PDA

View Full Version : Animation: "Ghost Warrior" Trailer

Amadhi
07-13-2003, 10:56 PM
http://www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior/productionstills/GWsq04sc75_pieta.jpg (http://www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior/Trailer/GW_Trailer.mpg)

"Ghost Warrior" Trailer MPEG (http://www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior/Trailer/GW_Trailer.mpg)

"Ghost Warrior" Trailer DivX5 (http://www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior/Trailer/GW_Trailer_DivX5.avi)

"Ghost Warrior" Trailer QT6 (http://www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior/Trailer/GW_Trailer_QT6.mov)

Trailer for the short film, "Ghost Warrior (http://www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior/)." An example of what can be done by one person with Lightwave, the Video Toaster and Digital Fusion.

Look for the NTSC resolution version of this Trailer, playing at NewTek's booth at this year's SIGGRAPH.

Timothy

(Fur by Sasquatch: http://www.worley.com
"Instancing" by HD Instance: http://www.happy-digital.com )

"Instancing" is a way of "outsourcing" the rendering of, (in the case of some Scenes in Ghost Warrior,) hundreds-of-thousands of "copies" of an Object or Hierarchy, including its Animation! (Similar to the "Massive" engine used on LOTR.) Using Instancing, I was able to speed through the creation of the Bamboo shot in a day, whereas my consumer-grade system slowed to a crawl with only 150 "Point-Clone-Plus" copies of the bamboo stalks alone!

Flashfire
07-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Wow... seems such an understated way of describing the emotive strengths of this trailer. If this is what one person can do, I'd be very afraid of seeing what a like minded team of people could do.

Very well done Timothy... kudos indeed. The music was a very nice touch, giving it that extra sense of mysticism and a feel for the old world.

The character work aside, your sets (terrain) are absolutely breath-taking. Is it 100% CG, or are you importing sequences as background plates? Either way, very cool...

Cheers and thanks for sharing that! :)

takkun
07-13-2003, 11:39 PM
Wow!!!! Very cool! How far along are you in production? When it's finished, how do you plan to release it? Film Festivals, DVD? Can't wait the see the full res version at siggraph. Thanks for sharing!

Amadhi
07-14-2003, 12:44 AM
> ... If this is what one person can do, I'd be
> very afraid of seeing what a like minded team
> of people could do.

That's the idea. People _allow_ themselves to do what they know can be done, (or are at least pretty sure can be done). The accepted paradigm is that it takes N number of people with a budget of Y to produce a film of quality X.

With tools like Lightwave, DF and the VT, it becomes the Artists' choice whether or not to buy-into that mode of thinking.

That's why it is not enough to simply show that it _can_ be done, but to create a "Topographical Map" for others to follow to the achievement of their own Goals and Dreams as well. And that's why there's a book, (part of an already existing series from Wordware, really,) that will do just that.

The choice to create, and the desired look should fall solely to the decision of the Artist.

. . .

This is 100% CG, all the elements are created in Lightwave, assembled in Digital Fusion, (which constantly amazes me with how well it lets me be an Artist working with a Palette that extends through four dimensions - can't explain it better than that in short space, DL the demo from Eyeon and see for yourself). NTSC edit done in Realtime using the Video Toaster.

These tools let me create what I see in my mind, as I see it.

The short will be shown at film festivals, and I'm trying to get it slotted to run in an LA county theatre. After that, it'll most likely go to DVD. We'll see what happens. Any news will be posted on the website...

Timothy

Memodin
07-14-2003, 01:50 AM
This is realy awesome. I always interested in like this stuff and character animation of LW. The topic is interesting too. And everything seems wonderful.

One thing; is there a divx version of the trailer? The quality is bad(Also short).

Congs.:applause:

Amadhi
07-14-2003, 02:46 AM
There will be DivX and QT MP4 versions up later this coming week...

http://www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior

will have them linked to the main page!

Timothy

Steve Warner
07-14-2003, 02:47 AM
Great work, Timothy! This looks like it's going to be another winner, and a real fulfillment of NewTek's original vision.

