PDA

View Full Version : What is the best book for animation technique?

milqman
07-13-2003, 01:52 AM
I was thinking of

The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams or

The Animator's Workbook by Tony White

Mangled Poly
07-13-2003, 03:19 AM
the survival wins period

Celshader
07-13-2003, 03:28 AM
Here's how I see it:

Beginners -- Preston Blair's Cartoon Animation. Great illustrations, and it covers the basics well.

Intermediate -- Richard Williams' Animator's Survival Kit. Picks up where Preston Blair's book leaves off, with lots of illustrations.

Advanced -- Frank and Ollie's Disney Animation: The Illlusion of Life. Goes into the nuances of storytelling and performance, with many beautiful examples from Disney classics.

I have all three on my shelf. I've read them all, but I've only begun to get a handle on the contents of Preston Blair's book. I have learned much from all three, though:
http://www.celshader.com/gallery/md/TKD-kara.mov

I also have Tony White's book. It has good stuff in it, too, but I see it as more of a supplement to the books above.

:arteest:

milqman
07-13-2003, 04:37 AM
Well I'm looking at buying Preston Blair's book and Richard WIlliam's also.

Do you reccommend getting both, Celshader?

Celshader
07-13-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by milqman
Well I'm looking at buying Preston Blair's book and Richard WIlliam's also.

Do you reccommend getting both, Celshader?

If you can afford it, yes! Both of them are great books. :)

milqman
07-13-2003, 06:52 AM
Hey Celshader, what do you think of Timothy Albee's book on animation?

Do you think it would be better to get Albee's book or the more generalized animation books?

Albee's looks enticing to me perhaps because its focused on Lightwave... which is cool...

Steve Warner
07-13-2003, 07:07 PM
I haven't looked at Richard or Tony's books, but I can say that George Maestri's Digital Character Animation 2 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1562059300/qid=1058120064/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/002-3383738-1965621?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) is a really great entry-level book. It covers character design, modeling, and all the essentials of animation. The character modeling tutorials are a little thin, but his information on character design is solid. It's worth checking out.

Nemoid
07-14-2003, 01:17 PM
1) Prestom Blair. (for beginner's but very good.)
2) the Animator Survival kit (intermediate and fundamental!!)
3) Illusion of Life (great resource of information , overall for Disney technique and animatio history)

after learned the principles of animation Albee's book can be good to apply them in Lw. also, u find great infos in AWN website.there area also some John Lasseter 3d animation principles there.
animation in 3D is slightly different from classic handrawn animation to get the same results but in some different way.

ah, another great reference for animation are the Grimes DVD.
Grimes really is a good 3d animator and uses Lw.

and also, to see good animations check out some Aardman and related DVDs with the fantastic movies of Wallace and Groomit ,Chicken's run and other things.
if you haven't them yet, they are a must for animation ,
lighting and direction even if they are clay anim.
:thumbsup:

scotttygett
07-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Though this isn't my "expert" opinion,

the Preston Blair has stuff in it that you don't realize is there. Silhouette staging, for instance, is a very big deal.

I browsed the Williams book, and I am probably overdue to buy it.

www.spicycricket.com by Angie Jones covers animation principles with links to things like the all-important eyebrows. It shows the 3D versions of 2D characters.

As for the realities of 3D character animation production, I haven't heard of anything solid yet. I wonder what Jeff Lew is coming out with, but that's going to be a DVD, not a book.

Angie's site and "Lion King" or another solid title will probably teach a lot. The best animation schools would have students study cartoons frame-by-frame.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.