Strange then that most of the texture artists at work are women... Not sure what gender has to do with pushing pixels anyway :curious:

ShadowM8
04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Strange then that most of the texture artists at work are women... Not sure what gender has to do with pushing pixels anyway :curious:
Yep, that's been my experience as well on almost all the teams I worked on.

ManeatingPanda
04-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks for all the replies and encouragements :)! I'm going to apply to both SCAD and Ringling for the fall and see where things go from there.

Erdauq
05-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Kinda offtopic but... To the threadstarter, or anyone really, for someone who wants to be a Game Artist, would Full Sail be a good school to pick (or if anyone knows any other good schools)? A representative came to my Commercial Art class and talked to us about it, but havent been on their website in a while to check the classes/degrees.

mecos
05-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Yep, that's been my experience as well on almost all the teams I worked on.

the only texture artist i've dealt with directly in person was also female. i believe she did a workshop on texture painting right on this site.

edit: she did :P http://workshops.cgsociety.org/instructors/robin_cooper/

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2009, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.