PDA

View Full Version : Expose - but now for LW only

sidewing
07-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Dear all,

I'm pleased to announce that VirtueGraphics (www.virtuegraphics.com) is in the process of creating a "Coffee table" show-book/marketing-book with your work.
Yes, the book will be created because we were inspired by the Expose book. This awesome book was an example to perfection. It is also an aid for those being published to show off their work to potential clients!

The idea is the following:
This Lightwave book will not only have your renders but also will have a company bio (or Independent contractor's bio) and have information about LW and the power of 3D. This means marketing opportunities for you LW users. Win-Win is what we are shooting for. We only accept LW renders and only in the field of:
1. Industrial Visualization
# Mechanical
# Advertisement
# Aerospace
# Architectural
# Transportation
# Marketing
2. Medical

Why are we doing this?
VirtueGraphics has been in these fields for over 3 years. While attending tradeshows and talking to potential clients we often notice that our target market don't understand how 3D can benefit them!
Our strength and niche is yachting (falls under transportation). We want to offer everyone who has skills in the above industries a change to use this book as a marketing tool. You could show to people what can be done in Lightwave's 3D. With many people submitting, we can create a show-book with the following main purposes:
1. showing that your work has been published.
2. Networking with each other.
(If someone is being asked by a client to create a render/animation in the field he has no experience in, he could refer this person/company to someone listed in the book who possesses those required skills and experience.)
3. Showing the companies in those professional industries what can be done with Lightwave (and in 3D in general).
4. By using 1 page for every person, you could use this as a brochure and reference (you can get copies once the book has been published).

My biggest request and goal:
Everyone is going to help each other by being honest and loyal to the people being published. If you don't have experience in a certain field and find a company/person who needs something done in 3D that you can't or don't feel comfortable with, just refer them to someone who does in the book.

Finally, the book will have success stories about Lightwave (used in section) and information about the benefits of 3D in general for companies with respect to marketing. Therefore we need you stories and bio's!

Show me that you are interested to get (as lightwave user) published in this book by submitting a small sample-render(s) (less then 250k) to:

info@virtuegraphics.com

If approved, we will email you to submit a large render together with a bio and success story.

Warm regards,

John Koop
VirtueGraphics

sidewing
07-12-2003, 09:41 PM
If you have any questions or positive suggestions just go ahead and reply...

KillMe
07-13-2003, 12:07 AM
would be cool to see a book of all lw stuff - though why limit the categorys? how about you jstu throw in a misc section and there is some awesome stuff being done with lw that wont fit into your categorys that is going to get the book sold alot faster than

adds and vis work no matter how well done it is.

jsut my opinion though

Chewey
07-13-2003, 01:18 AM
No apparent prior track record and the limited categories makes this a no go.

Hardly equivalent to the Expose effort.

Shade01
07-13-2003, 01:39 AM
Calling this 'Expose' for Lightwave is not quite an accurate statement. You are creating this book as an advertising/marketing venture, a visual phone book if you will. Expose was created to celebrate art for the sake of being art, I don't see much spirit in this book at all. Limiting it to just these categories means you also limit the exposure of the book, I'm sure there are plenty of businesses not in these categories that would benefit from having a book like this. If you are limiting us to just these categories, then why only Lightwave? I cannot imagine that there is this huge industry of companies in the mentioned categories that will only contact people who use Lightwave.

rickycox
07-13-2003, 02:57 AM
Mmm I tend to agree with Shade, making it focused one program only, can't be healthy. Wavers need to compete in the real world and go head to head with the best, regardless of APP.

Nemoid
07-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Categories appear to be limitating..:rolleyes:

sidewing
07-13-2003, 09:06 PM
What catagories would you like to see?

Like the once that have been suggested plus misc.?

Nemoid
07-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Well, i think some personal projects,
with some organic modelling indeed
also techniques like Celshading , cartoons style
works and things like that.

ExposŤ was conceived to put in it the best of CG and 3D works
out there.

the idea of a book about Lw works is fantastic,
it can be also a good project if the book come out
when Lw[8]is released, because it can be a good
advertisement for the app.

u can answer to me there ae also online gallerieand its true, but with profiles of the creators
and maybe a great introduction made from
some great Lw user like Proton
it would be a good book indeed.

the idea of a cover with the great
Lw logo in gold make me:drool:

but dividing the book in categories and using
it like a sort of portfolio seems to me not so good IMHO

simply it must collect the best of Lw works out there,
users profiles. and eventually the techniques used to
make the image.

that's only my opinion indeed.:)

sidewing
07-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Nemoid,

Think your thoughts are very good.

Especially in regards to LW8 and interviews or success stories of people like Protos (William Vaughan).

We definately want to include bio's.

The catagories you mentioned might work. My only thought was to only include the best of the best and to only focus on work that has been used for customers (published in some kind) - rather then showing everything. However, we could ofcourse still put it in under different titles.

We will see how many people are interested and sent in images.
Also, I will see how much support we get from Newtek.

Thanks again!

Nemoid
07-14-2003, 06:58 PM
Hope Newtek will give to you a great support.
i think that everything wich can make good to
a software lke Lw is welcome:thumbsup:

interviews are the best for me, expecially if
they talk about techniques and methods.

bios too, and they can be used also from companies
if tey need and want to hire someone or are in
some way interested in someone work.

the fact if a work has been published or not is not
fundamental IMHO. maybe also can involve some rights
problem

however, be sure of making a limited printed edition
like that of exposŤ!!:drool: it gives to your book an "aura"
wich shows the high level of the software and its users.

aurora
07-14-2003, 07:06 PM
I have a quick question. What exactly do you expect under the medical cat? I have a ton of work that focuses on epidemiology, micobiology, molecularbiology type of stuff. Does this qualify?

sidewing
07-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Nemoid,
First of all, thanks for all your positive feeback and pro-active thinking!
I contacted Newtek and Proton (William Vaughan) said that he would help. Methods, some techniques and success stories would be a very helpful addition to the book.

Rights: All rights will remain the artists unless they have signed a specific contract with a company. When sending in the final, a small contract will be signed between the artist and VG.

It will indeed be a limited print. More expensive but definately worth it.

Aurora,
Would love to see some of those renders. All of the once you mentioned are fine. This catagory shows the real power of 3D - to create the invisible in full color!

Thanks for the people who sent in their images! They look great!

John

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.