PDA

View Full Version : the JAWS effect

Pages : [1] 2

DAZZAN
04-15-2009, 12:12 AM
the JAWS effect is a short live action fan film sequence codenamed: Quints Song

It is set on a calm ocean,on an a almost cloudless moonlit night near Amity.

A small boat is carrying a father and son,they went out with other boats including the orca that day,looking for the shark that killed Alex Kitner.they had no luck,and have run out of chum,which the boy has been gutting & mincing all day.
They are seated in fish blood,seeping through the bottom of the boat, and suddenly the boat gets bumped.

The father stops rowing,and looks out.

A barrel pops up on the surface about a hundred yards in front of the boat.

It starts being towed towards the boat.

(This is where Quints song start),and as the barrel disappear
under the little boat.
The father grabs his rifle ,looks at his son,as the song finishes,and silence ensues.

The Shark and barrel breach in front of him.the fish rises up,
rolls over, opens its jaws and takes the father,destroying the
little boat.It sends the son into the water.

As the boy struggles at the surface he hears a few short screams
from his father.He turns to swim towards the wrecked boat,but his way is blocked
by the barrel in front of him,as the boy starts to scream,he is almost gently lifted out of the sea and swallowed into the mouth of the great fish.which disappears beneath the surface.

end
( story has been updated as of 2010 )

I need a small crew to make this dream happen,its easy to say that ive been a fan of Jaws for years,and great whites even longer.
But the reason ive put this up is that i can no longer think that i can do this alone,and also wanting to do a 3d great white for years,and i think ive got pretty far,i had a break through on the shark design a few years ago.I wrote a fan email to the guys who made the airjaws series ,and told them that it was my intention to make the best 3d great white out there and animated,and the jaws effect idea,and they were very kind to me,but said the detail i was asking for,they never got that bloody close to them.So i thought that was that,but i got a email from the shark headquarters of the world,the Natal Shark Board!
They said what do i need!
Well i actually went to town! close ups of teeth,skin,cuts,scrapes,you name it, i listed it.
They emailed me back saying they see what they could do,and it might be a while as the sharks are getting rarer,and they have to be caught in the nets,and dead,they release of course those sharks they find!
So i waited & waited ,the after 8 months i got a cd sized package from south africas Natal shark board!.
They had 2 great whites caught and died in the nets,and they then 8 guys pulled these 2 of the rarest sharks out of the freezer,and took the photos that i asked.I nearly cried.I was one very lucky guy!and the only one outside of the natal shark board,with these cool pictures ,and would help a 3d artist(s) build a realistic great white BRUCE

So i worked on them building the shark,but my working knowledge of maya and z brush only got me frustrated,so thats when i thought about help,and the main thing is not the work ive done,but getting the work finished!

So im going to include some of the pictures up to what my upload can take,and then i hope i can get some crew that would help me sail until the end.

the next post will be my efforts of the shark i have made.and what technically i am after.

All Jaws puns gratefully accepted by the way,i am not without humour!

and any help that might be offered will be gratefully accepted too!

regards

DAZZ

DAZZAN
04-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Please forgive my ignorance of the slight quashing of the shark jpegs pictures.im not at all versed at simple ps actions!

Which is 1 part of my problem,

I need a team to start from scratch.

I would like to be team leader or ships captain,and get my hands dirty do the mundane and boreing,or step in to a needed position if asked(proberbly all ,but who knows).

A Box modeler & Z brusher or mudbox who can take my faulty male base and either start from scratch or retopolize a useable basemesh ready for animation.

Upper and lower teeth.

Upper Jaws and lower.

The famous 3 barrels & tracking marker of Mr Hoopers.& ropes.

A texture artist.

A Lighting artists

A useable uv map thats clear,mines so dense.

A rigger:The mouth at full stretch,the eye roll,and the fatty upper jaws to outside of mouth slide,when biteing down.

I guess that the body bite shake,that starts at the mouth and rolls down the body

A animator: Full Breach and 3/4 head/jaws attack

And in my opinion,where i fell down. the dynamics artist.

A background artist for sky.

And post production.

I do not for one moment take lightly any of the time given for help or advice,or anyone who is employed in the industry reading this at the begining placeing a huge slap in the face of reality,as i would go a head and spend money filming the live action for the shoot,down the line.

I wish to have a animatic from start to finish,before a penny is spent.

I have maya 2008 student and access to z brush 3.1,

This is a totally non profit fan film for fun,anyone who works on building the Jaws effect ,gets the scene files to work with.

If this goes no where,or stops before getting going without any help given i understand,i wish to give out my pictures of the 2 great whites,to those who are interested.So if this thread is deleted please pm me,as i feel the effort the south african chaps did deserves something to be made.

i have not thought of everything ,but its a start,maybe if this gets going ,ill see if we can get some great white pro feedback from south africa.

Well heres the male ive done, id like to see rebuilt.
I have a slightly better detailed female,but BRUCE is male.

The Orca is still at queyside ready to sail.

Oh and Quints song is the one given after the indianapolis speech in the film.

Ill post the lyrics.

regards

dazz

DAZZAN
04-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Hello,sorry i have not posted,upgraded from my old modem as was having driver problems,and no connection,so upgraded to my spanking new wifi router.
Had fun modeling the barrels and Hoopers transmitter.

Thanks for the pms.

Gonna keep going,upping a cool white pic.

regards

dazz

Clanger
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
This looks like fun, I wouldn't mind helping a bit. I could texture up those barrels for you and see how we go from there.

Airflow
04-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Get me some of them images and Ill do the shark.

MrMJKnight
04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm up for the project.

I would like the pleasure of animating, I can also texture and model if needed.

Only problem is I'm just finishing up a Uni course, so I'll be busy for 4 weeks. When that is over, I'm all yours =)

DAZZAN
04-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Welcome aboard guys,and all english guys at the moment!

Its nice to have you.

CLANGER :The barrels will be with you shortly,thanks

Airflow: Well, i did start on reoptimized my white at the weekend.but i will stop now.

Bruce the shark is in 5 pieces really,Body,Upper / Lower Jaws ,Teeth, & eyes !

i guess you mean start from scratch on the modeling the body only.

Ive optimized the pictures for u,so i guess your up for depending on who you believe ,Quint in at 25 feet 3 tones,and Hooper ,two and a half tons at 24 feet.Ill look for your email and ill send my screwed up, but looks good, but cannot animate shark,as i spent about 2 years making for the shape,please use as a ref or chuck in the bin.Of all the 3d whites ive seen they all have no thickness in the gills,but a white does!
thats it.On its way and thanks.If your stuck i have other photos ive collected over the years.Benchley said the shark was old and ready to die,if he stopped moving it would drop to the oceon floor,as it did in the end of the book.

can u let me know if when the base model is finished,can others on cgtalk work on it in zbrush or mudbox?

As i have a number of close up pictures of the texture skin of the great whites perfect for making it ultra real,Z brush mudbox or bump map.

MrMJKnight: thanks,well we need to get the parts and i need to do a animatic,so the timeing might be right on.So come back in and we might have some barrels for u first.Then Bruce.Do you also have any dynamics expieriance included in animation?

I wish to thank you all,i am here to help you and guide you,and take on your ideas.

The shark live action is going to be shot on a pro camera with a high resolution,and i am just putting prices together bit by bit,and i ve got to build a special rigged hear boat,for the shoot against a green screen studio backdrop,but i need it all in the animatic first and see some Bruce dynamic tests,

Still room for other people aboard & other things to do.I also want to add the marker buoy that chrissie watkins holds onto at the begining of jaws.

best wishes

dazz

another cool pic attached!

AnthonyThompson
04-29-2009, 04:50 AM
Do you still need a rigger send me an email.... and I'll help you guys out

leeanthonythompson@gmail

DAZZAN
04-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Yes we are desperate for the shark to be rigged,for the main breach,and the head and dorsal ,when the shark takes the boy,also tail and dorsal movement seen from surface as the shark takes the father,as soon as the main base mesh and upper lower jaws finished it ts good to go,so keep a look out,and welcome aboard.
I am sending this by mobile,as my home phone is down,and bt say they will fix it asap but stressed it could be tommorow latest.just when I need it up,sorry about that!I'm getting on with the animatic.
" here's to swimming with bow legged woman'
Dazz out

AnthonyThompson
04-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Great! just send the file to leeanthonythompson@gmail and hopefully we talk more. I'm in

Airflow
04-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Ill be modelling, uving, sculpting and texturing it from scratch. But Illl need those images right away. I got a 2 week window. So if you can send them over it be cool.

DAZZAN
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
I'll try my best to get them over to ight, I'm at btw mercy with my home phone
Dazz

DAZZAN
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Ok i sent the reference pictures and my old GWS mesh for Ref and textures to Airflow,i hope they went over ok,as i had problems with my internet this week.Best of luck to Airflow.

If anyone else still wants to model a little,Quints harpoon arrowtips the 3 that impact on Bruce.

Its a quick job,but important.

heres the link

http://www.buzzybean.com/html/jaws_kiszka_pg1.html

ill be working on script 1st at the weekend,and putting it up after ive finished,then storyboards and animatic.

dazzan

lightcache
05-01-2009, 10:35 PM
if you need any tracking done, ide be happy to help.

DAZZAN
05-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Tracking will be needed on most of the shots,its a big job. Thanks for coming on board.

Heres another pic,this time a real breach of south Africa,this will be the kind of thing that we want Bruce to do,but at night.

dazzan

if you need any tracking done, ide be happy to help.

Airflow
05-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Looks impressive, is he gonna do this under the boat or jump up onto it like in the film?

DAZZAN
05-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I am hopeing he will explode from the ocean barrels first then rise up opening and closing his mouth for a few test bites as GWS s do then he takes the father in his mouth,and the weight of the shark will break up the boat on impact,sending the son into the air as well.

Father`s in the water,son `s in the water,shark`s in the water ....our shark!

Storyboards gonna tell this one nicely i think,i have been pm `d by a artist with intrest in doing them.

all the best

Dazz

AnthonyThompson
05-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Do we still need someone to make a harpoon? I can do a harpoon... does it matter the size etc.....

DAZZAN
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes please. i saw i saw it as about a foot in length give or take,but we can resize it accordingly.its in the link given,i know its not much but at least it almost gives a side view.The three arrows will be into Bruce at the time of the attack so although we wont see the tips,i think for a portfolio and credit, it would be nice for you to construct it whole.We will duplicate the one for three.
We will have fun later about where we need to place them exactly.

Thanks it might be small but it will be in every frame with Bruce in,also if you got the 30th anniversary dvd,Quint is seen loading it,before fireing into Bruce.

Regards

Dazz

Darkeyesuk2000
05-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Dazzan its about time you shared this shark project,but why did not you mention your Bava(british amatuer video) award,best visual effects for Self-destruct,lighting and make-up,might as well use if you won it ..ok 1992-3 but it beat all the others!

Ill help out on post.

Cant believe you came off Tinnman after all those years working on it,well this is the project for you.
Your love for Great Whites and Jaws.Its gonna be fun.
All the best

And remember "Shoot For The Edit". lol

DAZZAN
05-04-2009, 08:33 PM
You know its always great having you around mate,massive asset to the team,thanks for the info,i should have said something but you know me!

Biggest thanks

and yeah its gonna be hard work, but a lot of fun!

daz

Dazzan its about time you shared this shark project,but why did not you mention your Bava(british amatuer video) award,best visual effects for Self-destruct,lighting and make-up,might as well use if you won it ..ok 1992-3 but it beat all the others!

Ill help out on post.

Cant believe you came off Tinnman after all those years working on it,well this is the project for you.
Your love for Great Whites and Jaws.Its gonna be fun.
All the best

And remember "Shoot For The Edit". lol

RawSunlight
05-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi Darran,

Finally tracked you down.

Sign me up for the storyboards and the sky matte if that hasn't gone yet.

Cheers buddy, talk soon
Herms

Airflow
05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Will have somthing to post on the shark tomorrow night.

DAZZAN
05-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Well i have some good news also,on our little team is now two extra special members of theJaws effect crew!

Chris and Monique Fallows they are world renown Great White Shark experts,and they put me in touch with the Natal Shark Board which sent me those fantastic close up pictures of the Great Whites.

Here is some of their work

DISCOVERY CHANNEL: Air jaws 1&2
THE BBC: Planet Earth: Great White Shark segment
National geographic: JAWS 25 year anniversary
60 minutes with Bob Simon
Their cool website is : http://www.apexpredators.com

Now i gave Airflow my copy of Air Jaws 1&2,so now we have the experts on hand,as i have asked them to help the artists build and animate Bruce,and anything else Great White Related.

