PDA

View Full Version : Rendered colors different from working space colors

Klasz
04-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Hi, I'm new to After Effects
I have a problem concerning the colours. look at the pics below. left is the rendered sequence, which is washed out as you can see, whereas the work space display has nice contrasts and more vivid colors. This must be a classic issue, but I cannot identify the problem. Anyone knows this issue ?
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7916/testkdu.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testkdu.jpg)

Klasz
04-13-2009, 05:49 PM
what are the common settings in File/Project Parameters, concerning color profiles, in order to get rendered the same colors as the ones diplayed in the work area ?
When i save the RAM previs, it makes an avi in which the colors are ok.....

suztv
04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
We need more information really...

What codec did you use to render it? If you compressed it at all - that might have something to do with. H.264 WILL wash out the footage/video, other codecs not so much but each varies.

I'm not really sure that there is a work-around for it. But if you are rendering for productions (i.e. to burn to DVD), use an uncompressed codec for the render. And yes - the file will be impossibly huge.

***EDIT***

Here's a link to another forum with a similar question, with regard to H264...

http://exposureroom.com/members/MarcoMenestrina.aspx/tutorials/post/34/

Even though the instructions are for Final Cut Pro - you can still do the same in AfterEffects either place an adjustment layer on top of all of the layers in your comp and mess with the settings, or pre-comp your project and adjust it that way.

Klasz
04-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks, really.

Yes, i used H264. and i had no idea there were issues like this related to codecs. even with MPEG2 i have some color and contrast loss. H264 is the worse. the distortion is so heavy that i asked myself if there wasn't a gamma 1/2.2 problem hidden somewhere in the settings.
for info, i rendered all frames of all sequences as tiff, with no gamma incoporated. then in after effects, in project parameters, there is no color management enabled and the profile is the one of my monitor, which i calibrated. in render parameters, i checked the "keep rvb values".
the thing is when i render uncompressed with the default 'video for windows' codec, the colors are ok (and my final file weights 14 Gigs). Perhaps i should use this way to render the entire animation, and then i could use adobe encoder to H264 it (i don't know if it can do it... i'll see). I'll try tomorrow morining.
thanks for the link i go see it right now.

rawshark
04-13-2009, 10:37 PM
You can try Andrew Kramer's solution, which works for me:

Open it up in QuickTime and select “Show Movie Properties.”
Highlight the video track then click on the “Visual Settings” tab.
Towards the bottom left you should see “Transparency” with a drop-down box next to it. Select “Blend” from the menu then move the “Transparency Level” slider to 100%.
Choose “Straight Alpha” from the same drop-down and close the properties window and finally “Save.”

Klasz
04-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks rawshark

the method you described is also mentionned in the link suztv just gave me, along with other workarounds. another other interesting workaround is to export uncompressed hd then compress to h264 without applying any color correction.
i'll try this tomorrow.
you guys are really really helpfull. thanks

and good night

Klasz
04-14-2009, 09:07 AM
i tested the both methods and they both work.

it might be repetitive, but thanks again.

Have a nice day

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2009, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.