PDA

View Full Version : Units and Camera distance

ApocX
04-11-2009, 03:10 AM
I've been forced by my employer to use Modo. I used to use lightwave a long time ago, so parts of it are alright. But theres no way in hell I'll be as fast in this as I would be in Maya / Max. Anyways - I'm trying my best to speed up my workflow with this software, and I have one question:

Why, does Modo insist on creating everything in massive unit scales? when I create a primitive, it's something stupid like 5km. I've setup the default units to centimeters (the scale is 1 cm = 1 game unit). But if I zoom into the viewport to that distance, the grid clips itself out, and it's near impossible to work with.

It's the latest version of modo... and afaik, theres no custom plugins / ui mods that could be screwing with things. Going through the videos and docs right now, but I haven't come across an answer yet...

BDismukes
04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I haven't been forced into a production environment with Modo so I've been able to take a good deal of time to figure it out. One thing that will definitely make you nuts is the surprising lack of decent reference material. While it's true that there is a wealth of training videos that cover just about everything, combing through them to find the answer to questions like yours can be maddening. I'd say that looking beyond the Luxology site for other sources, one of which is http://www.vertexmonkey.com/ where you'll find a boatload of scripts for just about anything and tutorials on how to install and use them. Hopefully they will help smooth out that learning curve, though in my case I find that they confuse and bewilder me as often as help, but I'm still very new to SDS. NURBS and solids however...

But that's another story.

Bd.

ApocX
04-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Seems I've figured things out - not quite sure what I did, but my last ditch effort of changing layouts / messing with settings seems to have corrected the problem. Scary, as I don't know exactly how to fix it if it happens again :P

Thanks for the reply - apologies if I sounded bitter. I'm sure everyone has suffered the same level of frustration when changing workflows to suit a different pipeline. I'm sure I could have modelled this prop 10 times over in Max by now...lol. Oh well, perhaps when all is said and done, I'll have a new favorite modeller.

Thanks for the script link - reminds me of the good old days of Flay.com, and Lightwave :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2009, 08:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.