PDA

View Full Version : Modeling an iPOD/HELP!!!

Jay119
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi.

I'm a beginner using Maya and had a question, what tools or methods could I use to have the curvature of an iPOD video (5th Generation) on all 4 ends?

I've tried using the CV line tool to draw out the basic outline of the iPOD and extrude it out for the shape but it won't allow me to extrude. I'm thinking it might be my shape is not all the way closed.

If anyone can help me on getting down the basic shape, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

sabertooth
04-21-2009, 06:06 AM
well lets see. The way i would model it is with the box tool then chamfer the edges as needed. i woud maybe find a front/side picture of the ipod in question and then have it in the front/side viewports. maybe if you posted some pics of what your having problems with would be easier for others to help with.

Jay119
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Here are renders of what I've done. Trying to figure out how to do the button located on the top left hand side and holes for earphones on the right.

Added some pics of an actual ipod so you can see what I'm talking about.

Jay119
04-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Here are more

sabertooth
04-22-2009, 05:55 AM
well if poly count isnt an issue, i would just use boolean to make the ear phone hole. i would do the same for the on/off swith. make the shape of the switch with a box then bevel the corvers to get that elongated oval shape. copy it then use face select and make the copied shape a little thicker. place the thicker one where you need it, boolean then place the thinner one in the on/off position.
thats just one way you could. also, i would bevel edges so you dont have any sharp edges, works well for lighting when your done, you get alot of nice definition from beveled edges

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2009, 05:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.