PDA

View Full Version : "Adding blendhshapes after you've rigged and binded" question

hopper2k
07-13-2003, 03:24 AM
I have already rigged and binded a character, but I want to add blendshapes to the head. What I want to do, is unbind the head and then make the blend shapes like I normally due. My problem is binding the head again when I am done, but it doesn't let me. It just gives me an error. My only solution is to unbind the entire character, add blendshapes, then rebind the entire character, which I do not want to do because it took me a long time to do in the first place. Is there a solution to this? Please help, thanks.

Buexe
07-13-2003, 09:11 AM
You don`t have to unbind your head to add blendshapes in the first place. You can add them after you bound the skin. Just watch out for the deformation order. I believe that you have to put the blendshape node before the skinCLuster node. YOu can change the deformation order by right clicking on your object, a marking menu appears, go to inputs > list all inputs, a new window with all nodes on your object should appear, now you can use the middle mouse button to change the order in which the nodes affect your object.
Hope this helps
buexe

S. J. Tubbrit
07-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Sorry to jump onto your topic. What order are blendshape normally added, I have a character I'm working with right now, and I've rigged it just the way I want it, but I haven't yet binded anything, do I create the blendshapes now? and then rig? or vice versa?

Thanks in advance....

hopper2k
07-14-2003, 02:14 AM
Thanks Buexe, but I did not have to do all that though. What I did, was create the blendshapes for my head object in another file, then imported all those blendshapes and added them onto my binded head, and it worked! Phew, that saved me a lot of time.

S. J. Tubbrit, you can make blendshapes before you bind if you want, or you can make them after the object is binded, as I just did. Just make sure you have an unbinded copy of the object you are going to use to make blendshapes. I made blendshapes with that copy, then added those blendshapes to the binded object. If it doesn't work then, then use Buexe's advice. It is okay to add the blendshapes before you bind, but it is not necessary.

Buexe
07-14-2003, 09:02 AM
hopper2k: great it worx, I wasn`t sure which order they really have to be and I was too lazy to look it up ; )
S. J. Tubbrit: Since I find my rigging method is non linear (no special order) I can not really say when I add blendshapes. Usually I make some basic blends early, but add most later when the animators and/or director demand it. I just watch out that I have a proper UV Layout before I start binding anything. This way it is easy to unbind/rebind skin., but that is a phylosophical question and others do it otherwise, I like it this way.
Cheerio
buexe

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.