PDA

View Full Version : Deform one object with another?

ngrava
07-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Deform one object with another?

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of a displacement plugin that alows you to deform the mesh of one object with the mesh of another? The deforming mesh needs to be different then the deformed mesh like the Wrap deformer in Maya.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-=GB=-

twidup
07-12-2003, 01:06 AM
KO_Polyfit does this, works fairly good too

ngrava
07-12-2003, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! But, that's not exactly what I was looking for. PolyFit is more of a collision detection plugin. What I need is to deform one object with another like as if it was a custom lattice. Does that make any sense?

Thanks again.

-=GB=-

Steve Warner
07-12-2003, 02:34 AM
Hmmm... To the best of my knowledge, there aren't tools like the one you're describing. But Faulkermano's Bone Lattice might work for you:

http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/

DStorm also has an older plugin called Lattice. I tried it with 7.5, however, and it crashed the program.

Worley's Poke plugin does allow you to use one object to deform another, however it's not really a lattice tool.

http://www.worley.com/polk/polk_poke.html

Are any of these what you're looking for?

ngrava
07-12-2003, 03:10 AM
Hmm. That bone lattice would work if I wasn't trying to use an object that had baked motion on it as a deformer. It's sort of the same thing with Poke as well. I guess it was just not ment to be.

Thanks for all the help guys!

-=GB=-

uncommongrafx
07-12-2003, 04:48 AM
People don't seem to realize there is something of a lattice deformer in lw: md_scan and metaplug.

Did you know you could record an objects displaced points with md_scan which can then be applied to ANY POINT ORDERED object with metaplug? (I believed this is the right name of the plug.)

It's pretty well documented but not is so many words.
Try it.

ngrava
07-12-2003, 10:54 AM
YES!! That's it! I just tried it and it worked. Thank you soooo much! I knew there must be some way to do it. this is so cool. I am eternally grateful to you uncommongrafx

-=GB=-

faulknermano
07-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by uncommongrafx
People don't seem to realize there is something of a lattice deformer in lw: md_scan and metaplug.

yep. i wish this lw ability more transparent.

uncommongrafx
07-12-2003, 03:40 PM
And we wish you weren't in retirement. ;)

Happy to help out!

aurora
07-12-2003, 04:20 PM
uncommongrafx - do you mean using the MD_MetaPlug_Morph plugin with MD_Scan or just the normal MD_MetaPlug? It sounds like you need to use MD_MetaPlug when using MD_MetaPlug_Morph is that true?

faulknermano
07-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by aurora
uncommongrafx - do you mean using the MD_MetaPlug_Morph plugin with MD_Scan or just the normal MD_MetaPlug? It sounds like you need to use MD_MetaPlug when using MD_MetaPlug_Morph is that true?

not uncommongrafx, but i dont think so.

And we wish you weren't in retirement.

:wavey:

Steve Warner
07-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Hey Robert! Nice tip! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.