PDA

View Full Version : why no smooth shading in games?

arquebus
04-15-2009, 02:59 AM
In most every 3D app you have a realtime smooth shading option in the modeling viewports and I can never figure out why you dont see that in video games. Admittedly this kind of vertex shading doesnt work on everything like hard edged/boxy shapes. But on organic things like faces its awesome. Why is this kind of shader not used in games?

mister3d
04-15-2009, 04:06 AM
In most every 3D app you have a realtime smooth shading option in the modeling viewports and I can never figure out why you dont see that in video games. Admittedly this kind of vertex shading doesnt work on everything like hard edged/boxy shapes. But on organic things like faces its awesome. Why is this kind of shader not used in games?

There is a smooth shading in games, almost in every game I saw. The last time I saw vertex shading was back in 2000 year on PS1 games. Moreover normal maps allow for mimicing very complex surfaces based on maps. Maybe I just didn't get the point of what you are trying to say. Any examples?

CHRiTTeR
04-15-2009, 04:50 AM
huh?! Games are smoothed, unless choosen to be non smoothed for artistic reasons

arquebus
04-15-2009, 05:25 AM
mister3d, CHRiTTeR- Thanks for the response, Im very surprised to hear that, there are some games where the character models in games look really facety compared to how such a low poly character would look smoothed in a viewport of a 3D app. Off the top of my head, the character models in Fall of Max Paine looked really bad, compared to how smooth the characters in HL2 looked.

Any examples?
Just my luck my gaming rig is on the fritz when you ask that. I'll try to post a screenshot in the next week or two.

DrZenith
05-14-2009, 11:50 AM
mister3d, CHRiTTeR- Thanks for the response, Im very surprised to hear that, there are some games where the character models in games look really facety compared to how such a low poly character would look smoothed in a viewport of a 3D app. Off the top of my head, the character models in Fall of Max Paine looked really bad, compared to how smooth the characters in HL2 looked.

Just my luck my gaming rig is on the fritz when you ask that. I'll try to post a screenshot in the next week or two.

Half Life 2? Max Payne? You're talking about games that are from 03 and 04. You need to check out Crysis, and even that is going on 2 years old now. Modern games look incredible, Crysis borders on photo-realism (almost).

andreasng
05-19-2009, 01:36 PM
all the way back to lba smoothing was used. I seriously dont remember unsmoothed polys in games any longer. Right off the top, i'd say the only faceted polys i remember is virtua fighter

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2009, 01:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.