PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Parenting

dickma
07-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Is Dynamic Parenting related to the following animate action like picking and throwing a ball by hand?

How can I achieve this in Lightwave (I mean the easiest way)?

Mattoo
07-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Yes, that's a good application of the Dynamic Parenting feature in LW. It's called "Parenter" and it's found in the Modifiers list in the Motion Panel.

I'm sure there's documentation on it in the manual but I've never needed it since it's so easy to use.

artista3d
07-12-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Dick Ma
Is Dynamic Parenting related to the following animate action like picking and throwing a ball by hand?

How can I achieve this in Lightwave (I mean the easiest way)?

Select the ball object, got to Motion Options ('m' key), then from the Add Modifier list, select Parenter. Double-click the "Dynamic (Keyable) Parent" modifier to get the "Dynamic Parents" window.

Then move the time slider to the frame where you want the ball to be picked and, on the Dynamic Parents window, click on "Parent" and select as parent the hand object (or whatever object that will pick the ball). Use the defaults settings, or play with them to your taste.

Move again the time slider to the frame where you want the ball to leave the hand, then click on "Unparent". From this frame, you can animate the ball using keyframes.

Hope that helps!

Triple G
07-12-2003, 08:38 PM
I still think the easiest way to do stuff like this is the "old-school" way. Duplicate your ball, with one parented to the hand and the other one not. Turn off the one that's not parented until the ball is released, then turn it on and turn the other ball off. Nice and simple, and no finicky plugins to worry about. :thumbsup:

adrencg
07-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Triple G
I still think the easiest way to do stuff like this is the "old-school" way. Duplicate your ball, with one parented to the hand and the other one not. Turn off the one that's not parented until the ball is released, then turn it on and turn the other ball off. Nice and simple, and no finicky plugins to worry about. :thumbsup:

you are correct, because all of these dynamic parenting plugins work-- to a certain point --

Once you want to do something crazy with it, FORGET IT! Funky crap starts to happen, objects point the wrong way, realtime preview goes away and other things I can't think of at the moment.

Do it the old school way -- clone the parented object at the correct frame, then unparent at it and use size or dissolve enevelopes to switch between objects.

mike

dickma
07-13-2003, 06:53 PM
that means the Lightwave Plugin is not stable?

Triple G
07-13-2003, 10:10 PM
It simply means that cloning and turning on/off the objects is quicker and less likely to give you unanticipated results, which is essential when you're working under a deadline. :)

Mattoo
07-14-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Dick Ma
that means the Lightwave Plugin is not stable?

If all you want to do is get a guy to pick up a ball and throw it then Parenter is gonna be fine.
I've used Parenter with some pretty wacky setups. Just last week I had a Bezier Bend target null dynamically parent to a Parent2Point null on a completely different character. I was expecting some grief but everything worked out first time, no hassles.

Ignore these old fuddy-duddies and their ancient ways :p

Jimstein
09-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Instead of starting a new thread I will post my problem here. I haven’t seen it asked or answered before so...

This is not about picking up a thing.

OK. As I have being used to work with Animation Masters excellent constraints I am mad about how LW works. I am trying to a simple thing as dynamically parent my IK hand goals to some body part. Shoulders hips or chest. But each time I try to do it my IK goals are offset or jumps to the pivot of that bone or null I am trying to make a dynamic parent.

There are many tools that should do the job:

Parenter
SimpleConstraints (point constraint)
RB_DynamicParenting
DynaParent

I have tried the first three without it did any good. I will try the last one... but I will be furious if it dont work.

Than I use Parenter I have a funny error coming up that say the thing I want to have as a dynamicparent already have a parent and the result will be unpredictable … Ofcourse the dynamic parent has a parent… its inside a hierarchy !
:thumbsdo

EDIT:

If I ever figure out this one I will make a tutorial. There is none on internet and there should be one in The Manual... Dynamic parents is not what LW do good.

probably this is the last problem I need to know a fix for to do some serious rock 'n roll with LW

kretin
09-24-2003, 04:12 AM
Hey Jimstein,

Check out my Zombie rig, a few posts down on the first page I explain how I did dynamic parenting for the IK hand controls.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37676

The basic trick is to parent the hand controls to a null, and then do your dynamic parenting on "that" null, rather than the individual hand nulls...

toonshady
09-24-2003, 06:45 AM
Yups, I bitched about the simpleconstraints, affectors, parenter not too long ago. I wasted a whole week trying out every combination of them inorder to setup a dynamic prop for my character. The limitation and unreliability of these tools used within a hiearchy is really a shame. Try daisy chaining a few combinations of simpleconstraints/affector in a hierarchy for a character for example. Such setup is not possible.

Jimstein
09-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Some trick Kritin! Not obvious at all you should do it that way. Have to try it later today.

I had to work around my problem by baking everything to FK. (I dont like the consept of baking)

I will try your setup to night.. Thanks again.

Jimstein
09-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Ok this is the correct method to do to make it work… make a parent for each(!) IK goal and use “parenter” on each of them. And yes, you have to put the ik goals outside of the character hierarchy. Alternatively you parent the character rig and the ik Goal Parents to a reference null. None of the other plugins i have mentioned will do the job correctly. Stick to parenter. But(!) You will still get some irritating error messages from parenter that you safely can ignore.

Jimstein
09-26-2003, 11:29 AM
What differs from kritins setup is that he used an expression connected to a slider to do the dynamic parenting but it would be tedious to set this up for every bodypart you like to parent the ik hand goals to. There is nothing wrong using both method in combination but it will be layered animation and a bit tricky if you don’t keep notes of what is going on when so I would say i prefer to use only parenter.

Jimstein
09-26-2003, 11:33 AM
The only time I recommend using simpleconstraints and affectors in this case is when the character have to pick something up. But RB_DynamicParenting is an even better tool for that.

Remi
09-26-2003, 05:04 PM
I've never come across a problem using dynamic parenting...but I have only used it maybe a dozen times....perhaps not enough to get the bugs out...hehe:)

Jimstein
10-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Lightwave could become ALOT better on dynamic parenting. Right now it sucks bigtime.

One off the low marks is that it only works with dynamic parents that have had all of its IK baked. When it comes to the constraints plugins they should never have been includes with the package. The constraints are to be ignored if you dont want another reason to bang you head against the wall. I only recommend to use parenter on some extra parent nulls.

I had the spine controlled by IK and could not bind the hand to the head because of that.

So that is the big secret… bake before you use any dynamic parenting plugin.

We can only hope there will be some improvement in then next release of LW. I don’t think I can elaborate enough how important I think this is.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.