PDA

View Full Version : Eyes - crossed, parallel or in between?

psil
07-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Hey character animators,

I've got a character's eyeballs oriented toward nulls (i.e. the character is always looking at the nulls). How far apart should the nulls be ? on top of each other? same distance as eyeballs ? somewhere in between ? Should the distance vary?

Atm I'm guessing somewhere in between, but is there some convention or physically correct formula ? Eye movement is soooo important, I don't wanna get it badly wrong.

MDuffy
07-15-2003, 04:46 PM
When a character looks at something, their eyes converge on that one point. But if you have both eyes aiming at the same point, then when your character looks far away you'll have to move your eye target far away in order to get the eyes aiming parallel enough.

I'd suggest hanging both the left and right eye aim nulls off of another null that sits between them. This middle control null is what you would actually move. The left and right targets should initially start so that they are the same distance apart as the eyeballs themselves. However the main control should have a slider/channel on it for controlling how wide apart the individual eye targets are, so you can dial up a converging focus very easily.

If you are doing a cartoon character, then the left and right eye targets should also be individually animatable, on top of the above mentioned control. That will give you the most flexibility.

Cheers,
Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net

psil
07-17-2003, 01:51 PM
That works well:thumbsup: Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.