PDA

View Full Version : Magic hour trees...

Wesball
07-12-2003, 04:24 AM
I'm working on a new world.... one that exists only in trees... :)

I just rendered this test shot... any thoughts?

http://www.mindscheme.com/MagicTrees.jpg

sampi
07-12-2003, 05:14 AM
hi man
very nice idea .
i was in my way to make somthing like but i'm sure u will do it better .
i hope this will help

Wesball
07-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Cool.

Thanks, Sampi.

Thats good reference material. Only thing different in what I'm working on is there is no ground. ;)

Love to see what you come up with?

Finkster
07-12-2003, 07:21 AM
I really like the way the light and shadows play on the surface of the background trees. Maybe you could brighten the hot spots on the near trees to match those in the background.
What else do you plan to have in this world of trees?
Perhaps you should add a little bit of a dark green hue to all your surfaces as presumably they are under a canopy of leaves. You could achieve this through directional lights. Maybe lower your ambient lighting while you are at it - could give a nice dark and spooky feel to the scene. I just feel it should have much more of a dark feel to the scene, considering how dense the trees are.
I also notice that you can see the blue of the sky all the way to the bottom of the image. If I was you I would cut off the blue background after the first top quarter of the image, suggesting that light from the sky is lost in the maze of trees. Right now it looks as if after a few rows of trees the forest stops, leading to a more open environment.
Appart from those tweaks I really like your work. I wish I had had that idea :thumbsup:
Good luck!

aurora
07-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Three things struck me with this image. First, the volumetric lighting is killer hot! Second, except for the one branch on the left center I don't see any branch till the far background. Third just a question, the tree were that branch mentioned above intersects with the tree on the right, whats with the blue edging? Artifact maybe? Just curious.

HowardM
07-12-2003, 11:25 PM
very nice atmosphere, youre pretty good at that!
but it looks like cylinders, where are the branches?
and yes why are some blue?
:)

Bytehawk
07-12-2003, 11:49 PM
here's a nice reference photo I shot 6 months ago

http://users.skynet.be/bytehawk/fotos/DSC01327.JPG

Wesball
07-13-2003, 12:23 AM
yep... I agree with you all.

This was just a test.... only took a few minutes of playing around.

They look like cylinders becuase they are. :)

Anyway, this is some concept art for a movie idea I'm developing... its a fantasy world that exsists high in trees... in tree houses ;) .... the ground is never seen.

I'm working now on figuring out the best way to do some branches and stuff. I'd love to find an L-script that will bevel a poly out and split it to form branches... someone should write one if there isn't one... call it brancher. ;)

anyway thanks for the comments guys.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.