PDA

View Full Version : Swirly, steamy, misty, vapor...

SyaPed
04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on creating this effect. I have a swamp surface that I'd like a misty type vapor slowly steaming and swirling from the surface. FumeFX seems like the best option and I'm playing around with that but it seems hard to steer it away from fire based effects.

Thanks for any help.

renaissance01
04-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey SyaPed. You could pull this effect off pretty easily with Fume. Just use a large grid shape which fits the shape of your swamp surface as your object source (or you could you use the actual swamp surface) Give the source a low temp and play with the smoke, turbulence, advection stride and smoke dissipation values. You could even simulate fuel to get more control over your effect but turn off render fire in the render tab. To break up and randomize the areas of steam, you could apply a noise map to your object source and turn on source from intensity. I'd throw a very subtle wind with some turbulence into the sim as well just to help integrate it into the surrounding environment. Hope I've helped. Good luck :)

SyaPed
04-12-2009, 01:50 AM
Hey thanks for the tips Alex, they helped a lot :)

This is what I have so far...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrP2ut_INRY

I'm pretty happy with how it's looking so far. But what would be your advice to slow everything down and give it a more sluggish, heavy movement? ...Soupy kinda, haha. Everything I try changes the shape too much.

Thanks again for any help.

PS: Mind if I ask if your working in Brisbane somewhere?

eldee
04-12-2009, 06:47 PM
you could always lower the time scale, that would make it appear more sluggish

renaissance01
04-12-2009, 11:22 PM
You could lower the temperature, time scale or raise the gravity although you have to be careful with time scale and temperature as you tend to lose alot of detail when values are too low.

shirak23
11-12-2009, 03:02 AM
I've been trying to create something similar. Is there any way you'd be willing to share your scene so I can get a better idea how it's done?

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2009, 03:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.