So i hope this gives us all a boost and creativity sharp.

so i will be posting there emails and thoughts on our project.

Now im going to get back to the script,will be posting soon.

dazz

Ps, Herman your portfolio is amazing,the storyboards are yours, so is the sky!

Better get my busker browns in gear before they get kicked!

DAZZAN
05-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Airflow great news,cant wait!

Great news above, hey!

Will have somthing to post on the shark tomorrow night.

Airflow
05-06-2009, 09:31 PM
First post on the shark.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sh1.jpg

Got a ways to go yet tho.

MrMJKnight
05-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Dazza, cheers for that info.

Just been looking at those Air jaws 1 & 2 DVD you gave us, very handy. I've been studying them for a while today. Will be watching them on a regular basis. Hopefully I will watch it that much I will start acting like a greatwhite =P

Can't wait to get animating.

Also, if there is any props and such you need modelling or texturing, please let me know!

Airflow, great start on the shark. A way to go indeed, but this will surely look fantastic in the end. Keep up the good work!

DAZZAN
05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Airflow a nice beginning,can you up the same picture without the water background please.

Id love to see just a mudbox white or clay colour on the fish! if it is mudbox yet, or still inside max?

Nice,keep going

dazz

First post on the shark.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sh1.jpg

Got a ways to go yet tho.

DAZZAN
05-06-2009, 10:52 PM
A big one to model is the famous bell buoy that chrissy holds onto in the famous first attack in jaws.

but i dont have a great pic.

its small but its there.

Have a go or please read my note below!

Its gonna be in the script.

Devour Air Jaws its amazing,and just up our street,remember im gonna be sending apexpredators you work for feedback,so it sounds like your in a feeding frenzy!

DONT do the modeling if its gonna interrupt your game,i need your best game for animation,so id rather you study,study,study!

Good .....Keep it up!

Have a think,dont overstretch !

Let me know,we are not going to rush,lets play a long game,less mistakes.

thanks

dazz

Dazza, cheers for that info.

Just been looking at those Air jaws 1 & 2 DVD you gave us, very handy. I've been studying them for a while today. Will be watching them on a regular basis. Hopefully I will watch it that much I will start acting like a greatwhite =P

Can't wait to get animating.

Also, if there is any props and such you need modelling or texturing, please let me know!

Airflow, great start on the shark. A way to go indeed, but this will surely look fantastic in the end. Keep up the good work!

MrMJKnight
05-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Cheers, I'll get ahold of the movie soon as possible and try and find some good references to work from. Before the shark model is done, I will create a rig to practice with for movement.

I'll keep you updated soon as I've got to that point, will give you some test movements.

AnthonyThompson
05-07-2009, 03:14 AM
When the shark is done all starting rigging it.. just email it to leeanthonythompson@gmail

Airflow
05-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Yeah Its still in max, I can do just standard clay renders from here on in, what I usually do is match an image, hence the lights. It helps with forms.
As for the rigging, I think its not gonna be a straight forward thing.
There is not going to be one shark rig. We will be doing this like they do in production so we will prolly have 3 different rigs. One for standard under water movement, one for close up biting and rolling and one for collision and dynamics. So the first would be the simplest to rig, the other two would be far more difficult. I have worked out some ideas for the floating upper jaw but stuff needs to be tested out first. The collison will only come from propper muscle dynamics and should be the last thing we tackle in the rigging pipe as it could get pretty heavy with that amount of muscle to give a realistic effect.
As for whats out there for max, three 3rd party muscle solutions (skinfx, ACT and Hercules), and two solutions I can do in 3dsmax itself for dynamic soft bodies/muscle sim. In Maya there is the standard muscles and one other 3rd party tool.
For the initial test were going to just have the biting motion and jaw articulation.
Anthony, Ive seen you can do standard maya muscle sim, it would be cool to see some tests of somthing more refined, a fish skeleton and some dense muscle strands on one side with some sudden and slight motions. It will give us a benchmark to try and pass with other solutions. The rest of the rigging will come after the proof of concept.
But thats getting a bit ahead of us, the plan is to have a proof of concept for the shark bite.
If thats good and the look dev on the beastie is good we go ahead with the rest of the project, as it would be done if this was a film production.
Ill have a base mesh for the animatic by tomorrow.

AnthonyThompson
05-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Hows this for a harpoon

DAZZAN
05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Lee,i always thought that Quints shipmate,that old man ,was like Blades mate Whistler,he made all of Quints weapons on a cnc lathe machine somwhere in quints workshop,I had a go at the bolt a while ago and only got one end done,now if you add my end to your tips,i think we are only going to have to tweak.

So i know you have maya so i am going to send you my half ,but also my great white shark.You can place it and i think it will give your brain some thinking action when it comes to rigging Bruce.

You also might see how my heart rules my head when it comes to modeling.

And thinking about your tip end,we need it for Airflow when he starts to ultra detail,as the bolt would leave its mark on the sharks skin and exposed flesh on impact.

Expect a email,i`m doing it now.

regards

Dazz

Airflow
05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Nice start on the harpoon tips, if you look at the pics you will see that here is only one symetrical tip, the other two have thinner longer lower blades, and it looks like the shaft is welded to the blade, so its more like two components instead of one smooth one.
If your any good ay uving, it be great to have them unwrapped when your done. Its gonna be easier now as the should be seperate blades.

http://www.buzzybean.com/jaws/jaws_kiszka/kiszka_harpoongun.jpg

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-4716aa111196c-Jaws+(1975).jpeg

the last ones are replicas and I think the lower blades should be much longer.

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-4716a9ef68382-Jaws+(1975).jpeg

some other stuff I found

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-4718364bb8359-Jaws+(1975).jpeg

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-4718364c2eaa1-Jaws+(1975).jpeg

Airflow
05-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Lil update
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sh2.jpg

DAZZAN
05-07-2009, 09:02 PM
"But I'm telling you, and I'm telling everybody at this table that that's a shark! And I know what a shark looks like, because I've seen one up close." (Martin Brody Jaws 2)

Think the quote stands for me.

You` ve been studying!

Ps, its the only one of a few quotes in Jaws 2 i like,dont ask me about 3 or 4!

I`d only roll my eyes like a Great White.

dazz

AnthonyThompson
05-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the feed back I changed the harpoon I hope this looks better all unwrap it and try to texture it later.

MrMJKnight
05-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi AnthonyThompson,

I've been studying the Harpoon's based from the references of the Movie and the Display.
It appears that the one in the Display differs from the movie's one, I don't know why. Perhaps they lost them and used similar ones.

I've done a few sketches based on them both, I hope this helps.

http://martinjknight.com/harpoon_ref.jpg

Judging from what I've been looking at, the bottom Harpoon is what you want to mimmic.

Please stay away from smoothing the mesh because it makes the edges seem soft, we want hard edges.

The harpoon should be constructed in 4 parts I think.

- Body
- Ring
- Spikey thing
- Spikey thing that pops out.

DAZZAN
05-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Well done Shipmate!,

Anthony i could not see the hole where the rope is tied onto the harpoon,that goes to the barrel,good little diagram MJK,hope the aquarium visit went well,try not to use the flash on the camera or you`ll have the inferior Deep Blue Seaon your hands,the dont like it.ask the divers at the begining of Jaws 2!
now some jaws news on THE SHARK IS NOT WORKING doc just had its premiere in usa.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41020

And im sorry that this is late but also cool reference.Monterey Bay had the first Great White Shark in its Huge aquarium in America, since 2006 until its released it resided there.Now also it had a live feed camera beaming pictures of the White that i had on the top right hand corner as i built my model GWS>Every 3 mins it would swim past the camera ,one way, then the other.
They are waiting on another,and they have archive footage on the site(MJK)

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/whiteshark/

Dazz out
Hi AnthonyThompson,

I've been studying the Harpoon's based from the references of the Movie and the Display.
It appears that the one in the Display differs from the movie's one, I don't know why. Perhaps they lost them and used similar ones.

I've done a few sketches based on them both, I hope this helps.

http://martinjknight.com/harpoon_ref.jpg

Judging from what I've been looking at, the bottom Harpoon is what you want to mimmic.

Please stay away from smoothing the mesh because it makes the edges seem soft, we want hard edges.

The harpoon should be constructed in 4 parts I think.

- Body
- Ring
- Spikey thing
- Spikey thing that pops out.

AnthonyThompson
05-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Here is a new updated picture. Hows this picture =)

MrMJKnight
05-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Hi Anthony, please pay closer attention to the object reference. =)

The spikes are not 90degrees away from eachother, in the reference they are either side. 180degrees to be exact.

Both spikes are exactly the same shape, except one hangs down...

I've wondered if the other side adjusts as well, which I imagine it does. Reason why it is still in that position is because of gravity. I believe that once it enters the body, it extends.
The same applies to the dangling one, it HAS to be loose for it to enter the body. The spike contracts and then expands when pulled open.

So build it in parts like I said, so you have full control.

The pointy bit, it's too angular.
http://martinjknight.com/harpoon_ref2.jpg

And the new ring bit you built needs to be a ring, so it's around the tube.

Have a look at this image.
Where he is holding the spear, you'll notice the brass bit is a ring around the steel tube.
So you are able to see the inside of the tube. Which the tube is mounted on to the gun.
And the rope is attached to the ring.

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-4716a9ef68382-Jaws+%281975%29.jpeg

AnthonyThompson
05-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Ok I've worked on the harpoon some more as shown in the pictures. I show images don't show the tips having blades on them so i didn't put them on if you would like me to I can add them. I'll try it texture too.

I also added a set driven key to move the blades up and down as it fires.

Hopefully 3rd times a charm

Airflow
05-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Were not gonna fire the harpoon, they will all ready be stuck in him. Thats great what you did with the new version, send the model in obj fomat to Dazzan.

Airflow
05-10-2009, 04:06 AM
Update

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sh5.jpg

DAZZAN
05-10-2009, 08:58 AM
4 am......well you r in the zone dude,cant be long to Final Base.

When u got the time show us the quad lines as well!

As you got perfect Quads ,he can be tweaked to perfection.

Dazz

Update

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sh5.jpg

AnthonyThompson
05-10-2009, 10:59 AM
the shark is really starting to come together Nice job =)

Airflow
05-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Modeling for the base shark is done. I need to just do the jaws and teeth now.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sh6.jpg

DAZZAN
05-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Robert, is this th last update of the base?

Im looking for the claspers,but cant see them.Are you going to extend out in Mudbox?

nice though,interested to know with good quads how much can mudbox go up in polygons!

Show a wire,it would look nice!

Well done.

Modeling for the base shark is done. I need to just do the jaws and teeth now.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sh6.jpg

AnthonyThompson
05-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Robert,

I sent the obj file to Dazz, Please let me know if you need anything else.

DAZZAN
05-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Got it thanks,Will let you know very shortly.

regards

dazz

Robert,

Airflow
05-11-2009, 02:58 PM
More renders.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sh8.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sh9.jpg

DAZZAN
05-11-2009, 11:28 PM
hi lee,

ive sent you a email with instructions to your mail,and the shark tail obj.

I like to see a muscle rig sim with ripple and flex,and any controls,it will give me an idea on where to go on the main body,jaws.

We can worry about the human rigs later.

Regards

Dazz

Robert,

AnthonyThompson
05-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Hey dazz I'm having some issues with the OBJ file I'm getting some weird issues when I import it to make a long problem somewhat shorter I've gotten errors like this $bufferName = "file -import -type \"OBJ\" -gr -rpr \"grp\" -options \"mo=1\" \"C:/your/file/path/" +$i +".obj\"";

And I'm also getting some issues when I try to rotate around in any view the fish tale will also partly disappear when I rotate around the screen.
I provided screen shoots I was doing some reading .

I was wondering could I get in an fbx file format that's supported by Maya and max.

Or if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

I emailed you the attachments pics personality because they wont fit on the thred feel free to send them to airflow if he has any ideas...

--Anthony

DAZZAN
05-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi lee ,yeah for some reason i cant see the object in maya either,so i hope robert reads this and send s me a fbx.Im out tonight with the storyboard artist.so i wont be around until morrow.

Thanks for your mail.

regard

dazz

Hey dazz I'm having some issues with the OBJ file I'm getting some weird issues when I import it to make a long problem somewhat shorter I've gotten errors like this $bufferName = "file -import -type \"OBJ\" -gr -rpr \"grp\" -options \"mo=1\" \"C:/your/file/path/" +$i +".obj\"";

And I'm also getting some issues when I try to rotate around in any view the fish tale will also partly disappear when I rotate around the screen.
I provided screen shoots I was doing some reading .

