Celshader
07-12-2003, 10:40 PM
A roundhouse kick followed by a reverse roundhouse kick:
http://www.celshader.com/gallery/md/TKD-kara.mov

BeCOOL_MiN
07-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Nice Animation~
I like it...

However, are you sure that taekwondo has these kind of kick?

-_-;

It more seems like Kick-Boxing~~

Anyway, Good~ JOB...

Celshader
07-13-2003, 12:04 AM
Thanks! :)

Originally posted by BeCOOL_MiN
However, are you sure that taekwondo has these kind of kick?

They're two of the kicks I learned when I took taekwondo classes at Michigan State University. :cool:

BiTMAP
07-13-2003, 01:16 AM
wow..... just wow.

The cellshader is great, and the character has a personality revealed even in just that little bit of rendering. :) Very very nice work :D

mimo8
07-13-2003, 01:32 AM
great timing
love the textile

moooooore°°°

DJ Bindhi
07-13-2003, 01:54 AM
Love it. Only comments is that her hop after the thai/round kick seems to come out of nowhere, prior to the reverse hook--I think that if you show her bend her supporting leg more and spring off of it that would alleviate this problem. I like how the fact her hips drive the kicks is exaggerated, converying a sense of power.

behzad
07-13-2003, 02:00 AM
straighten her last kick, the bent leg does come too fast.

Elpaco
07-13-2003, 02:15 AM
Awesome animation....I want to see more!:thumbsup:

Celshader
07-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Thanks, guys!

Originally posted by DJ Bindhi
Love it. Only comments is that her hop after the thai/round kick seems to come out of nowhere, prior to the reverse hook--I think that if you show her bend her supporting leg more and spring off of it that would alleviate this problem. I like how the fact her hips drive the kicks is exaggerated, converying a sense of power.

Hm...I'll see what I can do, but in taekwondo those kicks are thrown with the hip, not with the leg itself. The loose leg gets used more like a 20-to-30-pound club than anything else. I'll see if I can put more anticipation into that kick, though! :D

UnlikelyCorny
07-14-2003, 12:02 AM
It's great. I've seen the model before and it is amazing how well the celshader behaves. The clothsimulation is perfect as well and it's a shame that there always has to be something that starts to bug after a while. That is the hair...It pierces the shoulder in a well, less natural way. I feel terible to complain about something so small, but it's just that tiny bit that keeps it from being perfect.

Celshader
07-15-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by UnlikelyCorny
It's great. I've seen the model before and it is amazing how well the celshader behaves. The clothsimulation is perfect as well and it's a shame that there always has to be something that starts to bug after a while. That is the hair...It pierces the shoulder in a well, less natural way. I feel terible to complain about something so small, but it's just that tiny bit that keeps it from being perfect.

Hm...I just frame-by-framed my character in OpenGL and you are correct -- the tips of the corner of the bangs pierce the left shoulder on frame 48. :sad: The motion blur covers it up, but I'll add shoulder collision for the bangs in the future.

On the bright side, the hair does not pierce the shoulder during any other part of the animation:

http://www.celshader.com/images/bboards/kick_059.jpg

hopper2k
07-15-2003, 03:46 AM
I like it, but I think the back kick with the left leg is too slow. I mean, I'm no expert, but after looking at it a few times, that back kick with the left leg make's it seem the scene goes into a slight slo mo. I'm about to get involved into some experimental martial arts animation of my own and I know it's going to be tough. How long did it take you to animate this 2 sec clip?

Celshader
07-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by hopper2k
How long did it take you to animate this 2 sec clip?

I spent at least four days total animating the character's body, from torso to extremities, ears and face. I also spent an additional day setting up and calculating deformations for the hair and tunic. The hair itself got done within two hours, but I spent the rest of the day on the tunic. The tunic took so long because I wanted a deformation calculation that would stay "modest" on at least her first kick and leave her rear end covered. :D If I had to do it over again, I'd have put extra bones into the tunic to better control its direction of movement.

Jevin
07-16-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Celshader

http://www.celshader.com/images/bboards/kick_059.jpg

This part is the only thing I actually have an issue with. It seems like the leg is bending beyond the splits position. Now I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it does look rather unnatural. Of course, if you meant to do it that way, then there's no prob.

golem
07-17-2003, 04:07 PM
very very good.
but i find 2nd kick a bit innatural, i mean both torso and right feet should follow the rotation, or the same kick could not be so powerful as you did because of skeletrical stucture.

golem

Celshader
07-18-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by golem
very very good.
but i find 2nd kick a bit innatural, i mean both torso and right feet should follow the rotation, or the same kick could not be so powerful as you did because of skeletrical stucture.

golem

Thanks! I think you may be right about the torso...my bad. :D

The right heel has to face the target, though. I took this sequence of moves from a combination I learned in TKD class:
http://www.msu.edu/~spock/cp4.html

...the animation follows steps 4-5a.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.