PDA

View Full Version : high to low-poly environment modeling for games

BillSmithGH
04-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Hi, I was wondering if there's any good tutorials floating around that explains the best techniques for projecting HP models onto LP ones for use in game engines. The only tutorials I've found for this only seem to show the simplest scenario in which you chamfer the edge loops of a cylinder to keep them sharper when you subdivide.

The main question I have is how to deal with subdivisions on a Low poly model where I use alot of tris(as opposed to quads). When I subdivide it, it can get pretty hairy in spots and I usually find myself doing alot of painstaking vert welding in trouble areas. (or just fixing up the normal maps in photoshop)

Do you make a copy of your low poly and totally work it over into quads and then subdivide it? Do you just take the hit on your tricount and keep the lowpoly in quads?

Any advice or tutorial links on improving efficiency here would be awesome

patient09
04-11-2009, 04:44 PM
i think the eat3d pillar tutorial is what you're looking for.

http://eat3d.com/pillar

BillSmithGH
04-13-2009, 12:08 PM
thanks I just got it.

sabertooth
04-21-2009, 06:14 AM
ya that pillar exercise is a good one. i have done it myself. also, with games these days poly count has actually gone out the door. plus chances are if you putting it in an engine its probably unreal, and it can take as many as you give it. The only thing i can really say is, use the polys where needed. Model the shit out of things that are eye level. objects that are higher can be lower poly if they are not going to be a focus. model smart and use it where you need it, there are plenty of things that can be faked in the texture process, but if you can see it in a sillouette(spelling) then model it, if not, texture

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2009, 06:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.