I was wondering could I get in an fbx file format that's supported by Maya and max.

Or if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

I emailed you the attachments pics personality because they wont fit on the thred feel free to send them to airflow if he has any ideas...

--Anthony

Airflow
05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Sent 2 more, should work.

AnthonyThompson
05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Cool, all be awaiting the file Guys. No rush take your time.

DAZZAN
05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Ok all TAIL sorted and emails sent to Robert and Lee.

Just to let you guys know ,had a great meet with Herman on the storyboards.and he will be posting as soon ashes ready,but i think i saw a background detail image for a object.I think it was fantastic.

Just the kind of details we need.

Hope he posts it in the next few days.

All the best

Dazz

Airflow
05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Its not vue is it, rolls eyes.

DAZZAN
05-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Now dont go getting cynical old boy .LOL

Funny enough , its not About vue,so dont worry,and i think hes got a better way than Vue for the cloud design,it his specialality .Its about the little details to make the project stand out

Remember,i buy the coffees, you guys fight about software,but i think you might have an allie in Herman.

Lets see what comes up!

soon i hope.

will probably have another session on storyboards at weekend.

dazz

Its not vue is it, rolls eyes.

AnthonyThompson
05-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Ok can you send me the new fixed tail model when you get a chance guys =)

So i can see what I can come up with... dazz all been in touch with so so we can talk more about the muscle structure of how sharks move.

DAZZAN
05-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Hi Lee I did send it yesterday,when i answered Robert,but ive sent it again ,and ive checked its gone into my sent mail ,and the attachment is a rar file.
so let us know asap.

.ma plus .obj

dazz

Ok can you send me the new fixed tail model when you get a chance guys =)

So i can see what I can come up with... dazz all been in touch with so so we can talk more about the muscle structure of how sharks move.

RawSunlight
05-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi gents,

Some excellent progress on the shark; can't wait to see it textured!
Here's some bits I've been working on.

The Jaws logo might look better/ more poignant in the red letters version of the logo.

If we decide to go silly with the seagull, I can up the res and paint in feather filament details.
If we want to show it off in some way, I'll do the top of the body too, but for now, because we're only going to see them circling overhead, I've just left it to the underside.

Darran, the Bad Fish Production is a rough and the jaws logo a 1st version - let me know if you want any changes.

I have all these gfx in much higher res than shown here, so when the time comes we should be good for whatever res you want to go tohttp://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1242287732_large.jpghttp://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1242287424_large.jpg http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1242287224_large.jpg

RawSunlight
05-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey Darran,

looking at your new avatar, I see I need to work on the tooth some more, especially the root. Could you send me the pic you have there, or anything that might improve what I've done?

Thnx buddy

DAZZAN
05-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Herman love the seagull,and i will be sending my avatar,and another pic,plus my ideas for a tighter BAD FISH!,It will also help with the JAWS Logo,asap.
Look forward to the boards!

Thanks for this .

Very nice

Dazz

Hey Darran,

looking at your new avatar, I see I need to work on the tooth some more, especially the root. Could you send me the pic you have there, or anything that might improve what I've done?

Thnx buddy

Clanger
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi, guys

Finally had a small amount of time to get started and all I wanted to do to the barrel is a little geometry modification before UVing and texturing but after importing the obj in Max and making any sort of change the smoothing blows up and Max 2010 becomes unstable, I can't find any errors in the mesh, STL checks out fine.

The Barrel is easy enough to build from scratch but this simple translation from Maya to Max shouldn't cause any problems?

Ilive
05-14-2009, 04:18 PM
You should put the shark on a plane and you'll get a ton of collabers.

Airflow
05-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok my take on it is, for the pr stuff we should have the poster of the shark coming up to either get the boat that were gonna use or the little boy. I think for the actual opening credits, the bad fish logo, and animated scratchmarks with sound effect,and then the JAWS logo with shark tooth.
Id say build the barrel from scratch, its only one.
The art all looks nice btw, good job.
Cant wait to see the barrel.

RawSunlight
05-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Sounds good!

Will throw round sketches for promo posters for thoughts after Dazzan and I get the boards nailed...
Will finish the the Jaws logo/tooth and Bad Fish logo tonite.

Cheers
H

Darkeyesuk2000
05-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Great work on the seagull RawSunLight, Read the script u sent me Dazza, I Like it.
Cant wait to see the storyboards, then we will be rocking.
Good work folks lets go make some history!

DAZZAN
05-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Ok my take on it is, for the pr stuff we should have the poster of the shark coming up to either get the boat that were gonna use or the little boy. I think for the actual opening credits, the bad fish logo, and animated scratchmarks with sound effect,and then the JAWS logo with shark tooth.
Id say build the barrel from scratch, its only one.
The art all looks nice btw, good job.
Cant wait to see the barrel.

I agree with you 100% on the poster for the boat , man & boy.Also the boy and shark.

Bad fish logo: First against black then kick in the sound against blackboard,then logo.

Its a statement of intent from us to the fans.They will get it as soon as they hear that sound,it will also draw everyones attention to where we want it....the screen.

Darkeyesuk2000: Script of course is 1st draft,glad you like it,but its gonna get even better for the second,which ill work on in UK shark capital Cornwall, and holiday in a week!

We all now know its the one barrel,not three(my artistic licence & rendering times got the better of me,also the fans would roast me for the error),the first fired into Bruce,with the famous transmitter attached by Hooper! we know it disappears under the water,then reappears at the end of the famous USS Indianapolis to attack the Orca.
This is our time frame in between these events, when our attack takes place.

Thanks to all of the crew so far,its going so well.

This crew is ready to sail,fair winds and stormy seas ahead !
We shall catch a rainbow to carry us safely home.

Dazzan

AnthonyThompson
05-15-2009, 04:17 AM
I've been busy guys. I just looked at the tail and it should work now in Maya all be messing with it later on..... Thanks Dazz

RawSunlight
05-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Have some versions of the logos.

Let me know if any of them appeal and I'll tweak & up any details for final res.
Will animate the nail marks down the board and add the sound-fx once we're agreed on the Bad Fish Logo.

Very exciting :)

Cheers gang
H

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1242476134_medium.jpg

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1242474986_large.jpg

DAZZAN
05-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Hello, Herman thanks for this.

Well I like both number twos, Bad Fish stands out in red,ans only needs tweeking as we go along,i can hear the sound fx working on this.

Number two on the Jaws logo,with the other letters in 3d,perhaps we can disintergrate logo into the scene where the trail of chum starts,that leads to the boat.(do like the blooded tooth though).

Let the others have a say and we will do a count who likes what with their reasons for it.

Don`t know if the blackboard should be replaced with logo against just black,with chalk borders around it.

Well, we can test the water as we go.

MJK :Martin got a great pic of the boey ill send you it.

Great stuff!

next the storyboards!

DAZ

hmmmn.

Have some versions of the logos.

Let me know if any of them appeal and I'll tweak & up any details for final res.
Will animate the nail marks down the board and add the sound-fx once we're agreed on the Bad Fish Logo.

Very exciting :)

Cheers gang
H

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1242476134_medium.jpg

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1242474986_large.jpg

RawSunlight
05-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Will do the blue gradient lettering in 3D with the bloody tooth from #3

Can do the Bad Fish chalk on black bckgrnd if you want, (even though film ref is a green board? ;) How about doing some of the sharks teeth/ mouth and man in a bit of red too?
:)

cheers
H

DAZZAN
05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Ok with the Jaws Logo from 3 with me,in 3d.

I think the Jaws of the Shark Should be the same colour ,but the man/boy would punch out more in Red.Also I think it would work on the chalkboard background or the black background.

On the two main posters for later the Jaws Logo underwriting both posters,just like the original did in 1975.That would look very cool.

Dazz

Will do the blue gradient lettering in 3D with the bloody tooth from #3

Can do the Bad Fish chalk on black bckgrnd if you want, (even though film ref is a green board? ;) How about doing some of the sharks teeth/ mouth and man in a bit of red too?

cheers
H

Omniom
05-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi

I am just swimming by........and already gone..........but did not see any bite marks on the lower belly of the S letter for example ? Nice project.http://www.totalformat.com/gallery/data/4637/thumbs/fish_smiley_20.gif (http://www.totalformat.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/110162)

AnthonyThompson
05-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Hey Dazz got busy all last week and I'll have something later you this week on the tail.
Wanted to give you guys and update. Didn't want you to think I forgot.

I opened the Model in Maya its working fine now.

---Its starting to come along.

DAZZAN
05-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey no worries we`ve all got other things on,at least we all come back in,that`s the main thing.
Thanks for the update.

Remember when it comes down to final render size and ill push the button to render,thats when we might be waiting..LOL

Ive got a funny feeling its going to be worth the wait!

regards

daz

Hey Dazz got busy all last week and I'll have something later you this week on the tail.
Wanted to give you guys and update. Didn't want you to think I forgot.

I opened the Model in Maya its working fine now.

---Its starting to come along.

RawSunlight
05-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Morning guys,

Looking forward to seeing the big beastie in motion!

Here's some more logo variants...hopefully close to closing in on the final ones now...

3 stages of the bad fish opener. If we like then I'll go ahead and animate and add sfx
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1242730594_medium.jpg

For our Jaws logo, really wasn't keen on #2 as a straight 3D, too flat and dull, so ended up adding a rough shark shadow on the logo, and farting about to do a (personally) slightly more interesting version with #3...but we might be straying out of 'authenticity' with that one
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1242730280_large.jpg

Airflow
05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Im really liking the last one. I say go ahead for the bad fish, just try to make the chalk fade out a bit on the scratches, there would be the scratch, then it goes through the chalk, picking up some before it fades off.

I did some tweaks on the shark, did a turnaround animation and started the mudbox work.
Have somthing to show later on tonight.

DAZZAN
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah they are coming together.

Let me know by mail about the turnaround to send over to apex,when you get the time.

Best of luck in mudbox,I know its gonna look amazing!

dazz

Im really liking the last one. I say go ahead for the bad fish, just try to make the chalk fade out a bit on the scratches, there would be the scratch, then it goes through the chalk, picking up some before it fades off.

I did some tweaks on the shark, did a turnaround animation and started the mudbox work.
Have somthing to show later on tonight.

Airflow
05-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Yeah, having wacom driver probs, its screwing up my pressure sensitivity in mud and photoshop.

Airflow
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Update :)
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/bruce2.jpg

RawSunlight
05-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Looking good!!! ...smell the fear.
Question though, are we going to match mudbox detailing to the SA hi-res GWS textures?
Sorry if that's a stupid question :)

DAZZAN
05-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi Robert

well he`s coming together isnt he.

Your work flow seems to be a lot different than mine,do you work on a bit of everything first,then bit by bit with each level of detail.I tended to go section by section with details.

Which stage are you at,the only crits ive got is the eye not being round enough and the gills,but i just think i dont know your work flow,so its something that you will go to later?

Can i send the pic to Apex or do you want to send that turnaround?

I want them to give an expert eye on the progression of the shark and the art of ours.

So let me know asap ,as im away from sunday!

I can only look in on my iphone not send large files.so i d like to do it before i do.

RawSunlight: I think Airflow will use the GWS pics from south africa as alpha textures to put down skin tex and also skin irratations,as it worked for my gws well,all the rest of the pictures will be used for colour references.
That will be at the final details level.

Good Work.

Airflow
05-22-2009, 06:44 AM
I work from one end to the other, refining everything as I go, so the gills will round out, the eye hole is fine, just mising the eye. Im currently sculpting surface details onto one layer, then going to use that disp map tocreate a diffuse map from. I wont be using the photos as textures, Im making all the deatails by hand. The scarring you see is the first pass, Ill go over about 3 times, adding scars and aging them. For the rough skin Ill use a bump map, as all the stuff you see is actually sculpt. Using the hi-res images as masks wont really beneifit the sculpt, you gotta get those to be grey scale and then get the right bits white and the low bit dark, plus the texture map is 2 2k maps and the disp map will probably be at 4k. Spendin time on the huge images to be able to use them is a waste of time, better to simulate the stuff I got.

I think wait till its more finalised before sending everything, the further I go the more I notice.
May be ready by weds to send. Right now Im figuring out a way to get the jaws into this mesh, as opposed to making them seperate, shark jaws are quite complex, the upper teeth retract, or the gum inflates to cover them when not attacking.
I also had a look at realflow again, its been a while since I used it.
I think, seriously, that to do this your gonna need 2 heavy i7 machines.
The sim of particles is ok, but gravity, dynamic water surface, rigid and soft body dynamics for the shark and boat, froth and bubbles and surface penetration, on top of creating the resulting meshes for intergration to the shots means you will need 2 big bad fish to render this, tiddlers are just chum mate. Id suggest a quad i7. You wil understand when I saend you a file to sim :)

DAZZAN
05-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Ok, im going to send this picture and other art pictures to South africa for their take on the sharks WIP,before i go away.

