PDA

View Full Version : Character: Battlebone and Morning

doghat
07-11-2003, 08:35 PM
http://www.squirreldome.com/Bad_04.jpg

These are two characters from my 11 year project Silver Squirrel. The novel will be available shortly.
They are a combination of pencil/paper and Project Dogwaffle.

(Hope I get the link right this time)

p0lym0rph
07-12-2003, 10:37 AM
verry nice :thumbsup:

Rogosh
07-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Nice work, but could we possibly have more information on this project? 11 years is a long time to be working on a project. Will be very interesting to see the work :)

doghat
07-12-2003, 06:47 PM
To put it in historical context, this project started in 1992, rouphly the hay-day of the Amiga personal computer. I was living in the loft of a cypress home in Florida at the time, winding up a short animated film called Billy Meets Pumpkin Head. Every day, the squirrels would visit me at my window, rolling their acorns down the incline of the roof, when it occurred to me they would be neat for my next short. I decided on a name shortly after - Silver Squirrel (borrowed form Turbo Silver, a 3d package on the amiga)
In 93, I did 2 minutes of 2d animation while concurrently working on the story. Unfortunately, the story started to get out of hand and I had 12 minutes worth of animation to do before I new it.
Well, time moved on. I went to work at a game company, Gorilla System where I first seriously started working in 3d. I still wanted to do the short, but the story was rapidly growing into a novel, and the Amiga platform that my work depended on was seeing hard times. It was a fluke that I decided to write my own paint program to carry on the style of work I did. http://www.squirreldome.com/cyberop.htm
It wasn't until I went to work at Foundation Imaging on series television that I decided that it would be better to do Silver in 3d. Unfortunately at the time, the technology was not up to the task. I spent the time learning and developing methods to do hair (the motion blur hair trick http://www.squirreldome.com/shorthair.jpg), Dynamics (Parenting goals with time offset to a skeleton -- I called it the Amazing Bunny Ear Trick), and ways to do foliage ( http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/whatsnew/1_6/optipustics/index.html ).
Unfortunately all of these gags had some problems but at least they went in my bag of tricks. Eventually Sasquach and other hair plugins came out and I saw some hope to do the 3d stuff, so I build a Squirrel model htp://www.squirreldome.com/squirrelbody1.jpg
I also had the opportunity to work on some other challenging problems. Birds can be quite an enigma. http://www.squirreldome.com/Raven05.jpg Since then I had the chance to study my own bird -- Battle Bird.
I realized of coarse that I couldn't do all the work myself. I had written a proposal for a series of over 40 episodes by now. I decided it would be best to move the project along the only way I could. I decided to finish the novel, which took me several years. It is currently in progress of being published. Now, 10 years have passed and all I can say is that I think the ludicrous amount of time I've spent on this project will be worth it.

For more information on Silver Squirrel, see http://www.squirreldome.com/silver.htm
For more artwork, see http://www.squirreldome.com/Silver_Locations.htm

elfling bard
07-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Hey great stuff you got there...Look clean and sweet.
So when do you think you will finish the teaser...?

And if you ever need a composer for your short i'd be glad to offer my services

vizion
07-12-2003, 07:57 PM
wow, 11 years on one project...that is perseverence.

dobermunk
07-12-2003, 08:02 PM
:wip: :wip: :wip:
I - and I'm sure many others - are happy to hear of this!
A novel - and then a film - and then...

... world domination!

(okay. maybe Florida)

doghat
07-12-2003, 11:02 PM
>So when do you think you will finish the teaser...?

I'm handing the manuscript to the publisher on monday, so I hope I'll have time to start thinking about it thereafter.

Weasel skeletons are still popular, right?

Kel Solaar
07-12-2003, 11:42 PM
interesting project and job :) this is great, i'm curious to see the continuation :)

thhchx
07-13-2003, 02:12 AM
I like the stuffs at the silver squirrel website.

11 years... wow... you're the iron man!!

Keep us posted:)

Adam
07-13-2003, 02:40 AM
This is very strange to me... You show a lot of dedication and have manged to show resistence to lack of technology by inventing your own. It makes me wonder why this project is so important to you to dedicate proubably an 1/8 of your life to it. I have never heard of dogwaffle before. I'm currently downloading and will give you feedback once it finishes. Anyway keep us informed and maybe post a little more about the story

Nahaz
07-13-2003, 03:05 AM
Reminds me of Watership Down.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you"

Love your artwork, stirs deep feelings of nostelgia within me.

metal me solid
07-13-2003, 03:49 AM
11 years! good grief! ths is gonna rock.. if it doesnt already, yeshhh! it does XD :!

keep it uP!:wavey: :drool: :applause:

DeathGoth
07-13-2003, 04:41 AM
nice job on your art man.... cool work...

11 yrs.... I be lucky to spend a total amount of 5 minutes on any given project i decide to do... That room I did took me like 2 and a half weeks... learning shit fron scratch and all... but it was killing me.. but i wanted to see it finished and that is getting me more then wanting to start something else... anyway really cool work... I hope to see ur idea on nic some day see my kids watching it....

BiTMAP
07-13-2003, 04:45 AM
your software is pretty nice :)

kiaran
07-13-2003, 05:56 AM
cool project. I like the art on your website. The picture you have posted here is nice. So is this a part of the two minutes of animation that you completed in '93? Is the final project going to be a 2d/3d hybrid?
Keep up the good work and let us know when your novel is published.:thumbsup:

DaJuice
07-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Very inspiring art you have on that site. Really beautiful.

-={MMC}=-Stitch
07-13-2003, 08:53 AM
wow im honestly impressed your project seems wonderful, I wish i had a fraction of your determination and dedication to digital art...also the paint program is impressive.. i need tu learn programming so i can make programs for myself anyways good luck with the project

slaughters
07-13-2003, 03:19 PM
The story is complete. You've written a pilot and several episodes. You created your own 2D paint program to let you hand draw serveral characters and backgrounds.

BUT

You said on your site you wanted to do this in 3D and it looks like your 3D work has just started, with just one model completed as of yet.

So, is this project going to be 2D or a 3D animation ?

Mechis
07-13-2003, 06:57 PM
I just wanted to say that your project is amazing!!! That is some really great artwork that you posted. This reminds me of what animated movies used to look like- warm and full of life!!! That's no joke. Movies that come to mind are: The Secret of Nimh, The Fox and the Hound, 101 Dalmations, etc. Truly wonderful. While you seem to be changing over to a 3d style, I would be ecstatic to see you do this in 2D. Your concept paintings are truly great and it would be a treat to see a 2d movie with some LIFE again!!!

dooom
07-13-2003, 10:18 PM
wonderfull images, i cant wait to see the transformation to 3d. congrats on your persistance and determination.

sonix
07-14-2003, 01:50 AM
Absolutely incredible, amazing artwork.

Sonix.

itsasunny.Com
07-14-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Adam
This is very strange to me... You show a lot of dedication and have manged to show resistence to lack of technology by inventing your own. It makes me wonder why this project is so important to you to dedicate proubably an 1/8 of your life to it. I have never heard of dogwaffle before. I'm currently downloading and will give you feedback once it finishes. Anyway keep us informed and maybe post a little more about the story

all i can say is 'everyone get to knows for the first time'

not everyone is a bill gate who has got all the money to publicize and nor everybody is as adam who cam first on the earth assuming he will know all that he had started

also in the 11 odd yrs he might have slept went to job watched movies - what do u think...

keep it up!

peterpro
07-14-2003, 08:11 AM
hey good work.

nice to see ya online.

It was great working with ya during the foundation imaging days =)

pete

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.