PDA

View Full Version : open to critique: cycles

dyimos
04-12-2009, 06:27 AM
I haven't done very much in the way of animation, but here are a few cycles(breathing, jumping, walking). Happy to get any pointers!

http://www.eryksmind.com/flash/

Freebirth
04-12-2009, 06:06 PM
On the breathing cycle I would suggest, rather than the head tilting up with each inhale, tilt it down, then back up on the exhale. That will illustrate more clearly the inwardness of the inhale and the release of the exhale.

On the jump it looks like there is a little stutter at the bottom of the jump. I don't know if that's from having one too many frames in the cycle or a weird curve somewhere.

On the walk, I like the feeling of weight you've given the character. It feels very powerful and lumbering. There is a pop on his right arm that you might want to look into. Also, did you use IK arms? The left arm looks strange because it doesn't have a swinging motion, he's just folding his elbow. The swing is easier to do with FK arms so if you were using IK, I can understand the difficulty. But keep tweaking it either way.

Good work so far!

dyimos
04-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Good pointers! I see what you are talking about and I'll get right on it! :P And yes IK is on the arms, I also had it on the legs but took it off due to the wondrous pops I was getting on.. I gather it was because of the short legs and huge boots(wish I could have thought of this as a problem while I was modeling the character but always something new to learn). Though it could also be the way I have the IK and bones. (ponders) Lightwave is the program I'm currently using..

danman86
04-17-2009, 04:19 PM
well isn't he a cute little warrior....uh it is a 'he' right?

as far as the animation goes. good start! Shall I break it down?

Idle:There seems to be an evident snap when the cycles link together, right where one ends and the next starts. You can especially notice it in the arms. Just make sure your tangents are meeting up and that your finish pose is the same as your starting pose. Looks good though. Very natural.

Jump(or more like Jumping jacks :P): seems to be no time for a decent push off here. It just looks like 'he' is a constant jumping spring. There's a decent hangtime in the feet, but the arms look like they just freeze and then continue. The head doing so far down and then up so quickly is very akward looking. I think this one mainly needs some more frames and some tweaking.

Walk with sword dragging: This one definitely has some weight to it. It has a nice feeling overall, but once again there are some issues with popping and linking the cycles together. Mainly in the right arm, the right leg, and the head. Just do another look through, similar to what I said about the idle. oh, and becareful with the sword. It doesn't seem to share the same weight as you character. It's kinda floating all around the fround. If it's really that heavy, it should just be following the character...and not going through the ground :P

Good start though on these. I thoroughly enjoy doong cycle animation myself, so I look forward to seeing these develop along with others. Keep it up :D

dyimos
04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
http://www.eryksmind.com/flash/ani_heavywalk.html

Alright, I got back on the animation. It took a bit, but I think it seems to be flowing better... I think.. (The tiny mid area and huge feet seems to be hard to deal with... ... Still working on the others and a new one.. and modeling.... :P I can't get away from modeling.... but ya... happy to get all the input I can (nods)

Thank many again!

and yes it is a 'he' named him Dul..

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.