Did u say you are not going to use the real Great White Shark Skin on cd 2 as texture to the Great White?
Or you were going to use them as a bump?

Well we are going to use two lowly machines with duel quad cores at the mo.Let see if my machines go into spasm shock first.Then i can go into shock with i7s.
Low rez renders at first,untill the final render of the proof of concept.

Ive stocked up on coffee!

my take on skin pic,and useing the pictures as alphas in zbrush.

I work from one end to the other, refining everything as I go, so the gills will round out, the eye hole is fine, just mising the eye. Im currently sculpting surface details onto one layer, then going to use that disp map tocreate a diffuse map from. I wont be using the photos as textures, Im making all the deatails by hand. The scarring you see is the first pass, Ill go over about 3 times, adding scars and aging them. For the rough skin Ill use a bump map, as all the stuff you see is actually sculpt. Using the hi-res images as masks wont really beneifit the sculpt, you gotta get those to be grey scale and then get the right bits white and the low bit dark, plus the texture map is 2 2k maps and the disp map will probably be at 4k. Spendin time on the huge images to be able to use them is a waste of time, better to simulate the stuff I got.

I think wait till its more finalised before sending everything, the further I go the more I notice.
May be ready by weds to send. Right now Im figuring out a way to get the jaws into this mesh, as opposed to making them seperate, shark jaws are quite complex, the upper teeth retract, or the gum inflates to cover them when not attacking.
I also had a look at realflow again, its been a while since I used it.
I think, seriously, that to do this your gonna need 2 heavy i7 machines.
The sim of particles is ok, but gravity, dynamic water surface, rigid and soft body dynamics for the shark and boat, froth and bubbles and surface penetration, on top of creating the resulting meshes for intergration to the shots means you will need 2 big bad fish to render this, tiddlers are just chum mate. Id suggest a quad i7. You wil understand when I saend you a file to sim :)

DAZZAN
05-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Ok Sorry robert ,on reading your post again,i think you said wait until Wednesday to send to apex,or to send to me to render.

As i cant do either ill be away it will have to wait until following Monday.

dazz

Airflow
05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah, Im not too avid on doing micro details, getting that to displace is overkill, this thing is gonna be moving, even in the proof of C it will have water coming off it with refraction, so the fine detail can be done with bump, no point adding to the already big rendertimes with micro details. The scars are the smallest thing Im willing to have displaced.
As for the fluids, heh, trust me, your machines will fall over. I did a small tiny test with my dual core and its not somthing, Id like to be doing for 2 weeks straight, I can tell you. lol. And that was just a tap stream hitting a plane with some gravity, much less for a body of water large enough to surrounding a 25 foot shark and boat, with flying and floating debris and a human splashing about. :)
Aint gonna be easy on a quad core.
But we cross that bridge when we get to it.

MrMJKnight
05-22-2009, 04:31 PM
RawSunlight, loving the last image you did there. ;)

AnthonyThompson
05-24-2009, 02:23 AM
Hey Dazz

Sorry it took so long for me to get started on that tail file you sent. Me I'll be adding some more skinning and breathing effects as well as some more keys too and other controls etc....

Have a good weekend guys...

Airflow
05-24-2009, 10:03 AM
I was looking at the images and wondering why you have so many bones along the skin, the idea was to set it up for dynamic muscle, so I thought you would have worked on the spine and created muscles coming of off that. Maybe you got something in mind for the skin, but it looks like it would be key heavy. Interested on the direction this takes.

AnthonyThompson
05-26-2009, 02:57 AM
Well what I'm thinking is I'm going to attach muscles to some of the bones / rib cage. That way as he moves and swims he they can expand and contract as well. After looking at the some pictures of sharks there muscle are very odd nothing like humans. Dazz if you could point me in the right director or give me some info on them please do =).

I was thinking of using more keys then blend shapes but its up to you guys.... After all Dkeys are used in video game because they cant handle blend shapes but that holds know bearing here.

But yes it might be kind of key heavy is that a problem or I can add controls to the joints that you turn on and off.

AirFlow NICE JOB ON THE SHARK I can't wait to see the teeth

--- Anthony

DAZZAN
05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Lee,
I cant send any info till i am back from cornwall
. Well i think we should see what you do with muscles in thevtail first , then Martin can guide you as how he would like it, key heavy or not key heavy.
Send to Martin & AIrflow and they will look and instruct on the best moves, as the shark will be split into 3 rigged characters for animation.
Martin is looking at airjaws 1&2 from apexpredators, which will show all we are going to need, so i dont know if u can rent them locally, also National geographic have dvds on gws, that include muscle structure,jaws,and eye movement in detail.
But i can only help u when im back home on sunday .
2 nd draft is underway,and Carl Gottliebs , the jaws log is an amazing read , im still keeping a eye on things on my iphone,,but had to drive three miles down a country lane as my o2 signal is so weak down here,its like livinging in the stoneage!
Best of luck
Dazz
Well what I'm thinking is I'm going to attach muscles to some of the bones / rib cage. That way as he moves and swims he they can expand and contract as well. After looking at the some pictures of sharks there muscle are very odd nothing like humans. Dazz if you could point me in the right director or give me some info on them please do =).

I was thinking of using more keys then blend shapes but its up to you guys.... After all Dkeys are used in video game because they cant handle blend shapes but that holds know bearing here.

But yes it might be kind of key heavy is that a problem or I can add controls to the joints that you turn on and off.

AirFlow NICE JOB ON THE SHARK I can't wait to see the teeth

--- Anthony

Airflow
05-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, its not that bad, spent some time in cornwall with ex a couple years back, its just smaller is all. Signal is a prob depending on where you are.

Airflow
05-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Updates..

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/bruce3.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/bruce4.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/bruce5.jpg

CerpinTaxt
05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi everybody,

nice work so far. I'd like to get my hands dirty with some matchmoving. I could also do some modeling,texturing and lighting if needed.

jan

DAZZAN
05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi Jan,

Welcome aboard , really loved the work you had done at abyss- fx.
Im sure you will become a big asset.

Robert , no reply from apex yet.

Dazz

Hi everybody,

nice work so far. I'd like to get my hands dirty with some matchmoving. I could also do some modeling,texturing and lighting if needed.

jan

Airflow
05-29-2009, 04:36 AM
More updates.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/bruce6.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/bruce7.jpg

DAZZAN
05-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi Robert its starting to take shape.

The only things i feel need changeing are:

Well i think your gonna do it anyway,but bulk him out a bit,he looks a bit thin around the gills to the tailfin.
Dorsal fin needs to be thinner back at the edges,and the corner end edge needs to be pulled out longer so it can be animated from side to side.(secondary animation)
Id love to see more of the conical snout of a white shark,as it looks rounder in the shot with the mouth open.
Also i think the pectorals should be slightly wider apart as it will give him more bulk.
The open mouth underside overhang giveing the appearance of a lip should be straight down the body with no underlip.
Still have my probs with the eye,but i admit i have also found a few gws pics that looks like yours,so i admit defeat on that one!
I found and bought perfect GWS Shark pictures in corwall for you,the one i love is the massive head thats risen out of the water side on.If we get anywhere the look of that incredible mass with ours,ill die happy.
As soon as im home ill send them to you asap.

Im guessing the difficulty of getting the open and close positions of the mouth come with animation involved and movement,so when the muscle system of the head comes into it,best to see him moving.(without the water dynamic sim)

No problems with the inside lower and upper jaws,they are comeing a long fine,and the jagged edge of the lower lip is perfect,and that triangular mid section piece is perfect. (they are seperate pieces, the Jaws right?)

Once the teeth are in i want to see him lit and rendered in vray,should be very cool.

I hope apex get back to us with their thoughts soon.

All the best

DAZZ

More updates.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/bruce6.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/bruce7.jpg

Airflow
05-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Ok, took all that onboard. The lip is just a mudbox hack I did to get into the mouth to sculpt, decided to bend the body after to give it some verve, it wont look like that when its rigged. The other stuff rogder willco.
The teeth will have to be placed by hand. Decided to cheat it and not have the gums move fully as they do (inflation), just have them do the jaw roll which I got a cool idea for. My only worry is if the displacment spikes during animaton. Its amazing the difference in great whites, I started this project thinking they all looked the same, they definatly do not.
Ill do tweaks and have him up for saturday, hey would be cool if the new guy, Jan, could do me a set of upper and lower shark teeth.
Oh, and somone should prolly start on the digital beach, sand dune and fence.
Jan, what software do you use, and can you do comping, it be great if you could.

Airflow
05-31-2009, 06:16 AM
Update
Shart teeth test, might do some more detailed ones as the serrations on these ones are too big.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sharkteeth.jpg

DAZZAN
05-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Well done Robert , fantastic seration,well done.
Perfect!
No crits from me , only a request , just details really.
Can u do a few cracked up on the upper teeth please.
Nice you must feel good about these mate as it will give a more rounded definition to the shark being a shark and now being a great white,then we can tweek until its bang on!
Good work.
Ps, look after that meg tooth 4 me, as i got a valuation on my four, and the one you got is just under a grand!

Also got some cool gifts for the team, and Martins gonna flip when he sees what i got him.

Farewall & adios Cornwall, it s been inspirational.

Dazz

Update
Shart teeth test, might do some more detailed ones as the serrations on these ones are too big.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sharkteeth.jpg

CerpinTaxt
05-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Looking good!

I'm gone over the weekend, so I won't be able to do something before Tuesday. Are you finishing the teeth or do you want to hand them over to me an I'll start to finish them right on Tuesday. I'm on Maya 2009, by the way.
About the comping thing. I'd say I have basic compositing skills an of course I'll do what needs to be done but getting some "real" compositors on board would definitly be better.

jan

Airflow
05-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Nah its ok, Ill redo them and try to fit them on monday.

DAZZAN
06-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Jan,

It might be nice to dip your toes in for the lighthouse,as a low res object seen at distance in most of the boat to shore shots,its just the shape at night.plus the animation of the light itself.

daz

Pic included

Looking good!

I'm gone over the weekend, so I won't be able to do something before Tuesday. Are you finishing the teeth or do you want to hand them over to me an I'll start to finish them right on Tuesday. I'm on Maya 2009, by the way.
About the comping thing. I'd say I have basic compositing skills an of course I'll do what needs to be done but getting some "real" compositors on board would definitly be better.

jan

DAZZAN
06-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Ok,i think in the next couple of weeks it might be good for us uk guys to get together in old London town to discuss the film so we all have an imput and all on the right track.

Its not that i dont include Jan & Lee,but i can just about get coffee in for the other chaps,so is coffee included,but your gonna have to get your own flights if you want to come(hee,hee).Ill get you both up to speed on what went down so no worries.

And ill try to pin all the team on a weekend date,just for a one off.

regards

Dazz

Airflow
06-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Updates

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/underw_1.jpg

Airflow
06-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Finished Lookdev for underwater scene, max, vray, dof and phyical camera. Shark is 25feet. The caustic map is a bit cack atm.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/underw_2.jpg

CerpinTaxt
06-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Bruce looks fantastic.

I'm back an just started on the lighthouse.

jan

DAZZAN
06-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi Robert I like the top render best.I wish it was set at night.God rays just through the surface

Dont know about the size and placement of the teeth,lower teeth looks almost there,but the top looks like it needs larger teeth ,size needs to be larger for a 25 foot shark.

Try a vertical render,with a plane for the surface.Have the head to the gills out of the water.Mouth on full bite open wide.....now check then the size of the teeth.Then take a look at the Mc Corsker great white book and compare your teeth to the big 18 to 23 feet GWSs.If you got it right you will know,but then you can adjust size.

I need to give you that pic i bought for you

Lets see that render from an angle slightly to the side then raised giveing a full view of the mouth

The Snout looks like its nearly right in the top,a bit longer,but on the bottom pic looks rounder.

Claspers need to be enlarged(hes a big endowed lad)

The distance between the two pecs still needs adjustment,it looks squashed together,and pulling the two fins down.This will give bulk size being wider.

Slightly more bulk on the under chin maybe(but it could look right on animation,so we can adjust as we go anyway)

Lets have a chat about those high level details at the coffee meet.

Little bit more pink details around the snout tip front.

Love that soft velvet look of the blue on the shark.Perfect!