Cheers!

Steve

Triple G
07-14-2003, 04:05 AM
Wow....that's hot, Timothy...really nice job! I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing the finished version of this. :applause:

Chewey
07-14-2003, 04:11 AM
Quite outstanding work! :thumbsup:

You do realize that without big name vocal talent that this has no chance at success?
(joke) :scream:

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2003, 06:19 AM
WOW!
FRONTPAGE!!!!!!

Amadhi
07-14-2003, 07:39 AM
Power to the People! NewTek was founded on the premise of giving the power of the "Big Studios" into the hands of anyone who wanted to do video production. This is just one more step along that Path.

Follow... and help to change the face of filmmaking!

Timothy

Pazur
07-14-2003, 09:19 AM
I really like it! Especially photo-like lighting in landscapes and character animation, of course :) Also, sound gives really good atmoshpere. Congratulations!

Miyazaki
07-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Wow! Looks like a cinematic trailer. Music fits well, the voices also and the slow motion shots are amazing :thumbsup:
Beside that I like the story and the characters. I think it`s hell to make such 'hybrids' believable. But you made it :buttrock:

Edit:
There will be DivX and QT MP4 versions up later this coming week...

Look for the NTSC resolution version of this Trailer, playing at NewTek's booth at this year's SIGGRAPH.

aurora
07-14-2003, 02:58 PM
WOW! That is looking even better then I was hoping for. Can't wait for a higher res version, to say nothing of your upcoming book on its making. Every year I buy myself one christmas present and this is going to be it! I've been getting real tired of all the talk about CG NOT including LW when I know that for years LW has been THE app of choice with all the power needed for top quality work. Here ladies and gentlemen is the proof and by one person not 50+. As for the trailer itself, above and beyond all else I love the lighting and the soft look you gave it. A truely etheral other worldly yet familar world. The Sas work is the best I've seen and coming after your wolf works thats saying alot! I can't say how much I appreciate all the work you do for the community and I pray that the world will once again become wavers through this brilliant vision of yours.:applause:

red_oddity
07-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Just a funny question, but, the backgrounds (those really purty grasslands and morning shots...CG or Photoshopped matte paintings?...)
I'd like to know, because, well...damn, pretty...

red_oddity
07-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Oh, never mind...just watched the trailer...

You sick little monkey...;)

JohnD
07-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Wow, can't wait to see this. Love the style. Anything Mr. Albee does I'll check out. His character animation/rigging book was a lifesaver.

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2003, 04:19 PM
NewTek would be quite smart to show this trailer at their booth in SIGGRAPH.

-R

Amadhi
07-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Thanks!

Everything in the Teaser-Trailer is LW, rendered to Layers and composited with Digital Fusion. The exact "how-tos" will be explored in the book, but for example, the Grassland scene exists of two layers of Mountains, sketched in Modeler, with each Point being used as either a "growing" point for HD Instance Instances and/or HyperVoxel Sprites. There are then two layers of pre-rendered fog which is depth-composited over the Foreground Element of Sasquatch grass.

Timothy

zaam
07-14-2003, 11:12 PM
Great stuff, Timothy.

BTW, I never got around to thanking you for the outstanding LW Character Animation book you wrote. Very well done. I refer to it often when I'm rigging.
Thanks.

Facial Deluxe
07-14-2003, 11:38 PM
Damn impressive, love the attitude of the characters, very noble.
Feel free to explain the process of this, even shortly...
Would love some wires too....

ChrisBasken
07-14-2003, 11:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many ArcticWolfsong-hours does this represent?

Nice facial expressions and movement/weight. The backgrounds are impressive, too, but I comprehend how to do them so it's not "magic" to me. Believable character work, however, seems always beyond my grasp.

Triple G
07-14-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by zaam
Great stuff, Timothy.

BTW, I never got around to thanking you for the outstanding LW Character Animation book you wrote. Very well done. I refer to it often when I'm rigging.
Thanks.

Same here. Thanks again, Timothy. I learned a lot from your book. Kudos to you, and I wish you great success with this endeavor. :thumbsup:

Facial Deluxe
07-14-2003, 11:46 PM
... 6 months :argh:

What's your rythm ? Wake up at 4 am ?

