PDA

View Full Version : Working towards a new demo reel...

danman86
04-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Hello all,
After a layoff before Christmas, I found myself jobless and in need of a new demo reel. I've decided to start completely from scratch. I know it may take sometime, but I really think it's for the better. But anyhoo, for the last couple months I've been doing some animation studies of a military soldier. Here is a video showing a collection of all the finished cycles I've done so far. Hope you enjoy and please let me know what you think.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9KuoXFnKI

Comments & Critiques welcomed of course.
There's always room to improve afterall.

stuartb
04-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey dan, great stuff you have here! Theres a ton of animation there, so hard to give specific feedback overall. However, here are the things that really stuck out to me:

Creep+knife Walk cycle:
I feel should be varied just slightly on each step. Removing or adding 1 frame will probably do the trick to either make one step a bit faster or a bit slower. Right now though it feels too even. You may also want to slightly speed up the passing pose. Remember that even a "creep" is a controlled fall and there should be some some slight acceleration as the foot comes down. Finally, I know it looks like you're going for super realism here and straights rarely occur outside of animation, but as the feet land I think if you pushed the leg out into a straight, we would feel the weight shift a tad better.

March Time+rifle leaning on shoulder:
The overlap in the head looks solid here. I would definitely get a leg-straight in on this march time walk cycle and ease into it with a tad more swing on the legs. Right now it looks like he's kind of stepping down instead of out. Also, don't foget to add overlap to the swinging arm here, it looks pretty stiff at the moment.

Side Step+aim rifle:
I really like this one. You vary up the timing on each step which gives it a more organic feeling. Great work on this one.

Grenade throw:
This animation is probably the most floaty when compared to the others. You need more anticipation on the back swing. Ease into the pull back a bit more then really launch out of the pose so the audience can feel the weight changing.

Overall, I think it's great stuff. However, I think there's some room to push your poses more. Even though the animation style closer to realism, you still need to exaggerate your golden poses. What works in reality doesn't always work in animation. Also, a lot of the cycles just felt very evenly timed. Of course some of this is to be expected due to the nature of cycles, but try and mix things up a bit so it doesn't look so repetitive.

Best of luck with the final reel m8. Keep up the good work :]
-stuartb

ilmostrog
04-17-2009, 10:08 PM
This is a lot of good stuff. Here are some thoughts that came to mind.

First pistol move in a crouch. I think realistically a soldier would move with the pistol up at eye level ready to fire (same goes for the pistol move on the stairs really).

Piston fire. His head jerks a lot at each shot. What would cause this? A trained soldier wouldn't be fazed by the action or sound of the pistol and I don't think even a really heavy caliber pistol would cause such head movement without affecting the back and neck first.

Grenade throw. That stiff armed throw was taught during WWII because they were using fragment grenades and that would allow the grenade to explode in the air above someone or at their level vs. exploding on the ground which would deflect a lot of the shrapnel. I don't know if modern soldiers throw them that way and if it is a smoke or a percussion grenade they probably use what ever method is going to allow for accuracy and distance.

Good stuff, keep it coming

danman86
04-22-2009, 04:00 AM
Wow, thanks for the thorough feedback guys. You are definitely picking up things I wouldn't have noticed. After awhile it all looks the same anyways lol Changes will be made as soon as I get some time to :D

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2009, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.