PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars Cartoon Previewed

RobertoOrtiz
07-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Quote:
"Reporters from the TV Critics Association apparently got the first look at the Clone Wars Cartoon series appearing on Cartoon Network this fall. Zap2It reports: "

>>Link<< (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=21433)
-R

gnarlycranium
07-13-2003, 09:38 PM
...I have a bad feeling about this..... :surprised

Hookflash
07-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Well, it can't possibly be any worse than Ep2;)

My Fault
07-14-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Gnarly Cranium
...I have a bad feeling about this..... :surprised

<sarcasm on>Yeah, what the heck does Genndy Tartakovsky know about animation</sarcasm off>

Crazy Cranium, don't doubt the man that brought you "Samurai Jack" and "Dexter's Laboratory." :thumbsup:

Hookflash
07-14-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by My Fault
<sarcasm on>Yeah, what the heck does Genndy Tartakovsky know about animation</sarcasm off>

Crazy Cranium, don't doubt the man that brought you "Samurai Jack" and "Dexter's Laboratory." :thumbsup:

Ok, I need to know once and for all: What the heck is Samurai Jack? I keep hearing people rave about it. I'm assuming it's an anima cartoon of some sort, but what makes it stand out?

Kricket
07-14-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Hookflash
Ok, I need to know once and for all: What the heck is Samurai Jack? I keep hearing people rave about it. I'm assuming it's an anima cartoon of some sort, but what makes it stand out?

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/samuraijack/index.html

It's not anime.. anime-inspired maybe. It's a great action cartoon with a whole lotta style.

My Fault
07-14-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Hookflash

Eek, ack, what are you talking about man? Samurai Jack is one of the finest cartoons of the last few years. Extremely strong design, great animation, stylish backgrounds, moody music, fine storytelling, etc, etc, etc. There are some people who don't like the show but they are blind imbeciles IMNSHO. With people like Mike Manley, Lynne Naylor and other insanely talented people on board it is quite a piece of work. Check out the Cartoon Network and rent the DVD of the origin movie. And if you don't like it, take up another craft as you have no taste at all! :p

xzevlin
07-14-2003, 03:33 AM
You can find alot of the first season episodes on Kazaa. There is a petition online to get them to release the seasons on DVD, but as of now I think only the first 4 episodes are available.

Here's a good Jack site that includes a bio on Genndy Tartakovsky. http://shogunofsorrow.com/

LucentDreams
07-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Not only is tartakovsky in charge of it, but the lead effects animator is Michel Gange (lead effects Osmosis jones, Iron giant) You've goty two of the best and most stylised animators left finally working on a series together, as much as I hate the new starwars franchise, I'm really looking forward to the cartoon series, I just hope the writing can keep up with the animation and not take away from it or downright ruin the cartoons.

as for samurai jack, Watch episodes 18,19,amnd 14 for some amazing animation writing and style. episode 19 is about a few shorts which are jacks memories to himself as a kid when he discover's the ruins of his village. May not be actin loaded like a lot of the episodes, but man is it an effective, revealing, emotional episode, Samurai jack has to be one of the best developed characters (storywise) in broadcast animation.

Cooolest thing about the Samurai Jack series is that there isn't any realy script writing part of it, The storyboard artists are the writers, and they develop the story throught the boarding process. Part of the reson I think samurai jack has so many fantastic montages and whole episodes with no more then say 20 lines of dialogue, something that is very impressive since we are talking about a TV cartoon which has to keep kids attention and from what I"ve seen with my niece and litle cousins, seems to do it very well. Mean while they are very entertaining for us adults.

gnarlycranium
07-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Now... don't get me wrong, and don't shoot me into the sun with a cannon lest I infect the rest of the populace with freakish stupidity-- of COURSE I love Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab.....

BUT.......

Those both have a very distinct and primarily COMICAL style that I cannot associate with anything Star Wars related in my head without the gears of my brain seizing up and crunching in panic and making EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKGHGGKK!! noises.

I can pray that the guy is good enough to step out of his established style and do something awesome... but the sheer existence of Jar-Jar, and flashbacks to the Ewok cartoons *shudder!* are NOT helping me.

Oh man. :argh: I need to go sit down.

LucentDreams
07-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Yeah I totaly know where your coming from, but don't mess with the ewoks cartoon man Dem's fighting words, I loved them as a child of the eighties :/ Looking back atall those cartoons man were 90% of them horrible. They'll always hold a place deep down though (somewhere near the colon I guess)

xzevlin
07-14-2003, 05:02 PM
To me, it's two of my favourite things in the entire universe coming together. It's like Star Wars Lego- what a great idea that was.

If anything, it will let us have a look at Star Wars through another creator's eyes- which is something we really haven't had since Kershner and Marquand directed Empire and Jedi. And there will undoubtedly be lots of explosions :thumbsup:

My Fault
07-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Gnarly Cranium
Those both have a very distinct and primarily COMICAL style that I cannot associate with anything Star Wars related in my head without the gears of my brain seizing up and crunching in panic and making EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKGHGGKK!! noises.

I can pray that the guy is good enough to step out of his established style and do something awesome... but the sheer existence of Jar-Jar, and flashbacks to the Ewok cartoons *shudder!* are NOT helping me.

Oh man. :argh: I need to go sit down.

If you ever get in a comic book store, pick up a copy of Star Wars Tales. It's a great little anthology series and some of the best ones are comical and cartoony.

And I had forgotten about Gagne, that guys is AWESOME!!!

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Also the current storyline in Star Wars Empire is quite good.
It tells the tale of Biggs from his academy days, right up to the battle of Yavin.

-R

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.