Love the shadows.

The more i look at them,bits of both of the pics the more i love them.

Well done.

Is it the rigger thats responsible for the mouth at closed/mid/open and wide or do you give animated disps of each,id like to know this just out of interest how that would work.

Regards

Dazz

Finished Lookdev for underwater scene, max, vray, dof and phyical camera. Shark is 25feet. The caustic map is a bit cack atm.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/underw_2.jpg

Airflow
06-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Well I pity who ever rigs it. The disp isnt as heavy as id have liked, but it will have to do. I Have a midrange mesh wrapped to a low res mesh, so the rigging can be done on the low res and propogates to the midres. The jaw roll ill test out this weekend, as I got some more paid work, but basically after a few tweaks done with a disposable rig, thats me done on the shark, Ill look at using springs and flex to achive the softbody dynamics needed for impacts, if that dont work, then we go to reactor, or Skinfx, dunno if they have a demo available.

Airflow
06-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Ok fixed caustics
Fixed wings, the claspers can be fixed by the rigger, its pretty simple to do there.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/underw_3.jpg

Had a look at the quality of the 1970's cameras, pretty bad, that can be done in grading, If anyone knows how to do incamera diffusion in vray please let me know.

DAZZAN
06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Well its amazing the look after you fixing those pecs.
Nice pose
You r working really hard Robert,and its starting to pay off big time!
Nice, keep it up,and that proof should knock it out the park!

Yeah a lot of work on the rigs, hope Lees ok with his muscle sim!
Dazz

Ok fixed caustics
Fixed wings, the claspers can be fixed by the rigger, its pretty simple to do there.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/underw_3.jpg

Had a look at the quality of the 1970's cameras, pretty bad, that can be done in grading, If anyone knows how to do incamera diffusion in vray please let me know.

CerpinTaxt
06-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi there,

here ist a first pic of the lighthouse with very basic shaders an a brick texture.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv158/CerpinTaxt_images/lighthouse_day-01_small.jpg

I'll do some texure and shader work and add a couple of windows during the next days.

jan

DAZZAN
06-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Well done Jan, that is fantastic,and bloody quick too.

Cant wait to see it finished.

Man I love Jaws, sorry guys i was kinda geeking out a little there.

We will get to see how we are going to do the famous beeches section,when the guys meet up.

Regards

Dazz

Hi there,

here ist a first pic of the lighthouse with very basic shaders an a brick texture.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv158/CerpinTaxt_images/lighthouse_day-01_small.jpg

I'll do some texure and shader work and add a couple of windows during the next days.

jan

Airflow
06-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Man, thats looking nice. Just needs some weathring and it will be cool.

DAZZAN
06-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi

Monique Fallows from Apexpredators got back to me but they seem to be having problems with opening jpegs and that shark turnaround,so i am sorting them out with eight more jpegs and if that does not work,i will send a dvd/cd by next day post through my wife at work.

Also going round to cine engineering this am, with prop barrell to start that off,it should take about 1-2 weeks tops if i can also get the clay to start the sculpt on saturday .Will take photos to up.(and a black eye from the wife as i am scupting on the floor in our front room....sorry dear filmmakers yknow!)

Ray is sorting out the transmitter prop so graham at cine can mill out two props for the live shoot.

Im also going through my notes on script and letters to send out once the proof is finished.

You should get emails with draft 2 sat/sun

Dazz

AnthonyThompson
06-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Yea Dazz, I wont be able to make the meeting in old London. But hopefully all be able to fly out on my Private Jet next time.... if I had one.

Anyway This project is really starting to come along. Please keep me informed. AirFlow are you going to put the harpoon in the shark or is that part of another shot?

DAZZAN
06-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi

Monique Fallows from apexpredaters has got back to us ,and she loves the work thats been done,but wants Chris to comment on the Great white,and he is out to see for a couple of days working with the Sharks!

So Rob if you have any question s about the shark,as i do nows the time to say,and i will send it to him.

If you can do that shark head render out of the water close up on the jaws and teeth,id like to send it to him.

Thanks

Dazz

Airflow
06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
K, will do that over the weekend.

AnthonyThompson
06-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Dazz

I have some questions about sharks. I was wondering if you could forward this along. How does a sharks muscle system work. For example when I flex my arm muscles bulge and stretch as I extend my arm. I'm assuming your most concerned about the tail. Also does a shark close his eyes. I here some fish don't. What about breathing, do you want the gills to expand as the breathing motion. I've looked at some pictures for muscles in sharks and it really didn't help too much. If you could shed some light on this please let me know. =)

DAZZAN
06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi Lee,

Well at the moment the muscle system knowledge in great whites was non existent until recently,and a lot was filmed for national geographic .
I have some films you might like,and they will give you as much insight as almost anyone up to date.
Please send me your full address to thejawseffect@f2s.com and ill send you them on dvd.
Again search for air jaws as its great.I try to send Monday!

OK.......now we are not going to be the first to attempt a breach from a great white shark,some chap at the realflow forums looks like he tried forever to get it done,but failed.

And then some fx house with inhouse software called aquarius had done it.
I quite like it myself,but since we are going with a story narrative,ours should look a lot better.

Or six months down the line Robert will be hitting me over the head with a brick,saying about the sim time.

The guy who failed was given a option by a mod on the forum to help this guy but the guy just gave up.

We are going to play it smarter .

Here is the Aquarius try.

http://www.magicpics.com/aquarius/081016_mov/aquarius_shark_jump01s.html

Of course flowline did the meg sharks stuff,i have no probs with the software,just the megs bugged me.

dazz

Hey Dazz

I have some questions about sharks. I was wondering if you could forward this along. How does a sharks muscle system work. For example when I flex my arm muscles bulge and stretch as I extend my arm. I'm assuming your most concerned about the tail. Also does a shark close his eyes. I here some fish don't. What about breathing, do you want the gills to expand as the breathing motion. I've looked at some pictures for muscles in sharks and it really didn't help too much. If you could shed some light on this please let me know. =)

Airflow
06-05-2009, 07:16 AM
http://www.flowlines.info/vfxreel01.html
Lol.

lightcache
06-05-2009, 09:48 AM
use Realflows RealWave function. put in ur animated shark, connect it with a RF_Splash emitter and there you go. results are convincing. imo

Airflow
06-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Wish it were that simple.

DAZZAN
06-08-2009, 12:13 AM
ok im happy with the 2nd draft of the script,so that will be sent to you chaps tomorrow night.
Also Tuesday,im of to Hermans to get that important 2nd part of the boards sorted.

This im very looking forward to,the attack on the boat!

All the best

DAZZ

MrMJKnight
06-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey guys,

Just started this last night. Quite a little bit more to model but it's pretty much to scale.
Have to improvise with the LAMP area.

Please let me know if anything needs changing.

I'll start texturing it soon as it's finalised...

http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy01.jpg
http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy02.jpg
http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy03.jpg
http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoyref.jpg

DAZZAN
06-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Well done Martin.

Just like the pic!

Cant wait to see it textured,and animated when Bruce yanks it down.

Dazz

Hey guys,

Just started this last night. Quite a little bit more to model but it's pretty much to scale.
Have to improvise with the LAMP area.

Please let me know if anything needs changing.

I'll start texturing it soon as it's finalised...

http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy01.jpg
http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy02.jpg
http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy03.jpg

softdistortion
06-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Dropping in to see what's up and just noticed this...
Nice model job...looks identical!

DAZZAN
06-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Nice to see you man !

Thanks for your comment & dropping by.

Dazz

Dropping in to see what's up and just noticed this...
Nice model job...looks identical!

DAZZAN
06-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Martin, you know what makes me smile more than that fantastic model.

Is that animation is your forte!

I got something down in Cornwall for ya !

Think that will make you happy & think like Sharky.

Dazz

MrMJKnight
06-09-2009, 06:36 AM
softdistortion:
Thanks! =] It took quite an effort to work from only two perspective references.
I think the Circular bit at the top is a little too big though? Not of priority at the mo, can be quickly adjusted.

DAZZAN:
Oh buoy oh buoy! (ha)
I'll be looking forward to whatever you've got coming.
I must think like sharky! Become Bruce! Mmm...

Oh, I had a read through the script again.
It's fantastic Daz, well done. I can picture it all in my head.
It will be brilliant.

Cheers guys!
The barrel texture is coming along very nicely.
I'll send in some renders soon as I feel it's worthy enough =]

DAZZAN
06-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Ok this is the BRUCE Vertical breach i was talking about in the script.

I know what the sim time is gonna be like Rob!

But the is is slo motion in front of the boat which might help us with the sim.

dazz

http://www.apexpredators.com/store/showDetail.asp?categoryID=6&productID=489

MrMJKnight
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Right, here is the first draft of the texture for the drum/barrel. I still need to creat some bump, spec & reflectivity maps. So bare with me, don't worry about all the reflections it is picking up. =] There is also a little blending issue on the side of the drum, if you look close enough.

There's still some more detail I need to add:
More Rust
Welding marks
Holes
Scratches
Flakey Paint
And scratched off paint, so you can see the metal.
(Let me know if anything else)

I'm thinking about having minor displacement for the welded parts on the top. Daz do you want that much more detail?

Please let me know what you think! Or needs changing/adjusting.

http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy_barrel_texture_03.jpg

http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy_barrel_texture_02.jpg

AnthonyThompson
06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey Robert and Martine I know this is a re-post. I haven't had a chance to work on this since the last post but dazz is requesting a critique and look at. To be perfectly honest this is only a little more then an hours worth of work. Other projects have been consumming my time. And until now when I started posting questions I hadn't had time to work on it. If you would like me to continue thats not a problem. I have a few questions. Dealing with muscles and what part of the shark to want to flex to my knowldge muscles are used for bludeging / flexing. And I''m having trouble wrapping my head around that concept comparing that to a shark... with a shark flexing.

Also if I continue what kinda of Control / control are you looking for Martine. Just basically tell me eveyrthing your going to want to see.

Also Robert I remember you telling me I wouldn't need all those joints in the body and I agree. But some I'll keep for breathing simulation. I was doing that a form test too see if the shape / model was going to hold.

If you give me a few days I can finishing painting weights and also add some controls and hopfully add some muscle if/ where its needed.

RawSunlight
06-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Brucie's looking fab, Airflow! Robert, the marker bell is a perfect copy! Jan, nice to see your work, great lighthouse, can wait to see it weathered...

Just had a good storyboard meet with Darran, all goes well, 1/4 to 1/3 of it is pretty much there, and best bits yet to come.

Liking the 2nd script, D :)

Great stuff all,

Hugz
H

RawSunlight
06-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Martin, sorry dude, perfect marker bell! (grins sheepishly and exits)...

DAZZAN
06-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Martin,
I have just coming off the storyboards with Herman and this hero object will be seen pretty close almost right beside the boat,every thing you have mentioned seems cool,but dont need to do the disp ,unless you have the time as it will always be handy if we have an option.

As for the boards ..........STUNNING.

Unfortunately we had to stop just before we got to the barrel sequence.

It might be another 3/4 weeks to finish then a little longer for the animated boards,but dont worry.....its gonna be good.

Did leave with rather big grin on my face.

cool......very cool!

Dazz

Right, here is the first draft of the texture for the drum/barrel. I still need to creat some bump, spec & reflectivity maps. So bare with me, don't worry about all the reflections it is picking up. =] There is also a little blending issue on the side of the drum, if you look close enough.

There's still some more detail I need to add:
More Rust
Welding marks
Holes
Scratches
Flakey Paint
And scratched off paint, so you can see the metal.
(Let me know if anything else)

I'm thinking about having minor displacement for the welded parts on the top. Daz do you want that much more detail?

Please let me know what you think! Or needs changing/adjusting.

http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy_barrel_texture_03.jpg

http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy_barrel_texture_02.jpg

CerpinTaxt
06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi,

i really like what everyone else has done so far!

Here is a little update on the lighthouse.

jan

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv158/CerpinTaxt_images/090610jz1800_jaws_lighthouse.jpg

MrMJKnight
06-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi Jan

It's looking fantastic! Keep up to great work! Looking forward to seeing the finalised product =)

Daz/Herman:
Cheers!
Just hearing about these boards, I really can't wait to see them! =]

As for the closeups of the Buoy, it really shouldn't be a problem. Having that tiny bit of displacement will make it that little bit more realistic =] I think I'll give myself 3-5 days to finish the Buoy completely.

Airflow
06-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Great looking work guys.
Im having some displacemnt woes, but I knoe a man who can help. Anyway, this is near the final, its the midres export, its possible it can be skinwrapped to the low poly if the disp issues dont go away.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/sharkmesg.jpg

DAZZAN
06-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Well done Jan nice update.

