PDA

View Full Version : Mirror topology without cutting mesh

brendo2026
04-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi,

anyone know of a good way in Maya 8.5 to mirror a poly mesh (characters face) to the other side (negative value/positive value) without cutting and mirroring, just copying vertex positions to neighboring vertex points on the positive/negative side of the center axis in world space.

if you have any plug-ins that you know work first hand or other techniques I'd love to know, would save allot of time.

Cheers

wob
04-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Mesh>Mirror Geometry ....and you have a ton of option , just try and having fun with that :D

brendo2026
04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, unfortunatley mirror mesh cuts the mesh any which way, in the process renumbering the vertex points and unuseable in a blendshape situation.

MirrorVertex at highend3d in the Maya plugins section is the closest thing to what I want but so far at a glance I have had no success with getting the plugin to work, will keep looking.

Cheers

brendo2026
04-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi,
in the time burnt looking for a quick fix, I'm going to roll up my sleeves, inverse the mesh and move the mesh point for point to match.

However I am still waiting for a silver bullet for something I thought would be very straight forward, If anybody out there knows of a better technique than the one I'm about to embark on please drop a line here or at least let me know of a forum that could be of more use than this one for this particular subject matter.

Cheers
the vertex pusher

P.S. does anyone know if the advance sculpting programs like mudbox or the latest Zbrush cure this problem for inversed copied blendshapes that are compatible as not to renumber the points on a mesh

ArcticWolf
04-21-2009, 11:47 PM
What about duplicating your orginal mesh, create a copy of the blend shape, invert and then wrap deform the your original mesh to take on the shape. Wrap deformers helped us quite a bit on a Maya to Lightwave project where we also had to preserve point order.

brendo2026
04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
What about duplicating your orginal mesh, create a copy of the blend shape, invert and then wrap deform the your original mesh to take on the shape. Wrap deformers helped us quite a bit on a Maya to Lightwave project where we also had to preserve point order.

Initially I tried this and thought there would be some issues with the blend shape wrap deformer but paying close attention to my stack I pulled it off with no hassles!!!

Very useful trick and something they should put in there documentation,:scream:

Thanks! you just saved me a huge amount of time, pure stroke of genius! :applause:

Cheers I owe you a couple of beers and a few hours of my life! ;)

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.