PDA

View Full Version : facial targets after rigging ?

TBone2008
04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi
can I rig a character, do the animations of the body,
and THEN create facial morph targets & the blend shapes to animate therafter ? or does it all ahve to be before I rig the body ?

thanx

derik
04-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Anything is possible!
Try "front of chain" blenshapes

Also look at this link , its not directly related to your question , but the same method can be used succesfully.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=88&t=740477

If it doesn't make sense , post me a scene file , and I'll set up an example file for you.
(Public holiday here tomorrow , so I'll only be able to get back to you in 2 days time)

Boucha
04-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Yes...you can rig/ animate and then do the blendshape and animate on them. Make sure that your animators are cool with it.

In fact, most peoples/studios go with this work flow. Initially the animators are kept busy with a low resolution puppet for blocking out...The rig most likely will be constantly updated with new skinning updates, rig fixes and yes newer facial shapes...

TBone2008
04-22-2009, 01:26 AM
thanks. would you recommend to use the whole body as the model for the facial-expressions, or to cut the body after rigging and create facial expressions from heads duplicates ?

JamSession
04-22-2009, 01:39 AM
It doesn't matter calculation wise(there are a bunch of threads that discuss how blendshapes are calculated, but to sum it up, it only looks for verts that moved). It may be easier for the modeler to not have to deal with the entire body especially if it is really hi res.

In other words, it doesn't matter whether you make shapes from the entire body or just from the head.

Boucha
04-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Well...you can do the either way. Usually people go for a split merge procedure before initiating to rig the character. This is done to seperate the head from the model and successfully re apply the blendshape from the head model to the whole body model without the topology from blasting. This is a standard procedure. As for your, you can create blendshape on the whole model itself...

TBone2008
04-22-2009, 01:54 AM
thanks guys. if I were to cut the head, and make blend shapes after rigging: how do I make sure it will fit the topolgy, I cut it before or after I rig ?

Nothingness
05-11-2009, 04:15 AM
i would say before the rig.

Changing topology after a rig is not a funcky way.
Unless there are ways but i doubt they are easy.

MacF
05-14-2009, 07:50 AM
i would say before the rig.

Changing topology after a rig is not a funcky way.
Unless there are ways but i doubt they are easy.

i have to strongly agree. even though there would be ways around it but it seems like too much trouble to avoid doing it before the rig.

is there some way you can construct a framework to modify the blendshapes comfortably if/when your animators request it?

derik
05-14-2009, 10:28 AM
is there some way you can construct a framework to modify the blendshapes comfortably if/when your animators request it?

Take a look at this method from Peter Shipkov
It works very well for reconstructing blendshapes after rigging

http://www.petershipkov.com/tutorials/blendShapes/blendShapes.htm

Remi
05-14-2009, 01:56 PM
If you haven't rigged it yet, do the blendshapes before you do, it'll make life easier for you, but you may need to add/tweak/remove some later on, just make sure you save a scene with your blends. If you've already rigged it, and need to add blendshapes, use the method in the last link.

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2009, 01:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.