Amadhi
07-15-2003, 01:29 AM
I can't work "crazy hours..." I just don't have the stamina for it, never did, not even in school. And in a weird way, I've always thought of "laziness" as a virtue, when it means you're trying to find ways of getting done what you need to get done faster, and in such a way that it passes the first time through.

(This is why I've never liked the particular Studio Mentality of, "Great! You got that work done in half the time... here's more work!" I ran Mythos and Exile Films from the POV of, "Here's your work we feel you can do in a week, get it approved ahead of schedule, go to the beach - if not, stay 'till it is. Overtime is the result of Management not doing their job, never the workers.)

(However, that being said, I do admit to the 24-hour daylight this close to the Arctic Circle being a big help to the Energy Levels, Hypothalamus, Circadian Rhythms and all. :P )

The Riggings moving the Characters, with only minor changes here and there for my own personal preferences of working, are _exactly the same as in "Lightwave 3D Character Animation."_ (They are true, Feature Quality Riggings... they're what I choose to work on, and that's after seeing most Rigging permutations that have been tried to date.)

Plus... following the "Swap the Character" material in the book, got _all 22 Characters_ Rigged and moving exactly as they should in a single 8-hour day. (Yes, that's a real 8 hours.)

And using a combination of both "LW 3D Character Animation" and "Essential Lightwave" stuff, got all 22 Characters built, surfaced and furred in 2.5 weeks. (Yes, that's a real 2.5 weeks. And yes, four of the Characters are "Variations on a Theme," but that is part of the Power of the 3D Medium!)

It's like... "Conserve your Mouse-Clicks, and your Hours will Conserve themselves." This is a big part of why I Jam so hard on LW! It doesn't waste my time!

It also has so much Open-Endedness to it, if you can make a tool do something for you it wasn't "intended" to do, it won't stop you from doing it!!! (None of this, "Sorry son... I'm afraid I can't let you do that..." stuff!)

So, just FYI, the books are the "straight stuff." They teach you all I know, (or knew - when I was writing them; learning should be a "forever" process)!

Why don't I hold stuff back? Why don't I try to "protect my Trade Secrets?" Because that kind of small-minded mentality goes against everything I believe.

As a manger, you do your best to make the people you bring into the company shine, and that Light just makes you look all that much better.

If we all work hard to make "the other guy look good," then we all look excellent!

Timothy

Facial Deluxe
07-15-2003, 01:55 AM
Amen :bowdown:

sqitso
07-15-2003, 02:08 AM
Real real cool stuff. You are now in my top 3 inspirations. Now my list is Tim Albee, Terrence Walker and Jeff Lew.

I just bought your new book Essential Lightwave on Ebay. The guys says he has it in his possesion. Last I checked it hasn't even been released? Was it released earlier elsware and not here?

Thanks

ChrisBasken
07-15-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by ArcticWolfsong
Why don't I hold stuff back? Why don't I try to "protect my Trade Secrets?" Because that kind of small-minded mentality goes against everything I believe.
Of course, you're selling your book, so the money you get is payment for your trade secrets. :cool:

But don't get me wrong; I totally believe it's the right way to go and it's not so small-minded.

HCompston
07-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Arctic

You said you ran Exile Films. Is that the same Exile Films that was doing the Blood Quest Movie?

H

Nemoid
07-15-2003, 02:45 PM
EXCELLENT work!!!

I always appreciated the fact that with Lw a good user can handle projects like this on his own. this gives him great opportunity to make, while he keeps on learning and learning
complete works and focus in the whole creation process.

even if Lw has some problem, what i like is that is easy to use and to comprehend in its main parts, expecially if someone plans animations. this also make problems less important, because u have the time to solve them.

I appreciate greatly your way of thinking about sharing secrets and working methods. the fact u sell your books means that also you sell you great experience, for not so much indeed.and a book of a whole project like this is WELCOME. also, is more interesting than a normal tutorial book, cause the problems to solve in this kinda project are many and very different.

also i liked another project made in Max, called Lot Of Robots very well made. I was wondering if you will do a DVD version of your animation with video tuts or smth in the future.

