PDA

View Full Version : converting quicktime to sequence

royter
04-09-2009, 04:13 PM
how can i convert a quicktime movie to a series of frames without loosing any image quality?

Makaze
04-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I think most video editing programs can do that. I use quicktime player (not sure if its restricted to the pro verison). Export as image sequence, make sure you have it set to highest depth, and choose TGA or TIF format.

royter
04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I think most video editing programs can do that. I use quicktime player (not sure if its restricted to the pro verison). Export as image sequence, make sure you have it set to highest depth, and choose TGA or TIF format.

does this preserve the image quality?
or there is an automatic compression applied to the frames?

LordSaddler
04-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Tiffs sometimes uses zip or jpg compression - this can be turned off in export dialog. Tga is limited to 8-bit, but since quicktime normally only uses 8-bit, there should be no loss (exception are some special 10-Bit codecs, lika AJAcona).

General advise: just load your image sequence and the orinal clip into your compositing/editing tool and comopse them in difference mode - if its all black there is no visible compression. ;)

DoubleSupercool
04-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Quicktime Pro does it. Worth $30 to get the pro version. It will be "lossless" in the sense that it will output frames based on the original quicktime. Soooo, if you have a super compressed h264 quicktime, exporting as a sequence won't suddenly make them better quality.

royter
04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Tiffs sometimes uses zip or jpg compression - this can be turned off in export dialog. Tga is limited to 8-bit, but since quicktime normally only uses 8-bit, there should be no loss (exception are some special 10-Bit codecs, lika AJAcona).

General advise: just load your image sequence and the orinal clip into your compositing/editing tool and comopse them in difference mode - if its all black there is no visible compression. ;)

Thanks alot for the great tip.

Quicktime Pro does it. Worth $30 to get the pro version. It will be "lossless" in the sense that it will output frames based on the original quicktime. Soooo, if you have a super compressed h264 quicktime, exporting as a sequence won't suddenly make them better quality.

ok great!

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.