Daz

DAZZAN
06-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Well I know Robert has been worried about the sim time to come,with realflow and other things,so I have put in place 2500 in mid sept to build a little renderfarm for us for this project.

Now i know it opens a can of worms with what to buy,but don`t go nuts guys that`s plenty of time to think on how to do this.I will try to increase this by other ideas i have by then.

Also when we film the live action,theres the 5000 pounds purely for filming.

There you go.

Thanks for all your hard work guys.Long way to go.

But thanks for so far so coool!

Dazz

MrMJKnight
06-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Hey guys,

In need of an opinion. Does the surface look okay? Like, is it too harsh on the bump?

http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/render_buoy_barrel_texture_07.jpg

MrMJKnight
06-11-2009, 06:41 AM
I... Couldn't resist last night... =]
Found a photo online I just had to comp it in.

http://www.martinjknight.com/jawseffectwip/buoy_sea.jpg

DAZZAN
06-11-2009, 04:02 PM
looks fine to me martin!

Hey guys,

In need of an opinion. Does the surface look okay? Like, is it too harsh on the bump?

artisanfx
06-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Looks like fun :)

maybe I can help with any compositing stuff or particle fx

artisanfx
06-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey guys,

looks not bad only think maybe, the metal looks not like a wet metal and also it needs less reflection coz metal like this one don't have to much reflection on it, i think

Star-Scream
06-12-2009, 01:22 AM
This sounds like a great project to me guys and all the stuff you did looks fantastic. Since I am a JAWS fan also, I would like to help you guys out in modeling some stuff :)

Greetings

DAZZAN
06-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Michael please stand by you are now on the list of people who wish to model for us,at the moment we are to put on hold our asset making or finishing our assets we are doing now to concentrate on the animation and Proof of concept,and when the storyboards are finished we will get back into gear.

We are looking for someone wanting to help with the vfx and has a reel and starting out.Or if someone who is in the industry (professional) who has not got the time to help but wants to,someone who can consult with us on the vfx.

Fluids and fluid dynamics
Rigid bodies
realflow (scripting inc)
maya dyamics (mel)
Lighting the 3d project scenes.

Of course we have a few more items to be made.

But the Proof will be our main target.

thanks keep watching

Dazz

This sounds like a great project to me guys and all the stuff you did looks fantastic. Since I am a JAWS fan also, I would like to help you guys out in modeling some stuff :)

Greetings

DAZZAN
06-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Rob & Martin the dvds are done 4 u both.

They will assist big time with the proof.

will send to Martin in the post asap.

DAZZ

Star-Scream
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Darran,

yeah sure, I will wait ;)

Airflow
06-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Updates.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/jump2.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/airflowzero/jump.jpg

18 mins a frame, very heavy mesh, I had to position the teeth by hand onto a 1891556 polygon mesh (numerically), all 40 of them. Dont ask for any major changes cos its not gonna happen. And yes, the eyes are not there atm.
Phew.

DAZZAN
06-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi all Robert and I have had creative differences on how I want to proceed with Bruce and the time it will take to make all those changes.
And as Robert has a very busy schedule.
He wants to stay on as our main chief VFX adviser ,and I really wanted him to stay as that.

At this moment all work on the Proof is to stop.And assets so far to be finished.

Bruce is a number one priority for the group now.

He is the star,we rise or fall with him.

I need the weekend and look over all my research and my work I have done on white sharks,to plan the next step.I do not in anyway wish to be in this position again with anyone else on Bruce,the team must have more input.It must rest on my shoulders,and the buck will always stop with me.

I will plan the next steps on Monday.

I need caffeine and my thoughts.

Thank you Robert, you are still the great asset to the team.

Dazz

DAZZAN
06-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi guys,

Bit of a thinking weekend,still thinking on the Bruce solution.

Will let you know soon.

But we have a 14.5 foot fishing boat offered to us for filming,it needs work,but it comes with a Spencer Tracey lookalike (old man of the sea) and will help us out on setting up the boat.

As soon as he has finished tinkering with it we can go in and make measurements for the cg match.
It might not look huge but it is,and it is a rower.
Our actor might not have to act as much when he practices with this puppy.

Bruce will be 10.5 feet bigger.

Telling an old chap that we are only going to break up the boat inside the pc was about a 2hrs chat.

We will have to make the oars to spec as suggested with the bottom half green with markers ,so we can row into the cg sea ,and its seamless.

Regards

DAZZ

DAZZAN
06-14-2009, 08:24 PM
We are currently looking for a water splash pipeline with realflow and maya & max.Also rigid body dynamics.

And further on compositing.Nuke would be great.

We will be waiting on the storyboards to show exactly what we are after.

Then we will know,as a lot of people seem to be waiting.

It will be worth it.

So please cruise around this tasty morsel of a project.

Looks like fun :)

maybe I can help with any compositing stuff or particle fx

DAZZAN
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
I am waiting for Apexpredators to get back in touch with something I have sent before I make a desicion on BRUCE.
Chris Fallows the lucky man is out at sea off South Africa with the whites.

He will let me know what he thinks when he comes in shortly .

Dazz

Boone
06-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Bloody hell, that's a fantastic effort on the shark. Most shark models are "over cooked" yet miss the vital details, but that is bloody excellent and practically perfect.

Is this for a commercial work?

DAZZAN
06-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Well my decision is for change.

A different path.

Only time will tell.

Id like the chance to try.

Thanks for you input.

You know rob, yeah,he said you worked together on a collab project ages ago.

But the team knows about the change to come.

Regards

Dazz

Bloody hell, that's a fantastic effort on the shark. Most shark models are "over cooked" yet miss the vital details, but that is bloody excellent and practically perfect.

Is this for a commercial work?

DAZZAN
06-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi guys just wanted to show you the starting point of the upper teeth and jaws of BRUCE

These will be reworked at the weekend.

All things such as textures will be made and passed around by the team.

It has to be a collaborative BRUCE project .

Regards

Dazz

Airflow
06-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Best of luck you guys with the project, there has been some great work posted, and a good verve.
Keep on with it, and I hope you have somthing nice to show everybody soon.
Adios.

Boone
06-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Yeah, me and rob worked on the SteamPunk challenge last Christmas. Along with a few others. If there's anything you would like to know about it please shoot! Always glad to pass on my experience to others.

Unfortunately I'm not working with Rob right now as I am busy on other stuff, so I wouldn't be able to join the project I'm afraid. The offer is appreciated though. :beer:

Keep up the good work though, and I shall keep an eye on this very promising project.

Regards, Steve.

Well my decision is for change.

A different path.

Only time will tell.

Id like the chance to try.

Thanks for you input.

You know rob, yeah,he said you worked together on a collab project ages ago.

But the team knows about the change to come.

Regards

Dazz

DAZZAN
06-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Steven you dont remember, me and you having a laugh over movies and comics at christmas a couple of years back,of course you would`nt but i still do ,avatars changed but that was a lot of fun.Think it was comic movies.
think that was a lot of posts ago.

Cheers to you!

DAZZ

Yeah, me and rob worked on the SteamPunk challenge last Christmas. Along with a few others. If there's anything you would like to know about it please shoot! Always glad to pass on my experience to others.

Unfortunately I'm not working with Rob right now as I am busy on other stuff, so I wouldn't be able to join the project I'm afraid. The offer is appreciated though. :beer:

Keep up the good work though, and I shall keep an eye on this very promising project.

Regards, Steve.

DAZZAN
06-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Rob, those words you left me with are still ringing in my ears,and i`ve had a few drinks ,which seems to have improved my typing.Since i dont drink and if i wake up in the morning in someone elses house.I must have had a cool time.
Might drink more. by the end of this project im an alcaholic i can always smile and say Rob its was down to you.LOL

DAZZ

Best of luck you guys with the project, there has been some great work posted, and a good verve.
Keep on with it, and I hope you have somthing nice to show everybody soon.
Adios.

Darkeyesuk2000
06-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi guys just wanted to show you the starting point of the upper teeth and jaws of BRUCE

These will be reworked at the weekend.

All things such as textures will be made and passed around by the team.

It has to be a collaborative BRUCE project .

Regards

Dazz

Nice Jaws Dazza,

I like the details, keep it up this is what will make it stand out!
i see its the old stuff you been working on.
Good job on getting the boat.
This project is gonna cost you an arm and a leg.
Take your time, i know how important bruce is to you.
Also its a colabarative project that we can all join in.

AnthonyThompson
06-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Hey Dazz I have a friend of mine who can do sound for us for, if we need that.

I'm checking into the render farm that I have access to and I'm trying to sort some things out with that. I'm sure that's going to be a whole lot of fun working with all those jar heads.

I've been talking to people yesterday trying to get to get it confirmed.

DAZZAN
06-17-2009, 07:49 AM
A sound designer is a great asset to the team,that would be cool,id like to hear something later on near the time of filming.

The Son of John Williams is also cool,but i doo have a lot of pms and mails from composers wanting to score so it will be going through portfolios.

That renderfarm will be important to us in the now,and when we start on the water.

Thanks for asking for us,you never know if you dont ask.

Written on my gravestone,i think !

Love letter writing.

DAZZ

Hey Dazz I have a friend of mine who can do sound for us for, if we need that.

I'm checking into the render farm that I have access to and I'm trying to sort some things out with that. I'm sure that's going to be a whole lot of fun working with all those jar heads.

I've been talking to people yesterday trying to get to get it confirmed.

Boone
06-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Steven you dont remember, me and you having a laugh over movies and comics at christmas a couple of years back,of course you would`nt but i still do ,avatars changed but that was a lot of fun.Think it was comic movies.
think that was a lot of posts ago.

Cheers to you!

DAZZ

Was it something about slippers, General Grevious and Star Wars thread lynching? :arteest:

DAZZAN
06-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Was it something about slippers, General Grevious and Star Wars thread lynching? :arteest:

Think it was about Galactus in the new ff movie and the rumers that he was not the one we knew from the comics,but rumered to be a cloud formation,which rightly upset us being fans and we hoped we`d be wrong!

BUGGER!

DAZZAN
06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I am setting my assets up at the weekend for the BRUCE sculpt

I have ordered 3 main books, i have one i used for years, but it has been updated.

Great White Sharks: The Biology of Carcharodon carcharias
South Africa's Great White Shark
Great White Shark by Richard Ellis, John McCosker, and A.I. Giddings
(they should arrive by tues/wen)

The first was 50 quid but this sculpt made it worth it.

I will set up all the photos from the Natal Shark Board that were meant to be used on the Great Whites male/female 20/23 ft sharks i had already made for my still private project the jaws effect last Jan08.I had meant to come back to the project and use the photos as alphas.

I am working on the Base mesh of the male for the sculpt .Time is a bit of a problem for me at the moment(fathers day this weekend) .I should free up some time to sculpt middle of next week,but Herman will be a little while on the boards.

I am also talking to another member about helping out next week.

Ive also stopped work on the live action barrel sculpt in WED clay.will pick up after Bruce is done.

Graham from cine engineering will be prototyping the transmiter (2) when that is finished being made in cad.He also has ideas into a cradle for the boat so it can be spun in 3 axis and be rocked with the waves motion for the live shoot.

All the best

DAZZ

Clanger
06-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Here's the barrel with some temporary textures on it. I'll do the final ones when the real barrel prop has been made so I can match it to that.

http://www.rgore.plus.com/CGTalk/barrel.jpg

DAZZAN
06-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Well done Ray . Just what I asked for.

Thanks mate.

Yeah once i finish on Bruce I will get around to that again,my wife says its blocking the tv in the front room.We can take pictures of mine with my canon and match to your barrel.

When the storyboard are ready we can animate to order!

Cheers

Dazz

Here's the barrel with some temporary textures on it. I'll do the final ones when the real barrel prop has been made so I can match it to that.

Boone
06-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Think it was about Galactus in the new ff movie and the rumers that he was not the one we knew from the comics,but rumered to be a cloud formation,which rightly upset us being fans and we hoped we`d be wrong!

BUGGER!

Its been ages since I watched that one. Dunno what it was with those two movies, but I actually enjoyed them. Should have been complete turn-offs, but some how they got me tuned in.

Not really juiced up for a third outing, but I'd still go and watch it if there was one.

softdistortion
06-20-2009, 01:16 AM

Nice job!
Needs grime and scratching, but like you said you're gonna match it to a real world prop item, so doing it up like this just to show?...Well appreciated by this viewer. :thumbsup:

fiftypercent
06-20-2009, 01:30 AM
look at my gambit effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_6LKyM_LtQ

AnthonyThompson
06-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Thats looks really good man, but I have a question. Um why did you post it here?

