PDA

View Full Version : Deversifying application knowledge? survey

sqitso
07-12-2003, 12:15 AM
Hey guys.. How do you all feel about deversifying your application knowledge? Do you think it is beneficial to learn new animation tools like Motionbuilder or Messiah as opposed to mastering animation in one specific tool like Lightwave?

The reason I ask is because I fear that my very strong knowledge of animation in Lightwave, may hender job opporotunities. Would it be more beneficial to learn to animate good with several tools, or be a total master at only one?

Which do you feel is the most beneficial?

Just curious

Flashfire
07-12-2003, 12:27 AM
If you animate well, the application will not always be a deciding factor when it comes time to hire you. Regardless of your application of preferance, some studios will re-train you on their software if you've shown very strong skills on your demo reel.

It is important to learn the theory behind animation and then learn to apply that theory on a rig using the tools required to get the job done. It doesn't hurt you to be diverse in your application knowledge in any way; however, by broadening your skills, you take time away from the one thing that really matters - your animation skill.

Cheers!

lwbob
07-12-2003, 04:29 AM
If you animate well, the application will not always be a deciding factor when it comes time to hire you. Regardless of your application of preferance, some studios will re-train you on their software if you've shown very strong skills on your demo reel.

This is quickly becoming history. Before I hooked up with my current partner I kept hearing that "We use Maya" and that was the end of it. Most companies both of us were talking to were too busy with their production to train anyone. True you may be good with one app, chances are there are plenty more people just as good that know the app used by employers.

SplineGod
07-12-2003, 04:53 AM
I think its more important to just be very good at what you do.
Pixar stresses that artists be good artists rather then good techies. Jeremy Birn recommends mastering one program at least before moving on to other ones. If youre a good animator picking up maya, motion builder or messiah should be a snap (everyone says theyre easy to learn right?). Ive seen plenty of people get hired to animate in Maya or whatever based on a good LW reel.
Typically if you are strictly animating that means someone else is rigging. Once something is set up its usually pretty easy to animate it in any package (provided you can animate). :)

faulknermano
07-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by sqitso
Hey guys.. How do you all feel about deversifying your application knowledge? Do you think it is beneficial to learn new animation tools like Motionbuilder or Messiah as opposed to mastering animation in one specific tool like Lightwave?

The reason I ask is because I fear that my very strong knowledge of animation in Lightwave, may hender job opporotunities. Would it be more beneficial to learn to animate good with several tools, or be a total master at only one?

Which do you feel is the most beneficial?

Just curious

i suppose i could say you should learn to learn, and learn quickly and deeply. you should learn other packages as well. in a perfect world employers will look at your strengths and wont care about the package. but that isnt always the case.

i could also say that neither is more beneficial than the other; learn to be creative, and learn all the apps that are available to you.

aurora
07-12-2003, 04:08 PM
I think that the most important thing is to first learn theory and learn it to the hilt. Once you truely understand the theory understand how to use it in whatever your app of choice is and learn all the different ways of playing with it. That will apply a base to your theoritcal knowledge. From there learn what you will/can from other apps. First, that gives you a broader base to show potential future jobs. But it also shows you new insights you might not have thought about before. I run into this all the time with LW and Maya. I try something in Maya. Later I come happily back home to LW to work on something, realize its not working the way I want it to, then I remember that I can do it this way in Maya now lets translate that to LW and Bham a new tech I might never have thought about is added to my arsenal.

Miyazaki
07-12-2003, 08:02 PM
I`ve read a very interesting interview with Victor Navone. He was hired by Pixar because of his strong animation skills, not for his software knowledge.
He`s an Animation: Master user, a programm that is barely used in professional production pipelines. For PIXAR, it may be different elsewhere, talents seems to be much more important than technical skills. But I dunno say he hasn`t ;) or that technical skills aren`t as important for others. It`s just an example.
Read the interview and check out his website and FAQ.
interview (http://www.3dyanimacion.com/entrevistas/entrevistas.cfm?link=vnavoneeng)
Website (http://www.navone.org/HTML/Index.htm)
I could be wrong, but the animation process(not rigging) seems to be one of the most program independent parts. Take Richard Williams 'The Animator`s Survival Kit' for example (Thanks to policarpo for the tip :thumbsup: ). So much similarities between classical and computer animations.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.