PDA

View Full Version : How do you do a robot?

KHALID
07-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi,
Is it possible to make MB to use an OBJ that is a full Robot, nothing is soft skin all metal ??

Thanks of the help:)

CurtisG
07-13-2003, 08:25 PM
Hi KHALID,

You can simply parent your objects together, and characterize them. Works like a charm...=)

Cheers!

KHALID
07-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Hay CurtisG,
Do you mean I parent the OBJ in LW layout, Or I do it in MB?Do I have to name the OBJs body parts Like I would name the Skelitons for MB? Do I have to have the OBJs the same number to MBs Base Bones?
I'am very sorry this is my 9th day of using MB & I need a little more details if you don't mind!
Thank a lot for your support :D

3DDave
07-14-2003, 05:42 AM
I am working with a robotic character right now. I used 100% weight maps on each segment that I do not want any deformations on. I then setup the bones to reference the repsective weight map. When you animate in MB you will see arm twisting. That's ok, you can eliminate that in Lightwave by turning on "use weight map only". Only do this when your ready to do your final render in LW. Don't export an FBX file with "use weight map only". MB doesn't support this feature.

KHALID
07-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Dave,
In order for this to work properly ,Do I have to have the OBJs match to MBs Base Bones? Like Head, Neck........... The list goes on.:hmm:

3DDave
07-14-2003, 04:47 PM
I guess it depends on the kind of robot. Mine is human like so the bones work out ok.

What kind of robot are you making?

KHALID
07-14-2003, 05:31 PM
I can send you a Jpg but not on this forum because it will take longer to find out how to plot the image in there, so If you like I can send you how it looks to an email address!

LFGabel
07-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Have you tried what CurtisG suggested? It sounds like you don't require bones or weight maps. Just parent your objects together.

KHALID
07-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Guys I need both answers for both quastion please, if you know that would be great:surprised

1-Do I parent them or the parts of the robot in LW or in MB???
2- Do I have to have the OBJs matching Motion builders Base Bones in (numbers ) & in (names) so it would snap in the Rig MB system automatically?or am I thinking in the wrong way?

Thanks

LFGabel
07-14-2003, 08:35 PM
I've never tried this but if I were going to do so, I would

- Parent the parts in LW.
- Name the parts whever you want, but maintaint he correct hierarchy. You can manually drag and drop the parts in MB is it doesn't autocharacterize.

I'd do some experimenting...

KHALID
07-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks,
I wil try that an get back to you if there is any dificulise...

LFGabel
07-15-2003, 11:27 PM
I did a few tests myself (attached scene file).

Here's what I did:

- I made a really basic biped comprised of shapes only; no bones. Each shape was on it's own layer and named properly. I used the bare minimum needed for a MB control rig.

- I moved the pivot points in Modeler to their corresponding places on the character.

- I loaded the object into LW, and parented all the pieces together, then exported an FBX.

- Once in MB, I tried to autocharacterize, but it didn't work (probably because there were no bones in the object). No problem, I manually dragged the body parts in the character to their proper spots in the character definition pane.

- I characterized the character. The control rig worked as well as mapping it to some saved motions.

- I selected the character, plotted all animation and saved selection to a new file.

- I merged back into LW and everything was all mucked up. It looks like MB doesn't respect the pivot point info when going back to LW.

Of course there are ways around this:

- one mesh with 100% weight maps tied to bones (3DDave's suggestion above)
- Model all your body parts, then center them on the origin, then rebuild the character once in Layout

Anyway, I think 3DDave's suggestion is probably better. It offers more control and you can build your character in one layer.

Mechis
07-16-2003, 02:54 AM
Interesting. Thanks for posting your results!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.