DAZZAN
06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi,
We are still in the middle of the boards before we take on any more crew,this is because id like people to see properly what we are going to have to do.

This will take as much time as it takes!

I REALLY like the style it gives us,and the insight to what lays ahead.

I have posted the criteria of what im gonna be after.

Its like the film Jaws.

We are waiting for the barrel to pop up !(although i know the cg one has thanks to clanger)

Then we go.!

Im still working my old Basemesh for Bruce.

But will start the Jaws and teeth 1st.

I will be posting the effects to do and how to procede on their forums with the appropriate
boards on specific threads to ask about the effect.

Regards

DAZZ

look at my gambit effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_6LKyM_LtQ

RagingBull
06-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Going to closely watch this thread, and read through all of it so far, sounds and looks really interesting.

RawSunlight
06-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Sorry to see there's been some changes while I've been away, Airflow's shark was really starting to take shape...
Have to say though, Darran, those jaws are frightening in their detail, which is exactly what we're after, right? An uber-bruce, a shark so detailed it looks real?
Can't wait to see more!

Back on the storyboards next week... now that I've set a nice 70's style to them, hope to speed paint them to get the film fleshed out, then will paint them up to make them sexy.

Barrel is looking great; boat looks fab, will try to match it in my boards!

Keep the faith, it's a great project!!!
Hugz H

bobzilla
06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Just latching on to see the progress. Looks like an interesting project.

Jaws has always been a favorite. Finally bought the DVD and watched it last summer for the first time in a while. Going to watch again this summer at some point. Great film from start to finish.

Good luck with the project, although it looks like you have plenty of talent here, so luck may not be needed!

DAZZAN
06-21-2009, 08:59 PM
http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/Bruceunderpal.jpg

This is the Upper jaws palette I was working on in Jan 08 in Z brush ,when i stpped to go back onto my other private project.

This is what ill be starting on Wednesday I hope.

Each of the top row upper jaws teeth will be designed now individually according to the book I have just bought.

The correct detail for being a old shark needs to be added with the Natal Shark Board pictures that they took for me.

I will work on my picture resolution when I up as well.

All the best

DAZZ

AnthonyThompson
06-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Dazz..... WOW!!!

MrMJKnight
06-22-2009, 04:58 AM
Clanger
Hey bud, very good work on that barrel! It's fantastic, really can't wait to see it complete.

Dazzan
Wow Daz, fanstic. The amount of detail in that, crazy. It really looks spot on to what I've seen in all those videos you've been sending me. I just had a look at the recent ones you sent me, and they've been most helpful so far. There is a few shots in one of the documentaries showing in depth when GW's open their jaws, the gums come out and the lips get's pulled back. Made me go wow. It was a deceased shark though, so they manually pulled it back themselves.

I've been very busy lately, so I've not been home much at all. I'll get finish the Buoy's texturing soon.

RawSunlight
Hey Herman, I really can't wait to see those boards.
How far along are you with them? =]

AnthonyThompson
06-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Hey Dazz I don't know if you got my last email. I got your package in the mail Monday. Thank you so much!

DAZZAN
06-25-2009, 09:16 AM
No probs mate,i hope its useful.

Im gonna be busy in the next 4 weeks on Bruce.

As i said it might slow down on here till we wait for Herman on the boards.Work & family first.

Ive done 9 out of 13 on the top row and then ive got 12/12 on the bottom row to start me off.Then then jaws, then the body.

Ill be posting here but moving the sculpt over to another site.

Will let you know soon as!

Regards

dazz

Hey Dazz I don't know if you got my last email. I got your package in the mail Monday. Thank you so much!

DAZZAN
06-27-2009, 03:01 PM
These are the first pass sculpt of the first 13/13 teeth right side upper.
I will now start on the left side upper teeth front 13/13
Then I will start on second pass of each tooth.
Inserting details & impacts and broken teeth.

Then I will do the same to the lower side left and right 12/12.

26 teeth upper level
24 teeth lower level
Also their respective replacement teeth on the upper level.

The teeth numbers of course are relating to 1 being the middle starting point and 13 being the outside last rear tooth.

Ill let you know when I`ve started on the other site soon as I work out their upload rules and posting rules.

Don`t pay to much regard on the root as it will be hidden inside the upper jaws.

Most tooth serrations on Great whites tend to be smaller,but if you take the size of Bruce and a great white has never been recorded to this size (25ft).
They have to be bigger like the ones on meg teeth.

Regards

DAZZ

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHSET1.jpg

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHSET2.jpg

MrMJKnight
06-27-2009, 03:17 PM
DAZZAN

Great variations with the teeth there Daz, it is looking fantastic. Can't wait to see them inserted to give us a nice Brucie Smile. =]

AnthonyThompson
06-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Darran, I can't believe the amount of detail that is being put into Bruce! This going to be a very nice model when completed.

---- talk to you soon my friend

DAZZAN
06-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Ive put the Bruce Sculpt up on the main forum at Pixologic main forum.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=72488

We might have a few extra visitors from there coming over to say hi.

Make them welcome.

regards

DAZZ

DAZZAN
06-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Hi these are the left hand side upper teeth.

next the fun stuff of mini details!

from Apexpredators

Hi Darran, great. Also the Natal sharks board is a very good reference
point.
Looks good so far, just be careful to not make the bottom teeth to wide.
Chris & Monique
----- Original Message -----
To: "Chris & Monique Fallows"
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: the JAWS effect :13/13 top row teeth Great White

seriously nice to have this very nice couple on hand.
very lucky.

dazz
http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHSET3.jpg
http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHSET4.jpg

DAZZAN
06-30-2009, 09:27 PM
This is the biggest Great White ever confirmed and caught on record .

Female 23.5 ft.
1.5 ft off Bruces size.
no males since 1990 have been recorded over 16.5 ft
It seems the woman have the edge.
This GWS shark was 1 mile off shore(Malta) and the lone guy was in a boat at 14ft.
Our boat is 14.5 ft for the film.
There is a pic of this guy with his head in the sharks mouth...and supposedly the heart was still beating!
Those crazy Malteze guys.
I thought you guys might find this interesting.:)

Regards

DAZZ

http://ftp.darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/malter shark 01.jpg

http://ftp.darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/malter shark 02.jpg

AnthonyThompson
06-30-2009, 10:18 PM
This is the biggest Great White ever confirmed and caught on record .

Female 23.5 ft.
1.5 ft off Bruces size.
no males since 1990 have been recorded over 16.5 ft
It seems the woman have the edge.

I thought you guys might find this interesting.:)

Dazz, is it common in sharks for the female to be bigger then the male?

DAZZAN
06-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Yes Lee, it is common that females are larger & also when pregnant of course(even bigger),but the females are bigger than the males!

In the book on first contact Hooper excitedly calls bruce" A god damn Megladon"
Quint in his own way tells Hooper he`s(Hooper) on drugs.
Brody, feels like he should be on drugs,being on this little boat with that goddamn shark!

DAZZ

Dazz, is it common in sharks for the female to be bigger then the male?

Darkeyesuk2000
07-03-2009, 08:05 PM
way to go dazz
it takes an obsesive compulsive to get that kinda detail, Bruce will rock!

DAZZAN
07-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi sorry for the wait ,these teeth took longer as the lower set of a white shark has irregular serrations for gripping prey and holding while the upper tear and rip.

Ill be doing the left side then go at the details on the teeth,but I wont up every single tooth.

Then Ill start on upper & lower Jaws and inserting teeth.

Regards

Dazz

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHSET6lo.jpg

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHSET5lo.jpg

DAZZAN
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
At last the final lot of teeth! (ok there r the rear replacements, but they kinda look like the front ones they are replacing)

At last i can start on getting some details and upping individual teeth.

regards

dazz

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHSET7lo.jpg

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHSET8lo.jpg

AnthonyThompson
07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Very Nice Job Dazz

DAZZAN
07-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Very Nice Job Dazz

Cheers Lee,I sent a email to a lady who specializes in shark ageing at the Natal Shark Board as asked to do so by Chris(Fallows).

She said Sharks do not age like you or I ,they do not wrinkle with age,but carry/collect wounds and scars with them as they grow.

I needed this info for Bruce really.So you know that in the end Bruce has to be carrying some pretty mean scarring through the years.

Ill try to quicken my pace,but really this job needs to be done right.
Those through the night working i used to be able to do twenty years ago,seems to have caught up on me!

Dazz

I had another productive night of storyboarding with Herman ,and ill talk to him on Monday about upping some of the boards next week to give everyone a glimpse of the look and feel we need for the Jaws effect.
He`s doing such a wonderful job.

DAZZAN
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi guys been working hard this weekend on Bruce !

These are the work in progress of those teeth I made being fitted into the Jaws and also my start on impact items on them and the jaws.

As you can see I had a idea a year ago about putting in the new grown replacements on the lower level in the displacement sculpt.I will do alphas of all front upper teeth and insert them in.
The detail on the upper palette at the back is from a alpha of a great whites under palette.Plus I have about 75 GWS alphas in total for all over the shark.

Regards

DAZZ

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHRSIDElow.jpg

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEUPPERJAWTEETHRSIDEUPlow.jpg

AnthonyThompson
07-13-2009, 03:48 AM
That's great dazz I can't wait to see the story, and I didn't know that about sharks! Your doing a wonderful job.... keep up the good work. I'm glad to see your progressing.
Long nights do take there toll on the body.

Keep up the good work dazz

Cheers

MrMJKnight
07-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm pleased to see that you've put so much effort in to this model, and it will certainly pay off. I really can't wait for this project to shoot off, I'm looking forward to animating =]

Even more so, I can't wait to see the boards finished.

RawSunlight
07-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi guys, so sorry to be taking so long, 4 month old daughter, blah, blah... ;)
Thought I'd post what I have so far just to try and help move things on; it's the first half of the movie and stops just as things get interesting (damn those cliffhangers, sorry )

Lots more to post over the weekend...
cheers guys and thanks for being patient

Hugz
H

Darran, hope to meet up beginning of next week to go through the end :)

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1247848762_large.jpg

RawSunlight
07-17-2009, 06:03 PM
and some more... remember these will be an amimated board, with camera moves so haven't bothered with motion indicators, etc...
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1247848928_large.jpg

ovspianist
07-17-2009, 06:25 PM
OMG!!! Too beautiful!

can't wait to see it out!

bobzilla
07-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Those are great! Works of art in themselves.

The only storyboarding I've attempted has been squiggly sketches with arrows!

I'm a huge JAWS fan (probably watch it again this week) and have been watching the progress here. What an extremely talented group.

Amazing stuff...

DAZZAN
07-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Well its front page stuff from me.:cool:

Stunning:drool:

Its good to give people a look at the style and feel of what we were after.

The animated boards will finish it off.

Well worth the effort.

We will get together next week to get to the end of these.

2 weeks vacation for me afterwards.

dazz

CerpinTaxt
07-18-2009, 09:24 AM
2 weeks vacation for me afterwards.

Well deserved, Dazz! Can't wait to see more of Bruce ;)

DAMN Herman, these storyboards look absolutely fantastic!

Darkeyesuk2000
07-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Totaly mindblowing.
I love the story boards, this is just a small taste of things to come i bet!
great work guys!

MrMJKnight
07-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Herman, simple incredible. Great job on these! It's really something to look at. Extremely expresses exactly the style Daz is looking for. I'm glad you've put all this effort in to it.

Again, well done =]

DAZZAN
07-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Those are great! Works of art in themselves.

The only storyboarding I've attempted has been squiggly sketches with arrows!

I'm a huge JAWS fan (probably watch it again this week) and have been watching the progress here. What an extremely talented group.

Amazing stuff...

Hi mate thanks for the comments,if you do get round to watching JAWS again,our insert into this project takes place after the scene when Bruce disappears after the first barrel is plugged into him by Quint.
Then comes back at the next scene leading up to the famous Indianapolis speech !
Bruce goes away.....but where?
As Mr Hooper says in the film when he talks to a drunk Brody.
Territoriality.....the shark if his theory is correct,is back hunting along the shores of Amity!
Cue our boards.
We like to be a different kind of fan film.

Nice to c u again.
enjoy the film, again.
Dazz

RawSunlight
07-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments, guys :)
It's just the illusion of quality though... and some of the boards will definitely show they're speed work!