E_Moelzer
07-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Cool stuff!
CU
Elmar

Amadhi
07-15-2003, 07:19 PM
Oh, yes... wouldn't it be wonderful for the part of the "Old Ways" to return, where the Visionaries were supported by their tribes, given what they need to do their work and train those who need training?

Interestingly enough, at one time I _did_ give away this information for free. And what I found was that there were many people who said, "I wish I could do this," and when presented with the simple, no-nonsense way of attaining that goal admitted that they didn't really want it.

It takes guts to live up to your Dreams. The "litmus" of Success can be frightening to those who find it easier to live within a perpetual shroud of "some-day..."

So, in a way, the purchase price of the book is almost like a way of stating one's commitment to truly wanting the information contained within. It's a little less than going to Cal Arts or The Sheridan School... a little more than a Dorito... something within the range of those who are serious about wanting to fulfill their Dreams.

As I was told before making the decision to write these Books, "You don't make much money writing computer books."

In, and through these Books, I am simply trying to create the resources for others that I wish had been available for me when I was trying to "master" this incredible Art-form.

Timothy

Amadhi
07-15-2003, 07:22 PM
Better quality versions of the Teaser-Trailer are available...

http://www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior/Trailer/GW_Trailer_DivX5.avi

http://www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior/Trailer/GW_Trailer_QT6.mov

Timothy

ChrisBasken
07-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Oh, yes... wouldn't it be wonderful for the part of the "Old Ways" to return, where the Visionaries were supported by their tribes, given what they need to do their work and train those who need training?
If this was in response to what I wrote, I suspect you read my tone as sarcastic. Not at all. Like all us free-thinking individuals, I'm more than willing to make my own decisions as to whose visions are worth supporting.

Of course, once the worm-can of sarcasm has been opened -- literally or perceptually -- it's hard to shake the tone from any subsequent communication, but I hardly ever indulge in a print medium.

As I was told before making the decision to write these Books, "You don't make much money writing computer books."
You make what the information in the book is worth. If it's a million dollars worth of information, you'll make a million dollars. The problem is, it's the audience, not the author, that decides that value.

Amadhi
07-15-2003, 08:44 PM
In all honesty, I would love nothing more than to be able to continue my work, sharing my findings with those who are interested, and not having to worry about the minutia of "survival needs."

My chosen home is here in Alaska, where in many places, the Old Ways _are_ alive. It is an experience that spans the Spiritual in ways that can only be truly understood through living it.

And as far as the "minutia of survival needs" goes, I survive now primarily on direct trade with others, and live for a year on the income I would have made in three weeks in LA.

It is, and has been, a conscious choice, to do away with all extraneous needs, to focus entirely on the development and furthering of the Art-Forms I practice, and to return the results I find to those who may not have the time for such exploration.

Timothy

Steve Warner
07-15-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by ChrisBasken
You make what the information in the book is worth. If it's a million dollars worth of information, you'll make a million dollars.
But only if there are a million LightWave users, which I doubt there are. If you look at the sales of a book like Inside LightWave, which most consider the LightWave Bible, it only has about a 13,000 sales rank from Amazon.com. If you then consider the fact that the author receives only a small fraction of the total retail cost of the book, you'll realize that anyone writing for such a small market and doing it for the money is in for a rude awakening.

ChrisBasken
07-15-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Steve Warner
But only if there are a million LightWave users, which I doubt there are. If you look at the sales of a book like Inside LightWave, which most consider the LightWave Bible, it only has about a 13,000 sales rank from Amazon.com. If you then consider the fact that the author receives only a small fraction of the total retail cost of the book, you'll realize that anyone writing for such a small market and doing it for the money is in for a rude awakening.
Of course. I was really speaking in abstract terms. I only meant that the value you ("you" being the author, publisher, etc) receive is in direct proportion to the value placed on the book by the audience. This value is hard to predict and doesn't always follow what you (author, publisher, etc) think it might -- look at Harry Potter for an example.

