PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry help

choco22
07-12-2003, 08:03 AM
I'm new to lightwave and I've been trying to get symmetry down ... however when I'm splitting polys or knifing the symmetry does not translate to the corrensponding sides is this because I'm using LW 7.0 ??

roguenroll
07-12-2003, 08:08 AM
hmm, never really did that, but a few tests I didn't get it to work either, try the modes.

maybe you'll need to mirror after., ???

evenflcw
07-12-2003, 08:17 AM
LW Modelers symmetry is somewhat lacking. It pretty much only translates modify tools like Move, Scale, Rotate etc correctly across both sides. If you'd like to do cuts using symmetry you'll have to hunt down a custom plugin to do it for you or write one yourself :)

You'll find a LW plugin database at www.FLAY.com

rickycox
07-12-2003, 01:00 PM
Symmetry only works on the X Axis and only on portions of the model that are symmetrical. The object needs to be centrred before you activate symmetry and it doesn't work with things like the knife tool.

I've got some info about it on my tut site see page http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/page06.shtml

about half way down.

Kvaalen
07-12-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by riki
Symmetry only works on the X Axis and only on portions of the model that are symmetrical.

This is true other than the move tool. The object doesn't have to be symmetrical for it to work. ;)

ArneK
07-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Here's another related symmetry question:

Is it some plugin or way to restore symmetry once it's lost? Sometimes this happens when using smoothing etc.

richpr
07-12-2003, 02:21 PM
cm_FixSymmetry.ls

rickycox
07-12-2003, 02:25 PM
RH_fix_symmetry.ls is one possibility, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.

You can always do it manually and knife the object down the centre and mirro the other section in place.

choco22
07-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Thanks all for your replies :) I appreciate the insight I was watching a video tutorial and it seemed that it was possible but I guess not.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.