Just finished putting madam down for the night, so here's another couple of boards. (apologies for the face work, quick and dirty for now, will paint up once we're ok with our sequences)

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1248043547_large.jpg

RawSunlight
07-20-2009, 12:06 AM
and another... (perspective on the boat in 23 is all hideous and malformed, but it'll do for now :) ...and bugger, just noticed 24 is the wrong pic as oars aren't in the boat...will swap for correct one 2moro ... nite nite ...zzzzzz
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g42/221042/221042_1248043665_large.jpg

DAZZAN
07-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Very sad reflection from the father as you can see,he has a lot on his mind.
Taking his mind off what`s in the water.:sad:

Always front page to me Herman !:beer:

Fantastic

Dazz

MrMJKnight
07-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Herman, you've seriously done a fantastic job and all that time and effort have certainly paid off well.

Thanks for being devoted to this project, it's going to really help everyone!

DAZZAN
07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
These are about 90% done.

Teeth placements inside the Jaws & sculpt of lower upper replacement

A few more changes & details to be added to teeth and gums.I will be starting on the lower jaws & teeth,as I need to know whether my z brush(AUG) 4 is coming out in 64 bit,or I need to go into my new Mudbox 2009 to finish the details as I can with displacements to 30+ million into Mudbox(Jaws & Bruce only,not teeth) with ease,only 8 in Z at the moment(with trouble) .
Lower pallet will be quicker to sculpt,and then Bruce.

I messed around with matcap materials in Z.(underpallet)

All the teeth have been decimated(plugin) with no signs of trouble,making the Jaws plus teeth in the same scene helpfull rather than crash....crash.

regards(Will be back from hols,with more vigor! but will be around on hols if aloud!);)

DAZZ

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/UpperJawsplusteethFINALundrpallet.jpg

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/UpperJawsplusteethFINAL.jpg

MrMJKnight
07-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Eeeeeeeek :bounce:

:applause:

RawSunlight
07-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Now that's why you name a film 'JAWS' ... amazing work, Darran, you're leading the way for us all!
As I need to get back into my modeling skills, am going to do the seagull for a bit of a break from the boards, but will post the rest of them through the week.

Awesome, awesome work!!!

DAZZAN
07-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi guys,
Thanks for the comments,im not thinking about Bruce(lie!)
on holiday, but trying to relax.
Well done on the boards Herman , the juicey is stuff just around the corner!
A well deserved break as well.
Thankyou mate.
Regards
Dazz

AnthonyThompson
07-28-2009, 02:21 AM
Darren you are the MAN!!!

CerpinTaxt
07-28-2009, 08:54 AM
I love these Jaws, Darran!

DAZZAN
07-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys for the comments.
Very nice to see you!

Ill finish up with the Great white gum alphas,and little more nicks and cuts,that will finish the upper jaws and teeth.
Ill be straight onto lower jaws and inserting the lower teeth as i come back.
And of course im setting up how to set out Bruce like ive always wanted to,in my sparetime other than relaxing and drinking non alchoholic cocktails,and they do a lovely expresso granita just down the road,i am going through wayne robson from the ground up tutorials.
Just in case Z4 64 bit does not arrive!
And looking over the script again.
And other things to do with filming.
The family say relax,but when you like something,no love something,it does make you relax and happy!.
Wots wrong with sunbathing with a laptop by the pool?:)

Ill steal a line from Herman and say"Keep the faith"

All th best,and chat soon.

DAZZ

Darkeyesuk2000
07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Remember Dazz Shoot for the edit!

that shark mouth is gonna look awesome.

DAZZAN
08-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi guys nice to be back!This is the 1st draft of the impact details on Bruce s Jaws.
Includes the alpha texture of the Great White gum detail.
Ill be softening then adding as I go along,as Bruce will have his battle scars through his years.

regards

Daz

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/UpperJawsImpact-detail-1st-draft.jpg

Dreamie
08-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Awesome works guys!

AnthonyThompson
08-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Good To hear From you Dazz, your setting the standers for this model. Keep up the good work. Happy to hear from you

CerpinTaxt
08-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Looks awesome, Dazz. Keep going!

DAZZAN
08-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks Jan,cheers Lee

I`ve now started on the Lower Jaws and placement of decimated 24 teeth.It will be quicker on the LowerJaws,should be able to up a pic on Thursday/ Friday.

Next week ill be able to start the uv on Bruce `s body.

At last!

EBOLII
08-21-2009, 02:56 AM
weeks up and gone............ :bounce: Bruce....Bruce....Bruce....Bruce :bounce: ............Why ain't you guys chanting?

DAZZAN
08-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Memo to me: dont give a time when I will be upping new pics;)

Sorry for the delay.

This is my WIP

Impact details will be done faster if i do them individually on each lower tooth once GoZ is introduced at the end of the month(x fingers it works),then render out in mentalray Maya.

I`m still adding and softening as I go,and resizing .

Main resizing will be done with the main Bruce body,then adjustments of open mouth & closed.

I wont need the teeth as i sculpt Bruce,but ill decimate the upper & lower jaws to help with the body sculpt.

All the best

DAZZ
http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/THE2JAWSWIP.jpg

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/LOWERJawsFINALDETAILS.jpg

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/LOWERJawsFINALDETAILS2.jpg

bobzilla
08-22-2009, 05:45 PM
That looks phenomenal! Can't wait to see the body.

"Get your name in the National Geographic."

DAZZAN
08-22-2009, 05:54 PM
That looks phenomenal! Can't wait to see the body.

"Get your name in the National Geographic."

My fellow JAWS fan,thanks! its good to see you.

I am up for the body.

Its amazing how many components are on the JAWS.

I must give thanks to the Natal Shark Board for the real GWS gum photos that was converted to an alpha....massive help.

DAZZ

Darkeyesuk2000
08-23-2009, 07:09 PM
I think this is where alot of people in the past who had made shark models came up a bit short.
they didnt have acsess to the photos and reserch material that you do.
well done and keep up the good work.

DAZZAN
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks "ZANE"

Well you are about to find out the answer to that question in the near future.

This is BRUCE "BASE" on his way to the UV chop shop,and wanting to know what his new set of Jaws are going to look like on him!:)

Everything you see on him will be changed in some way.

I wish to thank Clanger for doing a fine retop to my old mesh,this is all Quads of course.

Once zbrush 3.5 and go Z is in my hands I should be able to edit Bruce a lot smoother & faster to and from MAYA.I dont like it i change it!

"Come on in to the water!"

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCEBase.jpg

EBOLII
08-24-2009, 01:27 AM
In a time of movie remakes I have often wondered when and IF hollywood would touch this masterpiece. You have proven that with the right f/x it can be done.....

I look forward to your next updates :buttrock:

DAZZAN
08-24-2009, 10:59 PM
In a time of movie remakes I have often wondered when and IF hollywood would touch this masterpiece. You have proven that with the right f/x it can be done.....

I look forward to your next updates :buttrock:

Thanks man,very nice of you to say.

I`d like to think this project will fall into the alternate perspective,like an extra scene possibility within the timeline of Jaws.I always read & loved Marvel comics "What If" when I was a kid,and this I think falls into that category.

Only time will tell.

All the best

DAZZ

AnthonyThompson
08-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Nice job dazz keep up the good work I can't wait to see you touch this up with Z brush your doing great my friend.

P.S. I've been watching the video thanks =)

DAZZAN
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey thats cool mate,i keep the videos going in the background while working on Bruce.

Again I cant wait to get into 3.5 and bring it all in to Maya.

Starting the UVs ,then a few test sculpts.

I know at the moment I cant go over 12 mill polys without having acute slowdown,so im also practising the scot spencer displacement & bump.Its not very intuitive in Zbrush and takes a little getting used to,but it works.

Thanks for the comment,great to hear from you and cant wait to get Bruce to the animation stages!

Dazz

DAZZAN
08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
No not a textured Bruce ;)

Had to share with you .Great whites always a favourite with the media.Seems to have made the uk dailies !

Wildlife photographer Chris Brunskill got this shot at False Bay S.A .

Almost a vertical take off like Bruce is going to do:cool:

Dazz

http://ftp.darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/greatwhiteCB_450x300.jpg

bobzilla
08-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Very cool shot!

While on vacation at the New Jersey shore in the States, I watched Shark Week and saw a show where they went too a few different places looking for jumping whites. S.A., California and Australia...I think.

And when Jaws was made people thought a shark jumping like it did in the movie was pure fiction...

CerpinTaxt
08-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Great dazz, can't wait to see the first draft out of Z-Brush

DAZZAN
08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
I am still full steam ahead on 1st draft of Bruce.

Sorry ,but he is gonna take a while,but ill get there(i hope)

I am thinking of a displacement and a normal map output for Bruce,for the ultra fine pores and wrinkles.
I have a idea but would like to ask how big would a texture map be if you are shooting at say (hd)2 k(possibly scarlet when released or 4k (red, but i know the resolution is reduced later on)?

Texture :would it be 2x higher than the resolution of the media shot with?

Also medium shots and long shots would be further reduced.

Say if a single shot would be from above & Bruce is coming from a 20ft distance to a 2ft right up to camera.?

Like the image

http://ftp.darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/Great-white-leaps.jpg

Perhaps a tad closer to the camera,but this should give you a idea I hope.

Its just when I add details and it comes down to painting Bruce.
I need to enter a good texture res size.

Ps

Would the size output be the same for the teeth & jaws for say the same shot?

And I am using this wonderful pic as my mouth open sculpt.

All the best

DAZ

DAZZAN
08-31-2009, 11:25 AM
This is my 1st start on roughing out shapes on Bruce s open mouth.
Ive morphed targeted the closed mouth base to the open one.
This will be shaped again at a slightly higher level.Inside the mouth will be shaped to.
Eyes to put in and nasal cavity later.(needs to be put on the mouth closed,then tweaked for the open mouth.
Ill be starting on the closed mouth and switching back and forth to get the final shape.
Then ill start the details.
Both sets of Jaws & teeth are low res dummies just as a guide for me.
Lots to do.

Regards

DAZZ

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCE_open-mouth-1st-draft_Low01

EBOLII
08-31-2009, 01:27 PM
wow! that is spectacular for a rough draft.........wow :buttrock:

DAZZAN
08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Cheers mate!

Thanks for the comment.

Now gonna rough out Bruce closed mouth.

Wow ...its like doing two sharks!

Daz

bobzilla
08-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Looking great, Darran!

It's amazing how the difference between the mouth open and the mouth closed. It IS almost like doing two different animals.

DAZZAN
09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks Bobzilla.

Here`s the 1st draft on the closed mouth.I want the alpha dog bulk look for Bruce,so worked more on the mouth.The eyes need adjust ,and the pecs.

Well Wip really,but at least it gives me the opportunity to look at both open and closed models now.(a lot I want to tweek on the open mouth, 3rd pic just looks wrong,others need adjusts and more work.

All needs to work at all the angles really....so back at it.

All the best

Dazz

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCE_Closed-mouth-1st-draft.jpg

MrMJKnight
09-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Cool Daz, the Jaws open I think you've got it spot on. You see where the gums meet the inside of the mouth? Will you be blending that with the inside of the skin? It looks a little odd having such detail and then suddenly get's cut off.

The closed mouth I'm not too sure about, it looks a little too lumpy in my opinion. But it is a Draft after all :)

But I would like to see different angles if you don't mind.

Anyhoo, I come across this the other day. Quite funny it is. Well I thought it was funny :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEwrjOYyPDg&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=0663F5654A7B6C91

DAZZAN
09-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Cheers Martin.

"Cool Daz, the Jaws open I think you've got it spot on."

Ta, got to admit the open mouth needs some good ole tweeks,that 3rd one needs the most.

"You see where the gums meet the inside of the mouth? Will you be blending that with the inside of the skin? It looks a little odd having such detail and then suddenly get's cut off."

No,no, I think it looks wonderful having no detail there Martin mate,it makes my jaws stand out and no one will ever notice.........;) Ok, so yep I will be blending that ,but a little down the line !

"The closed mouth I'm not too sure about, it looks a little too lumpy in my opinion."

Agreed 110% . Anti lumpy cream has started to be applied last night/early morning (yawn).....but takes a few hours to soak into a Great white sharks skin to fully see the effects.

A different angle with push & pull and tweaking going on,at your command.

All work is just down to the start of his Gills.

As a fully fledged Sharky fan Martin your opinions are well needed mate, please keep em coming,makes me work so much harder to please you !

Funny video Martin ! White tip wannabes!

Coffee on sunday I hope at epsom,will confirm soon. Ill buy 1st round and maybe second, as you will need it after the cycle ride from north london!

http://darranknight.f2s.com/jaws/BRUCE_open-mouth-Bulk-2nd-draft.jpg

All the best

Daz