Tim was saying he's putting all his knowledge into the book because holding anything back is a small-minded mentality. To me, that's kind of simplistic. He's demanding a value return for the book (i.e. selling it), and the more knowledge he pumps into the book, the more he can get away with asking for in return. So you put in what you expect to get out. Putting in a little and asking for a little isn't small-minded, it's simple logic. It seems to me he's saying, instead, that he's putting in a lot and (perhaps) asking for a lot, which is also simple logic.

This is a good deal, as far as I'm concerned. Money is only money but knowledge is everything. Where do I get my copy?:beer:

Nemoid
07-16-2003, 11:47 AM
In, and through these Books, I am simply trying to create the resources for others that I wish had been available for me when I was trying to "master" this incredible Art-form.

I agree totally with this philosophy.

as time passes, in 3D things become little more complicated. it seems a paradox, but is like that.
the desires and goals of people learning 3D are ambitious and problems can become of very different kind.

but with a guidance, an user can save great time!!!:buttrock:

for this reason I find important a book or techniques informations over complete projects, from start to end in the 3D app you use, then postproduction and editing.

for example, in CeeGee.net u find some info about Spitoni's the Hunt, and how he planned and assembled his scenes, with a lot of post pro. and i found them greatly interesting, but not completefor lack of time i think.

that's way some good book is needed for this kinda things

from my POV ,about books i think what is needed is a "complete" and exaustive book. i hate the philosophy wich tells: lets give smth quite incomplete, in some parts, so that a new book will be produced with more information.

a good book IMO must have a great and inspiring introductive part about what 3D is for real, starting from the basis no matter wich app is the book about, and presenting the project and the goals the creator had with the project itself.

Then, the process of creating the scenes must be analyzed, from sketch, to storyboards, and also what the creator used to plan his work. then, arrive the active part of the software, with modelling, texturing and so on, also presenting problems encountered in the making and tricks to solve them.

the user must be able to redo te parts of the project analyzed from wht learned in the book,and through learning it,in the case he wants to make smth of his own, he must be able to understand what exactly the creator would do to get this job done.

so, if as I think you'll put in your book these information making it useful and not autocelebrative, then a lot of users will buy it, spending their time and money in what they think can be a strong resource for their future job..:thumbsup:

Amadhi
07-18-2003, 02:57 AM
I've found that if you can make a concept understandable to a seven-year-old, you don't truly understand the concept yourself.

In whatever I've taught, from the "Arcane" to the "vernacular," I've always used "average folks" as litmus tests for the teachings. If their reaction is, "Well heck, putting it that way, even I could do that,” then I know I’ve done my job.

And though I realize that I am “only human,” I am doing everything within my power to make “CGI Short Filmmaking” something that could be used to found a Full-Length Feature Film. Pulling all my experience from growing up with Theatre, working on many Video Game titles, Television shows, Commercials, animating at Disney Feature Animation, and founding two animation studios in the LA area.

Taking all that life-experience, an still trying to find out how to make things more streamlined, ‘easier,’ or at least more enjoyable... because, as my grand-dad used to say, “There’s nothing so good that it can’t be improved upon.”

Timothy

HCompston
07-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Arctic

You said you ran Exile Films. Is that the same Exile Films that was doing the Blood Quest Movie?

H

Amadhi
07-18-2003, 09:26 AM
No, that was another group who licensed the name before we could secure it.

We were DBA "Exile Films" within LA County; a few folks who were "exiles" from the "Magic Kingdom..." and waited just a bit too long before incorporating. (A lesson to others out there who have ideas for company names they like, Incorporate!)

Timothy

Nemoid
07-18-2003, 10:24 AM
I've found that if you can make a concept understandable to a seven-year-old, you don't truly understand the concept yourself.

Taking all that life-experience, an still trying to find out how to make things more streamlined, ‘easier,’ or at least more enjoyable... because, as my grand-dad used to say, “There’s nothing so good that it can’t be improved upon.”

Wise words :thumbsup:

HCompston
07-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Thanks Tim

I thought there was two. That explains it.

H

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.