PDA

View Full Version : Motionbuilder + messiah: is it possible?

carcorde
07-12-2003, 02:50 AM
Our studio uses Lightwave for all of our animation and visualization work. We also own Messiah:animate, which is great.
But many of our animators apparently think they would feel more comfortable animating in Motionbuilder. So, do we just go ahead and buy Motionbuilder (great deal, by the way) and use Messiah only for Cloth simulations, musclebones and the like?

Is it even possible to do that?

And don't know anything about motionbuilder besides what I've read, but it seems much easier than Messiah for animation, but doesn't do softbody deformation, and NT's motiondesigner, well, really needs an upgrade IMHO.

So, can I mix them both, getting the best of both worlds?

Thanks

Mechis
07-12-2003, 03:05 PM
I dunno how Messiah works, but couldn't you just export to .fbx from lightwave, animate in Motionbuilder, merge back into lightwave and then export the animation to Messiah? Maybe you could just buy the personal edition to try it out and then if it works, your company could buy the full edition.

Mechis
07-12-2003, 03:07 PM
btw- Motionbuilder is super fast! Amazing

carcorde
07-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Hey, thanks for your reply!

Yes, that's what I thought the workflow would be. I think it should work just like that. It would be great if it did.

Yeah, I think I'll get the personal edition and see how it works.
I heard great things about Motionbuilder, and, even though I am a Messiah guy and vouch for it any time, even I got curious about MB and its famed speed.

But I have only one question: since MB doesn't have, as far as I know, softbody dinamics and cloth simulation and all that, you Motionbuilder users have to always rely on MotionDesigner to do that?

LFGabel
07-13-2003, 03:07 AM
Messiah is a displacement plugin, meaning it moves the points in the mesh only. This is why people who use endomorphs natively in LW after animating in Messiah have a lot of problems.

More here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pmGmessiah/message/26958?threaded=1

Motionbuilder on the other hand, uses Liightwave's bone system. then when animation comes out of Motionbuilder, it is baking the bone rotations. There's no displacement plugin.

I too have messiah and I guess you could setup in LW, export to MB and animate, then go back to LW, then convert to a messiah scene for the dynamics... the only thing is your scene will become a messiah displacement scene. Messiah bones don't "exist" in LW.

It would certainly save you time rigging, as MB has a very solid rig that takes minutes to set up.

Hope that helps.

carcorde
07-13-2003, 04:10 AM
Yes, it was helpful. We'll give MotionBuilder a try, and keep Messiah only for the dynamics.
Who knows if after LW8 we'll even need it (It would be a shame, though. Its a great software, and expensive too :) )

3DDave
07-13-2003, 07:13 AM
You can export a BHV file from Motion Builder and apply it to a rigged character in Messiah and then send it back to Lightwave with the Messiah dynamics.

yog
07-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Messiah has serious problems communicating with all the software it is meant to (with the exception (mainly) of Lightwave).

PMG have admitted this is a problem, and apart from blaming the other software companies, have hinted that there will likely be a new version of the transfer route, possibly through a new type of file type. A couple people asked if the new file type would be FBX, but on that PMG were silent.

So PMG might be going the FBX route (I hope they do), but the wording made it sound as though this would be some time off.
Let's just hope the connectivity with other programs doesn't get shelved for an indeterminate time, like the renderer.:shrug:

Michel Besner
07-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Just to be sure that there is no rumors going on :

1. Currently there is no discussion between Kaydara and PMG about FBX support for Messiah.

2. If PMG want to support FBX, they can easily contact me ...

Thank you

M.

3DDave
07-13-2003, 08:56 PM
OT:

Are there any discussions going on between Kaydara and Luxology about FBX support in what they are cooking up?

LFGabel
07-13-2003, 10:51 PM
If there are, I'd think they'd all be under NDA... Why bother asking.

I heard the Lux was working on a rendering package for multiple 3d animation packages... If that's true, there'd be no need for a kaydara/Luxologoly connection.

3DDave
07-13-2003, 11:05 PM
From the recent Apple G5 launch it just appeared that they are working on something that may connect to other host applications.

Never hurts to ask a question, even if it doesn't get answered the way you like.

LFGabel
07-13-2003, 11:12 PM
That's true. Didn't mean to slam your question...

Cman
07-14-2003, 07:44 PM
I'd like to know if MB will introduce realtime-dynamics?

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.