PDA

View Full Version : DOF stupidity, looking for help

Anoma1y
07-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Hey, I'm back for another quite n00bish lw question.

I'm working on a CD cover for a local punk band, and they specifically told me that they wanted some sort of photographic depth blur.

But whenever I turn on DOF and drag out the focal length to about where I want the scene to start getting blurry, nothing ever happens when I render. No matter what F-stop distance I set or anything, its like it just doesnt work.

What am I doing wrong here?

milqman
07-12-2003, 10:53 PM
if you are using the camera's focal blur in the camera options, the antialiasing has to be set on Medium or above. Medium Enhanced works quite well

You could try using Digital Confusion in the Scene/Image Process/Add Image Filter/Digital Confusion...

Steve Warner
07-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Anoma1y
But whenever I turn on DOF and drag out the focal length to about where I want the scene to start getting blurry, nothing ever happens when I render.
Your focal length determines the point at which everything is in focus, not where it starts going out of focus. :)

There are a couple of things you can do to get a good DOF. First, make sure there's ample distance between your camera and your object. Second, crank your camera's zoom up. I usually use 10 as a base number for zoom with DOF. Third, raise your antialiasing. Fourth, lower your F-Stop. I mean, really lower it. Insane, unrealistic values. Like 0.1. Finally, try adding Full Precision Blur to soften things out.

Hope this helps!

Steve

LWManiac
07-12-2003, 11:17 PM
if been working with DOF myself not so long ago, and one thing
i really like is the way you can see how your DOF wil look like in
your camera viewport by placing your cursor in the viewport and press SHIFT - F9 .... in case you didn't know

oh and let us see the final artwork for the band ... would like to see what you came up with. Good luck :thumbsup:

Eugeny
07-13-2003, 11:02 AM
U can find some tut here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22923&perpage=15&highlight=eugeny&pagenumber=2)

Wesball
07-13-2003, 12:13 PM
I love me some DOF.

I love Digital Confusion... it doesn't work for all scenes... but when it does work... its fast and awesome. ;)

Anyway, I worked up a quick(really simple) scene with a box in layout that has settings for DOF using Digital Confusion.

Feel free to take it and see what my settings are. :)

Hope it helps.

lightwolf
07-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Also have a look at the Depth of Field Cutom object (included in LW7.5), which previsualises the in-focus area.
Create a null.
Parent to the Camera (Parent in Place off!).
Apply the Depth-of-Field Custom object to the camera.

Voila.

Cheers,
Mike

scotttygett
12-06-2003, 08:30 AM
I just happened across this while trying to fake a blur effect using fog and a blurred textured card...

Use fog and have OpenGL fog circles in the Display Options activated, and play with the fog number to find out the distance from the camera to the object.

Put that in as your focal length.

I bet it's in someone's book,...

Edit: Wait a minute, it SHOWS the depth of field circle in the orthographics.

Works for me.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.