PDA

View Full Version : Painter or Photoshop

SeanW
05-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Hey I'm not looking to get into a which is better war but I wanna see what program everyone is textureing their models with. What tools are people using in those programs and why they chose what they chose? I have been using photoshop. Pretty much use the air brush and I love to use the speckle brushes on EVERYTHING. I got to see Don Seegmiller bust out some crazy stuff in painter. It looks like there are a lot of different brushes and options in that program not sure I wanna make the jump though.

tAstyBITs
05-09-2002, 02:26 AM
I've used painter a bit but mostly I use photoshop. Painter is great for simulating traditional mediums and I don't see why you couldn't use it for creating game textures. I fact I want to use it more but there are a few things that drive me nuts about it and I always go back to photoshop. The brushes are so complicated, there about about 12 catagories of brush tools each with about 20 to 30 diffrent behavor settings, and each setting has about 10 to 20 standard sub sets. A lot of the brush setting make no sense and it's hard to remember what brush setting you used last even when you finially find one that you can use. Not to mention the 10ish wacom setting for every possible pen angle. I find myself going crazy switching between brushes and find myself wasting lost of time just finding a brush I want to work with especially a simple airbrush tool. Also the layer functions aren't as powerful and as usefull as photoshop. Maybe a experienced Painter user will disagree about the layer stuff but photoshops layer functionality rocks and it makes up for brush settings it dosen't have.

If you can get a hold of photoshop 7 you see they have much more to choose from now they've added more brush setting and it's still fairly simple to understand and navigate. The nice thing about the two programs is they each do very diffrent things in very cool ways I have fun experimenting with Painter but I do my work in photoshop.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.