PDA

View Full Version : Trouble rigging eyes

Tim Deneau
07-11-2003, 08:44 PM
I'm having some trouble trying to rig my first character, everything seems to be working properly except for the eyes. If they aren't parented to anything they don't follow the head when moving it, the eyes just stay still and clip through it. If I parent the eye bones to the head bone, they fly off and do their own thing (re picture).

I'm sort of just picking apart and following the 'Zombie Rig' I found in the lw tutorial section. That's about the best I can explain the problem, does that make sense?

http://www.timdeneau.com/temp/damnit.jpg

3DDave
07-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Here's a tricky way of setting up eyes. Add the eyes to the base model and create a 100% weight map for each eye; left_eye and Right_eye. Create a bone for each eye with the pivot point in the center of the eyeball.

In layout set the bone to 1/64 or higher fall off and set the weightmap for each bone to the weight map of each eye. This keeps the eyes in the head at all times and the eyes will only rotate when you rotate each eye bone. You can then setup a target for each eye and a master target that each eye target is parented to and drive your characters eyes by moving the master eye target around. Also parent the master eye target to the head bone and then you can rotate the head and the eyes will stay fixed.

One way in a nut shell.

Dreamwave
07-11-2003, 09:20 PM
it seems that your eye's pivot points are placed wrong, place them inside the eyes, to make them rotate on their own spot

Chagidiel
07-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Your problem with the eyes flying off "doing their own thing" seems to depend on either (as Dreamwave said) their pivots are not placed in the center of the eyes OR/AND that you do not have "Parent in place" checked (General options).

A very simple way to set up an eye-rig for you:

- Each eye neds to be an own object (or layer), each with it´s pivot centered in the middle of the eyeball.

- In layout, make sure "Parent in place" is checked and parent each eyeball to the bone controlling your (object´s ;) ) head.

- Add a null and place it somewhere in the vicinity of the eyes. Make this null the goal object for each eye and tell them to "macth goal orientation".

- Thats it. Now when you rotate the null the eyes will follow. If you rotate the headbone, the eyes should stay put in their holes... but fixed in their rotation.

Hope this might help.
Good luck.

Tim Deneau
07-12-2003, 12:48 AM
Thank you guys so much, works great!

I put both eyes on different layers and moved the pivot points accordingly.

Carm3D
07-12-2003, 07:21 AM
There's more than one way to skin a cat..

If you move your eyeballs to the right and left one or two meters so that there is an eye to either side of your character, you can add your bones to them with limited influence.

Scale the max. radius so the capsule-shape encompasses the eye and nothing else. Then set the min. radius to the same value. After you hit r to activate the bone / record it's rest length, move the bones back one or two meters (the exact opposite distance the eyes were done) to place them back in the head. You might want to do this on frame 1 and keep them in place on frame 0, just in case you need to re-record rest lengths on your bones in the future.

Okay, so maybe doing the weight map thing is easier, but Messiah doesn't support weight maps so this is what I gotta do. It works just as well.

This is how I'm boning my fishie's eyes... and teeth.

Cheers

:wavey:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.