PDA

View Full Version : HDR Light Probes - Where to find mirror balls?

AtomAndBrad
04-17-2009, 03:58 AM
Hey CGS. I'm going to be doing a fairly big project soon that will mostly be a composite project between 3D and live-action. It's important that the 3D sit very well within the live-action so I was hoping to go with an HDRI light setup. I have experience with using the images, but I've never actually MADE any of the images on my own. I know that one of the primary methods of creating these images is using a mirror ball. My question is, where do you GET these mirror balls? I've seen people mention gardening shops, but the ones I'm thinking of for gardens just seem far too large. Also, what's a good method for mounting these?

Any links to comprehensive guides to the process would be very appreciated. I've spent the past hour on google trying to get a concrete answer, but surprisingly enough I wasn't able to find anything really thorough. Most of the stuff I found was just on how to use the images, which I already know.

gregsandor
04-17-2009, 06:16 AM
I bought mine at WalMart in the garden section for ten bucks.

AtomAndBrad
04-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Was it just called a "mirror ball"? Where would you find it in Wal-Mart? How big is it? And how do you go about mounting it?

gregsandor
04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
In the garden section. "Glass Gazing Ball." 10" diameter. Hand held, though I'm working up a design for a bracket to attach it to a tripod.

AtomAndBrad
04-17-2009, 10:19 PM
When I see demos/examples of people doing their own HDRI shoots, it always seems to be a somewhat smaller ball, mounted on a monopod. It just seems to be such a common thing, yet I can't find ANYWHERE that says where to get one or how to build it...

frizDog
04-17-2009, 10:26 PM
These work really well:
http://www.dube.com/balls/steel-juggling-balls.php

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2009, 10:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.