PDA

View Full Version : Help on modeling low-poly hands

Jonny Bubonic
05-07-2002, 10:47 AM
Hello all. Just looking for any tips on modeling hands for game characters. Specifically, I would like to see wireframes so's I can check out their construction.
I've been modeling all the in-game characters for our current project, but so far they have all had "mitts" for hands...you know, a separate thumb, and all the fingers bunched into one mass, occasionally with a separate index finger (for pulling triggers;) ). I don't find this a problem, but now I'm working on a Boss-type character who has individual fingers. This character also walks on his hands (think Sebulba from Episode 1), so its important to make sure that they animate well as well as look good. Any help appreciated,
-JB

P.S. I've been pretty sparing with the polycount so far, and have got loads to spare before I hit my budget, so bare this in mind in your many, many responses :p
Probably anything up to 400 polys per hand would be OK, by the way...

Rob3D31
05-07-2002, 08:42 PM
I did a bit of research on the same thing, check out the hands in Jedi Knight ll. The Hand I built below weighs in at 293 triangles.

The wrist needs some points pulled.

Shogun
05-08-2002, 01:17 AM
Hey, just thought I'd pitch in. These weigh in at 456 polys each, so maybe a little over budget. They're not as clean as Rob's either, partly because I have triangulated the mesh, but also because they were for a competition entry that wasn't going to be seen too close up, (at least not his hands,) & the model had a large polycount to play with.
If nothing else, they'll serve as a comparison. (or maybe as a bad example...)

Jonny Bubonic
05-08-2002, 09:49 AM
Cheers, guys. Very handy (ouch, sorry). I did manage to muddle my way through it fairly satisfactorily, but those JKII style hands are definitely the way to go. The character is only at first pass stage at the moment, so I'll be looking to replace any bits I'm unhappy with later on.

Thanks again,
-JB

Jonny Bubonic
05-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Oh, by the way, where did you get the JK model viewer/editor Rob? I work in Maya, but I've also got GMax as well, so if it supports either of those I wouldn't mind taking a look at some of their characters.

Rob3D31
05-09-2002, 01:26 AM
I dont have a editor/viewer, I checked them out in game.

Goodluck!

tpe
05-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Did you post on polycount too?, if you did sorry for repeating my self.

These are a little over i think 450 per hand, you can download the model too if you like, i can also probably find a lightwave file for you if you want?

Copy and paste of other thread, sorry lazy today

The way you model it will depend very much on what you want to do with it. If it is for a game then you dont really want to spend more than a few tris on it, and then you will probably model one hand in a fist and the other cupped with no finger seperations, if you want to model each finger but still low poly then you should look at how you are going to map them. If you are going to do hi polly then you should probably model it so as it is possible to put one textrure on the top and one on the bottom so as the seams are hidden by the fingers. there are some tutorials onwww.flay.com and 3dworldmag.co.uk for high poly (I am not sure the second one is still up), if you want to see a medium poly mesh then look here
http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/resume/Images/handscreen.jpg

Download

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/downloads/index.asp?model=791

tpe

suck
05-13-2002, 04:55 AM
rob3d31...

are those hands 260polys or 260tris? they look a little more like 260polys. i wouldnt care but they look awesome for 260tris. at that res, i couldn't get away with any more than 4 sided fingers with no real joints, just a single span at each knuckle.

Rob3D31
05-13-2002, 10:07 AM
Hey, sorry for the reply delay. The hand is 293 triangles...I read it wrong before....if you hack off the wrist, which you might be able to get away with it drops to 271.

Goodluck

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.