PDA

View Full Version : Simeon Rex

DavidKwok
05-07-2002, 06:14 PM
A group of Singapore CG artists have been working together on a pilot episode of a 3D Animated TV series for months. Due to limited resources, time and budget, we have cut back a lot on the polygons and quality. The whole production was done in MAX.

We are consistently trying to improve ourself. Feel free to give us your constructive comments.

You can find the renderings in
SNEAK PEEKS

http://www.simeonrex.com/

Thks for your comments to help us improve ourselves.

wolfenstein825
05-07-2002, 06:56 PM
it look like my monkey king dude.......<<http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6759ccc>>:bounce: :bounce: same reference~~~~~~~~~from that story:bounce: :bounce:

DavidKwok
05-09-2002, 03:33 PM
Thks for the reply. We were working on this project based
on what the client wants. The entire story is different from
the original story - Journey to the west.
Hmm. The story concept is somewhere in between
maybe Saiyuki and 5th element.

Were you working on your monkey for any special projects.
Its cool. Have you animate it? Reminds me of Planet of the Apes.

Anyway, we were doing this for a US client initially. Its for TV.

Toeng.com
05-09-2002, 03:59 PM
I think this is a good project, too bad the quality isn't as good as it should be :(
I didn't download any of the trailers, but I see from the freebies posters that the quality of the picture is a bit shallow, more texturing and better lighting could be added :) but hey, I know how it feels to be in your shoes so, I think that is a drawback I am willing to tolerate.

The storyline is a bit bland, there have been so many similar storyline in many movies, like Titan A.E or Fifth Element. Is it gonna be aired in US TV shows??? if yes, then I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

Also, if you want to get more exposure for your website, may I advice you to add some of your Simeon posters to Toeng.com (http://www.toeng.com) :)

Jhonus
05-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Personally I find the biggest problem with CG series is the facial expressions (or lack of). I find it really distracting when the emotion of the voice isn't matched in intensity by the facial expression.

If you are going to do humanoid characters then they must at least have the expression range of one.

Just looking at the image of Simon Rex punching - it doesn't look too convincing. But probably on par with other CG series. :thumbsup:

DavidKwok
05-10-2002, 07:09 PM
Thks for all the advice and understanding.

At one time , we get new investors every now and then coming in and out changing storyline and the characters. One minute for 12 yrs old and above, another will say 12 and below.

So the final say still depends on the investor.

All your points are valid. What we have done is only a pilot. So we will try to improve it.

However, we can't push too far due to budget and time. We have a benchmark. We will make sure that the quality is not lower than most 3d TV animated series. But it mustn't be as high as film as well. We need to be consistent in the quality. So far, we are taking Star Ship Troopers, Shadow Raiders/ War Planet and Xcalibur for reference. Else it will burnt the time and budget.
A lot of time was spent in animation. Only 3 mins (out of 28 mins) were mocaped. The rest were hand animated.

By the way, for the lead characters, there were about 49 morph targets.

Thks once again guys. Keep the remarks coming in.

tantor
05-10-2002, 07:36 PM
Hi,
i didnt download any thing that moved....
am i assuming too much ? Your guys seem to be action figures, I assume their bodies would be doing the "emoting"...
I feel the facial masks r fine/cool/look interesting.
I know what u mean by investors......
I did think the backgrounds/sets looked somewhat flat, maybe it just needs some less homogenous lighting ? know what i mean ?

:thumbsup:

t

DavidKwok
05-11-2002, 09:44 AM
tantor, you are right. Some of the background are just matte painting. Not Polygons due to lack of rendering power in the initial stage. They are really flat. Due to lack of resources at the at that time, we have to sacrifice several things. The focus was on the acting and character animation.

At one stage, we were only working on P3 256 ram, tnt graphic card. A scene with more than 4 charaters is a definite no no. So its a miracle what we have achieved. I am glad things are better now.

:p

I do admit we need better lightings. Especially to create mood. We need stronger art direction.

Thk you guys. The points are very useful. Keep them coming in.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.