PDA

View Full Version : What to do after graduation...

Kaneage
04-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Hey,

I'm currently in my second year doing Multimedia at Nottingham Trent (UK). I'd ideally like to follow on to character animation.

I have a few choices in mind to do after I graduate, either go to Bournemouth for a masters in animation, or follow onto a similar 12 week course in Denmark. I've looked at AnimationMentor, would love to do that but it's far too expensive.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me? or have any other options I could consider?

Thanks!

JesseGraffam
04-10-2009, 06:22 AM
if your work is good enough, why not try to enter the industry. You'll learn more on the job in one month than you will in 1 year of school.

eldee
04-10-2009, 10:46 AM
your reel is everything. there is no company out there that will ever look at your transcripts.. they just don't care. You could have straight A's and still be a terrible animator, they want evidence that you understand the concepts of animation. If you know how to animate- put a reel together, just some standard exercises.. you don't have to do a pixar style short film. IE: box lift, run cycle (relative and in place), emotion switches (or gear change, depending on what you call it), etc.

long story short, if you can animate already, there's nothing an extra year of school is going to give you that you don't already have.

PS: you mentioned animation in your post, so I assume you're either studying or interested in animation.. but if you're going for compositing, modeling, technical, whatever.. the same thing applies.

DanielWray
04-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I agree with the above, if you believe your work is strong enough then put a demo reel together. However if you think that you need to learn more in order to be more confident when putting your reel together and applying for jobs then a further year of studying purely animation would be very good.

You wont get on the job experience from it, but you will have a year (or 12 weeks etc) to study more into animation and develop your understanding and skill set.

Your website is pretty impressive by the way, love the design of it :)

Kaneage
04-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I understand the amount of competition that's out there when it comes to the 3D industry and I guess it is really all down to the talent. Cheers Daniel8488 for the website comment, appreciated :)

My current animation skills need improving but at the moment I'm focusing on the core fundements, i.e. weight distribution, posing and acting. I guess I'll have a reel done by this time next year!

My Blog: http://bombfish.com/blog

hayashiox
04-12-2009, 06:41 PM
if your work is good enough, why not try to enter the industry. You'll learn more on the job in one month than you will in 1 year of school.

I tell you this, schools will never teach you new things. Unless the teacher is working in companies part time and teaching.

uttam007
04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
yes .. whistling woods international ... here is the link .. ask the counselor ... u ll have a clear picture ..http://www.whistlingwoods.net/main.asp

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2009, 03:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.