PDA

View Full Version : Fox In Socks - short film WIP

chrisferguson
04-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi everyone, thanks for your advice and critique in advance, it really means a lot.

Some back-story:
My name is Chris, I'm 17, and I live in Adelaide, Australia. I have been teaching myself to use 3DS Max, and similar programs for a few years now. Next year, if at all possible, I'd like to get a job doing CG. Somewhere like Rising Sun Pictures (www.rsp.com.au (http://www.rsp.com.au)) would be fantastic, my dream job, in fact.

This being my final year of school, I'm putting my time to good use, and using a school subject as a platform, to also create what will be the centrepiece of my portfolio.

I chose to animate Dr Seuss' classic: Fox In Socks. I hope this thread will serve as a place where I can receive the expert advice and feedback I so desperately need.

Thanks again, Chris.

(I'll post my first WIP pictures soon.)

Ibeechu
04-15-2009, 11:55 PM
A fellow 17 year old/aspiring 3D guy :)

Quick question: You're finishing up your last year of school? I'm completely ignorant as to the Australian education system. I just did a Wikipedia look up and, according to that, you mean you're ending your last year of secondary school, which I suppose is pretty equivalent to High School here in America. What classes have you taken in 3D modeling and aniamtion? Also, why not go to University before pursuing a career?

Though, I know nothing about your school system, so maybe I'm wholly wrong. Just curious, though.

chrisferguson
04-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm fairly sure our education systems are quite similar.

I'm finishing year 12, which is the last year of secondary/high school after that I could go onto Uni, TAFE, or other education. I'm hoping, however, that I can get a job or traineeship at somewhere where I can learn at the place of employment.

Actual 3D courses? I have none to my credit.

My school was one of the first in the state/country to start teaching 3DS Max, but as it turned out, I knew more than the teacher did... so I taught the class 2/3 lessons.

My plan (optimistic as it may be) is to create some really high quality work that will get me through the door.

If that fails - which is an outcome I'm quite prepared for, I have other options at my disposal, I'd just like to be optimistic for the time..

chrisferguson
04-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Right, so, first stuff to put up:
Concept art.

Seeing as I can't draw, myself, I outsourced the concept art to friends and people from school.
I chose three examples to include, for the character of Fox.

http://adam.com.au/bikerider/fox_concepts_small.jpg
I began working on a rough base model for Fox, using the bottom right image as a loose basis for my design.

And, at the moment, I have have very rough start to my fox character.
A quick render, no lighting..
The fur was more a test to see what it would look like, and you may notice, it still has no head.

http://adam.com.au/bikerider/fox_fur_05.jpg

I'm especially unhappy with the feet, they don't look right at all..

Thoughts, comments, ideas, help with concept art on the character Knox, especially?

thejellymon
04-17-2009, 12:52 AM
You know Id have to say that I really like your cartoon concepts better than the more "realistic/anime" style fox...that is unless you are doing a different rendition of the Dr. Seuss story! The tail looks like its off to a great start compared to the super red fur, try adding some more variation to the fur color. Keep us posted, keep it up! :buttrock:

Cattermole
07-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Hey Chris,

David here, is that your plan (working at rsp, me to!) its about half way through the year (austrialan school year) so what going on with the progress of fox in socks, just kuckle down and work on it for a entire day every now and then, thats my advice.

Keep working for your dreams!

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2009, 04:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.