PDA

View Full Version : Silly Girl Walk Cycle

ajfrank
04-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Well more like a hopping or skipping cycle. My first attempt at a skipping, or hopping, cycle. Still a W.I.P. Critiques are welcomed like always.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot46Lc9kWnU

stuartb
04-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Nice start aj. Few things, first, keep the camera stationary. It's hard to keep track of the arcs and timing with the camera slowly swiveling around the character. Plus, moving the camera really doesn't add anything.

I would also take a look at your spacing. Think of the bouncing ball, when it rises to the top of it's arc it eases in then back out again before heading back down towards the ground. The same principle applies to a skip. The spacing of poses should be closer together when she's at the top of her skip/arc and the spacing should be further apart as she's pushing off and landing. Remember that greater distance between poses generates the illusion of speed, while poses that are closer together appear to be moving slower.

Finally, get some life out of the head overlap and facial expressions. Right now the head looks like one of those bobbers you see in cars of celebrities or politicians. Try and break up the cycle by varying the second skip and head arc. This will make the animation appear less like a cycle and more natural.

In any case, hope some of this helped. Look forward to seeing the next pass.
-stuartb

ajfrank
04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you. Now thats a type of a critique I've been waiting for when I post my work. Good critique.

I agree with everything you stated and I will fix the problems for the next update. But I'm going to save the facial expressions for the very last. I want to get the body mechanics down packed first.

Only reason why I have my camera rotating is because I want to show the cycles in the left, front and right view. I dont like having a walk cycle with a stationary camera, or with just one view, because then all you need to do is animate based off that one camera shot. I like to make sure my cycles are good in all angles, so I don't get used to animating based on just that one angle. But I can understand it being hard to visualize things while the camera's moving so in my next update I might just do cuts instead.

Thanks again for the good critique :thumbsup:

ajfrank
04-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Update on the walk. A lot better than the first!
Manage to fix the timing and popping in the arm issues.
Now working on her head and also adding little extra weight to her when she lands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_adxhUHKMyU

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2009, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.