PDA

View Full Version : Character : Head

Mr. Nice Guy
07-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Hi guys, I have posted this one awhile ago also in the WIP, but there wasn't much response on it. So I going to try it again in here.

I'm making this for myself and trying to make my skills better in character modeling. So I want some C&C on what I am doing good and what I am doing wrong (like loops and other things)

I'm using Max 5.1 on a PIII 500 with 640 Ram. I also must say that I'm not a quick updater.

Here is a render version of the front and right view with meshsmooth wire
http://www.weber-images.nl/wip/head_render.jpg

And here is a the unsmoothed wire in the viewports
http://www.weber-images.nl/wip/head_renderwire.jpg

Bye for now

gnarlycranium
07-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Lemme guess... reference photo used was Angelina Jolie, semi-profile shot from the Tomb Raider promo poster. ;)

Good news-- you've done a nice job with that pic, when it comes to the bulging forehead problem that most people who use it end up with.

Your wire also looks promising, though in those tiny pics it's very hard to tell how you've got things arranged around the mouth.

Proportions seem good, though the eyes might be just a little too close together. I'd have to see what front ref pic you were using to know.

Bad news-- The ears look great except that they're too flat, deepen them with a bowl shape in mind, and bring up those internal ridges to get things really moving.

It's hard to tell in pics this size, but there's some problems with the outlines of the lips, especially at the corners.

And the biggest issue of all, the bulgy cheekbones. The cheeks look almost like they should belong to a fat little baby, much too puffy. There should not be a trough alongside the sides of the nose, the cheeks should ramp up smoothly to the bridge of the nose, never coming perpindicular to the side view. This is one of the most common mistakes people make in head modeling-- and actually, one of the next ones I'm going to try to detail in my head modeling tutorial.

In fact, you might want to check out my head tutorial page (http://www.logrhythms.com/Leah/tuts/BHhome.html) for some more info on this stuff.

And BTW-- Don't post those kinds of rendered wireframes, post screenshots of the base-level mesh instead so we can see it better.

mefestofel
07-13-2003, 03:58 PM
OK let me start of by asking is it a male or a female head. Is it an asian guy or a slightly overwheigh older woman? Are you working from a referance? If so i would love to see it and hold off on my coments till i see it.

As is, the two things that are wrong no matter who it is:
-the head should not be so square, it should be rounded out at the top.
-it looks like you made one half and then mirrored it but you didn't clean it up after. I can still see the seam running down the middle of the face.

gnarlycranium
07-13-2003, 08:52 PM
mefestofel-- Seams are typical in WIP heads. The mirrored sides of a face aren't welded together, and the different portions made asymmetrical, until the head is very near finished.

Goon
07-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Look up some photos of Jaime Pressly. She has two photos that are dead on front and profile (be prepared for perspective distortion if you work in orthographic mode). Real nice to work with. Plus shes hot in an aneroxic bony odd way.

jrwells
07-14-2003, 01:46 AM
It looks like you are going to need to work on those eyes as well. I would suggest picking up some reference material on eyes if you cannot zoom into your current reference shots close enough to see real detail. The side views show that the eyes are almost completely hidden, plus I cannot see any real definition of the eyelids on either top or bottom. If you do make changes and post another picture up I would like to see it with the gloss level turned down a bit, right now that is throwing me. Once you have the head rounded out at the top and the cheeks fixed I think it will really start falling into place.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.