PDA

View Full Version : Challenge WIP: sigma

sigma
01-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Please keep in mind this is a work in progress, even when it comes to the sketch. I still havent decided what to place in his right hand, maybe a sword, maybe a gun, I just dont know yet. Ive already begun the 3D model but (look out im a newbie) I cant figure out how to take a pict of my destop! I have no problem on my Mac but when it comes to my PC Im lost. Is there a key combo to do this? ctrl + alt somethin? The print screen key does nothin for me, and if it did i wouldnt know where to look for the screenshot.

Heres what ive come up with so far.

http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/pirate_test.gif

http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/hook_test.gif

The hook is combined with a flame thrower nozzle in the center..hehe

:p

Pentagramma
01-14-2002, 11:45 AM
Looks cool so far! :cool:

I really like the flame thrower - canīt wait to see it modelled!

rondo
01-14-2002, 12:00 PM
You can screen print on a PC by hitting the Print Screen key, then go to your image editing program, make a new image the size of your desktop (Photoshop will do it automatically), and CTRL+V (paste).

sigma
01-14-2002, 12:25 PM
Yay! thx rondo, it worked.

I'll post a shot of the model in a few days.
Needs to be worked on a little more.

rondo
01-14-2002, 12:30 PM
No problem! It's the least I can to to contibute to such a cool challenge. I am waaaay too much of a newbie to contibute any artwork. But I sure am enjoying the awesome displays by everyone else! Character design is sooooo cool!!!!!

sigma
01-14-2002, 12:47 PM
I totally agree rondo. This challenge is proving to be quite educational for me personally. This will be my second character design, the first outside of college. Its a great way for me to improve my modeling skills and its helped me break out of a so called artist block. I havent drawn anything in months. This time im taking a different approach to the modeling. Its my first attempt at patch-modeling.

Error323
01-14-2002, 01:04 PM
Real COOL!!!! Hope he doesn't melt his hook while flamethrowing ^_^

sigma
01-14-2002, 01:15 PM
lol, The heat from the flame will allow the hook to cut throw things with ease.
Whats worse than a razor sharp hook?....a real hot one!:D

http://66.70.72.50/forums/images/smilies/pirate.gif

thx for the comments

el gatto
01-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Good start Sigma, keep it up :)

epatnor
01-15-2002, 10:34 AM
I totally agree sigma, about the artist block! :confused:

Rondo, I'm feel the same that I wouldn't dare putting anything in here!!! Not yet... I'm trying to collect strength (and time) enough to get me started!

Anyway, I'm going to art course next week! That's gonna be really cool and fun, I can't wait to finally be able to apply my ideas on paper - and then on the computer! Mmmmm sweet.... :p

epatnor
01-15-2002, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry Sigma, I forgot! Your character - very very nice indeed! Please come back with updates as soon as you can, it's a cool guy! :)

But is he happy..? He doesn't seem to be smiling! Maybe he has lost his spoon!?!?

lildragon
01-15-2002, 10:40 AM
nice design, but his face looks human ;) and about the hook, why don't you make it rotate upwards out of the way so the heat doesn't melt it, cause after multiple uses that hook will eventually melt ;)

rondo
01-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Another option could be that the hook hosts the flame, and the nozzle simply sprays the fuel.

I am having sooooo much fun looking at all the different incarnations of "pirates".

Cant wait to see this modeled! Nothing like us newbies rushing you to model something huh?!? :)

Epatnor - I think that observation is part of learning this art. I read that one 3D artist (I can't remember his name) looked around for a year before realling getting into it. 3D is so complicated, it's difficult to know where to start. We'll get there ... some day!

sigma
01-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Thx guys, and yes your right, his face does look human and unfriendly right now. Im really just exploring at the moment. I was thinking of adding something subtle to his face/head area to create a more alien look. Maybe spock ears? :D. As for the hook retracting for the flame thrower, I'll start working on it. The arm will be a sort of multipurpose weapon when its done. :p

thx for the feedback.

pascal_blanche
01-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Ouch!! do you plan to add all these details in your modelling too?

sigma
01-22-2002, 08:06 PM
sorry for deleting the previous post. I should of just edited it.:p
Your right pascal, i went too far with the details. heres one with a little less.
Im still not crazy about the legs & feet area.

http://www.cydonian.com/server/wip/pirate3.jpg

I know hes not friendly or too alien like but the face will have subtle alien like features in the model. For the 'tail' bit i decided to go with a 'pony tail'. Its all just for fun now anyways.
My modeling skills still need improvment, this is only my second attempt at modeling a character and i started way too late. Theres always the next challenge :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.