PDA

View Full Version : Whirley line motion

poltek
04-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Hello, I'd like to know how I would go about creating this effect.

I use cinema 4d though I can use 3ds max if c4d is unable to achieve it.

I've attached the mock-up.

Essentially, the effect is quick spinning 'whirly' lines (many of them, as in around 20). I realize I can create a circle spline then use sweep nurbs to create a rounded path but I just can't get the visual appearance of it to resemble the image I have in mind like the one shown in the mockup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Karnageddon
04-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Do you mean by getting the visual appearance animated showing the whirly lines?? im assuming you made the picture so at least that parts done.

The easiest way i can think of is to create a sphere, remove all the faces down to 1 row in the middle going a full 360 around the sphere, cloning that several times for the other blue streaks followed by rotating them in random positions and finally wiring their rotation to the shape of the proxy streak.
If you can post a wireframe, i can find show you the best way of doing it. I can think of a few ways to achieve the effect you have so far, but all of them involve a different process to animate, so im not really sure where to start without seeing exactly what you have first. Im not familiar with c4d btw so I will only be able to explain through max.

poltek
04-18-2009, 12:00 PM
The example attached was a mock up I did in photoshop to illustrate the type of 'glowing whirley' lines (or, light streaks/beams) I want. - Notice how they are thin at each end and fat in the middle, it makes it more organic I feel.

These would spin around at a fairly fast pace around the sphere.

The trouble is, is that by cutting up a sphere (large size) and editing the pixels is that it won't give the same effect when they spin to the edge of the sphere (upon going to the edge, they would be 2D and thus invisible). I suppose you could model fat little models that resemble the light streaks in the mock up. I could try that unless there's a better solution.

Thanks.

Karnageddon
04-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Ah, i see what you're getting at.
Here's one i made in about 30 minutes (http://www.vimeo.com/4213871), is this the type of effect you're looking for?

> Here's what i did to get this look, once u have the main sphere, create a circle around the sphere and a much smaller sphere to rotate around it.

>Select small sphere- apply Path Deform (WSM) and select the circle for the path, now change the stretch to your preference and click on Move to Path, from here you can further scale the shape directly on the path, but do not click move to path after or it will default to the regular shape.

>Now you have full control over one of these, so what you do next is clone several more of the circle/sphere bindings (i made 6 total) and keep one of them as the proxy, just label it so you remember which one. You can also select each path/sphere pair and rotate them randomly around the main sphere so they dont all go in the same direction (unless you want them to of course)

>Press Alt+5 to bring up the Wire Parameter Dialog window. Here you will wire the others directly to the proxy so you dont have to animate them one by one.

>First we will make the others follow the path follow percentage of the proxy, so find your proxy in the left window, expand it-space warp-path deform binding-percentage along path. Now go to the right window and select the first small sphere that will be following the proxy, expand all the way to percentage along path again and select it, now when you select something on both sides, 3 arrow boxes in the middle become available. What you want to do here is click on the one pointing --->, this will only let the proxy control the slave and not vice versa, once its enabled, click connect below it.

>If you change the percentage along path for the proxy back in the viewport, the slave will move as well now. Follow the same steps for the rest of them small sphere slaves as well.

> In mine, i have also set a circle path proxy that rotates along the Z axis, causing the slave paths to rotate along either their x, y or z axis, i wanted to create more randomness that way. You can do this by wiring the proxy circle-transform-rotation-(select axis) to the slave circle -transform-rotation-)select axis)

>The glows were added using video post.

Hope this helps you out.

EDIT: I forgot one step, i realized from your previous post that you didnt want to show the sphere shape, well what you can do in that case is change the transparency of the material to 0 and use the glow effects in video post as i did, it worked both ways for me.

poltek
04-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks a lot. I couldn't have asked for a better reply.

Could you publicly host the video? It's saying it's private.

Thanks again.

Karnageddon
04-18-2009, 09:22 PM
ugh...keeps defaulting to private, the link is fixed.

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2009, 09:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.