PDA

View Full Version : Breaking into Previsualization?

Frayray
04-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm looking for some advice.

I'm finishing up a one year film and TV degree at Sheridan College where I specialized in producing and directing. During our first semester we learned Antics3D for previsualization. While a bit clunky, I loved working with the program, and I've decided I'd like to get into previsualization as a potential career path.

I'm a little lacking in knowledge on the VFX side of things, but I've been teaching myself Maya, After Effects, and I already know the basics of Photoshop. And of course I know the entire workflow of a film from start to finish, as well as camera placement, framing, etc., etc.

Going back to school for animation is not an option, I simply don't have the funds, and after 6 years, I'm kind of ready to begin working.

My question then, is what other software should I be trying to learn and where? And how does one break into the VFX industry for previsualization?

Kanga
04-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Ah your first post.
Welcome Fraser!

I suspect there are all sorts of areas where previz is usefull. I only have general advice so forgive me if you know this already.

Choose an area of previz that interests you most and research it on the web. If you are thinking of using characters in your folio then I would suggest CAT as a rigging and animation system, I think it plugs in nicely to Maya and comes with Max 2010. There is also Character studio in Max which is quite good. Also check out Motion Builder, I haven't used it yet but it looks amazing.

Look for businesses that provide previz and look at the quality being offered. Make a reel, put it on the web, start calling.

While you are making projects for the reel get an open source planner app and keep a record of each phase so you know how long each step takes. This is also handy for mapping your improvement as you progress with each subsequent piece. Vital for freelancers who must formulate quotes, but also very useful as a detailed answer for potential employers. (Ed Harris: "How to get a Job in Computer Animation." (http://www.edharriss.com/getajob/index.htm) )

Easy as that :)
Good luck
Chris

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2009, 04:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.