PDA

View Full Version : Protest closing of the thread "Read: Average Salaries of Art school professors"

Stankluv
04-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I feel that the CG Staff member made an egregious error closing the thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=283&t=753633

I understand the policy of no salary discussions on the forum, but this thread is tucked away within the school forum and is presented as a way of discriminating against different schools on the grounds of staff value.

This thread is intended for CG consumers, aka prospective cg students.

I could go on, but this situation clearly represents a poor executive decission on the part of a cgtalk staff member and completely devalues the value of all academic information on this forum.

I specifically told the proprietor of my school that I chose that institution because of ads on this site. I saw this site as a foundation within the CG community, when I was on the outside looking in. I categorically will tell the young poeple I speak with that are curious about cg when I speak at schools and what not, to go anywhere but here for information regarding decission making regarding CG courses, or particularly I will refer them to other sites and services.

Now that I am on the inside looking out, I find the notion of salary discussion being verboten distasteful, but I understand. But in this situation where it is presented in a manner intended to inform the consumer, I find the CG talk staff member's actions irresponsible and unfortunate.

I will still be a part of this forum, but the concerns I raised and the effect it will have on my personal actions are admittedly minute, but actual. Sorry for the terse tone but I consider these types of situations to be extremely serious and would prefer an err-on-the-side-of-freedom type of decision making process.

Thank you,

JDex
04-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I feel that the CG Staff member made an egregious error closing the thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=283&t=753633

I understand the policy of no salary discussions on the forum, but this thread is tucked away within the school forum and is presented as a way of discriminating against different schools on the grounds of staff value.

This thread is intended for CG consumers, aka prospective cg students.

I could go on, but this situation clearly represents a poor executive decission on the part of a cgtalk staff member and completely devalues the value of all academic information on this forum.

I specifically told the proprietor of my school that I chose that institution because of ads on this site. I saw this site as a foundation within the CG community, when I was on the outside looking in. I categorically will tell the young poeple I speak with that are curious about cg when I speak at schools and what not, to go anywhere but here for information regarding decission making regarding CG courses, or particularly I will refer them to other sites and services.

Now that I am on the inside looking out, I find the notion of salary discussion being verboten distasteful, but I understand. But in this situation where it is presented in a manner intended to inform the consumer, I find the CG talk staff member's actions irresponsible and unfortunate.

I will still be a part of this forum, but the concerns I raised and the effect it will have on my personal actions are admittedly minute, but actual. Sorry for the terse tone but I consider these types of situations to be extremely serious and would prefer an err-on-the-side-of-freedom type of decision making process.

Thank you,

<Mod hat OFF>

I understand your concerns, and at one point long ago shared them... but there are many good reasons that it is not just inappropriate to discuss salary in a public venue such as this, but many reasons that make it purely ineffectual.

Salaries vary wildly - irrespective of alma mater, degree, experience, locale, personality, etc... etc.. etc.

There is absolutely no way to make the conversation be useful... it's purely the opposite of irresponsible and in my eyes represents a perfectly rational executive decision to preclude the discussion based upon the types of discussion that it devolves into, with limited to no usefulness.

taxguy
04-19-2009, 02:09 AM
The moderator notes regarding salary comparison of professor at various schools,"There is absolutely no way to make the conversation be useful... "

Response: Not useful to whom? I as a parent would find average salary comparisons paid to faculty VERY USEFUL. If we are looking at two schools, for example, whererby one school has an average salary well below national average and one is way above, this might well influence a student's and/or parent's decision as to which school to send their kids to. Moreover the thread noted that cost of living has to be factored in.

Bottom Line: Although I certainly respect CG policy on this issue, I would humbly submit that if forum participants were polled on this issue , the vast majority of folks who view the college forum would find this information useful.

Stankluv
04-19-2009, 07:20 AM
I just feel that within the context of informing consumers, wether they be inside or outside of our field, there can be nothing that resembles any type of fraud with regards to the dissemination of information.

If any information here regarding any institution is "forbidden", but otherwise legitimate, to mean not slanderous or libel; this entire forum's value is diminished, if not, in need of being singled out as suspect.

In short, I feel that this forum is a particular source of information people should avoid regarding the selection of education institutions for the reasons I outlined above.

leigh
04-19-2009, 12:26 PM
What part of "salaries cannot be discussed on this site" don't you people understand? If you want the information, google it. No-one is stopping you. But don't come here and discuss it.
Thread closed.