PDA

View Full Version : Have Comcast Internet? LW screwed up recently?

nessjp
07-13-2003, 10:51 PM
My LW has been acting real freaky lately and it seems that others have been getting similar out of the blue funkiness as well.

I am wondering if any of you that has found some weird things lately have Comcast internet which was formerly ATT?

If so, it seems as if I may have found something.
I never put 2 and 2 together, but I just disabled a new feature from Comcast and now everything seems to be ok.

A few weeks back ATT broadband switched over to comcast and in doing so, put some new maintenance software on my computer. This new software leaves an icon in the sys tray and when I close it, LW is fine.

Could this be the culprit with all the issues that everybody else is having lately?

uncommongrafx
07-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Dig a bit deeper to see what that thing is.
I'm on Comcast but, 1) I'll be damned if I just let something of theirs just run on my machine ALL the time and 2) I have an older computer as the hub so my lw machine isn't connected.

Yeah, sounds like that nugget may have made you part of THEIR network, completely, such that LW can't do its hub thing. That is to say, do you run the hub? You must as that's the only way you would have encountered this. [Broad assumptions, I know. Now tell me I'm wrong. ;) ]

Do tell us more...

nessjp
07-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Yes indeed.
It seems as if the new comcast support agent is what was screwing with my LW. I run with the hub and Zone Alarm pro.
With Zone Alarm you need to allow full internet access to run LW and the Hub. This has been no big deal, but this new support agent is somehow interfering.

I do not know all of the stuff about TCP/IP and all this firewall stuff, but by allowing some access and disabling some features within ZA for the comcast support you can essentially fix this problem. I did this and it works, but I ultimately just ended up deleting this comcast support feature from my machine.

This support feature is something that gets automatically installed eith the transition wizard to go from ATT to Comcast. It had a few nice features, like rewinding your computer back to a certain time, before you had any problems. It had a few gimmicky things like cache cleaner and history cleaner, but mostly it was to allow Comcast to access your system during support issues which is kind of scary.

Of course there is no uninstall feature with this so you have to do it from the control panel remove programs, comcast support.
If a person wants to keep this feature, you can simply close it from the sys tray before you start lightwave. I could not find any settings to prevent it from loading in the systray as you can set with most programs.

This program was not installed in the new Comcast folder that was placed on my computer, but rather in a folder called support.com which is a company that created this software for comcast.

Hopefully this helps people who have been having strange issues recently. So far it is working for me.:thumbsup:

vangaans
07-14-2003, 01:11 AM
Don't have Commcast, don't even know what that is?
I do run the Hub, rolled mine back to 7.5 last night, will see how that travels.

anobrin
07-14-2003, 01:58 AM
IM on Comcast internet with a MAC with OSX
running Lightwave7.5
Layout modelor and HUB all running fine:scream:

But MAC OSX has a built in firewall that even comcast
cant ping or port scan my machine through :buttrock:

CourtJester
07-14-2003, 09:40 PM
As far as I know, all the cable providers have this software that they make it seem like you have to install it... but you don't. For Cox Communications, ATTBI/Comcast, and Roadrunner, I've simply set the modem up without using any of their software, and then call in to their support base to complete the job. So far, each service tech I've dealt with states flatly that you don't need their software to connect, once they saw that I was tech savvy. (I did hook up with them before the Comcast acquisition, though, so things may have changed.) NO software from the cable co has ever been installed on my system.

I use Zonealarm also, but I don't run the Hub (because it's just one more excuse to crash). I'm behind a hardware firewall too.

anobrin
07-15-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by CourtJester
As far as I know, all the cable providers have this software that they make it seem like you have to install it... but you don't. For Cox Communications, ATTBI/Comcast, and Roadrunner, I've simply set the modem up without using any of their software, and then call in to their support base to complete the job. So far, each service tech I've dealt with states flatly that you don't need their software to connect, once they saw that I was tech savvy. (I did hook up with them before the Comcast acquisition, though, so things may have changed.) NO software from the cable co has ever been installed on my system.

I use Zonealarm also, but I don't run the Hub (because it's just one more excuse to crash). I'm behind a hardware firewall too.

You are exactly right:beer:
They use DHCP servers that assign a dynmic IP
to any of thier authorized router/modems when you connect
you may have to change your machines TCPIP setting
to connect via DHCP but you DONT need any of their software
and can use any browser: IE, netscape "safari" "opera" whatever.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.